• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

dopke

Reaction score
I just received my modern tailor trial shirt and the fit is a little tight in the upper chest/arm hole area. For instance, if I raise my arms then the shirt becomes really restrained. What are the measurements I need to increase to loosen up that area?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put in another order. After almost 10 shirts I'm almost on the verge of giving up. It's very close to the fit I want but I just can't seem to dial it in. Hopefully this time is it.

FTR, this is not their fault - they've made all the changes I've requested and have had good customer service and I'm happy with the quality of work.

I may just have to suck it up and pay a local tailor to make a shirt for me.

I'll update when it arrives.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say I'm a satisfied customer of moderntailor. I'm wearing my trial shirt today (blue BD with thin MOP buttons) and (for the price) it's great. As near as I can tell it's an exact replica of the shirt I based the measurement off, which was a bespoke shirt I got made in Vietnam a few years ago. Consequently it's a perfect fit. The fabric is fine and there are no obvious problems with the quality of the craftsmanship.

I'd definitely consider ordering more shirts.

cl3232

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Interesting, they updated their trial shirt policy. Pretty good reason I suppose. Still recommend the B&M tailor and measuring that shirt. Its worth the premium. ProperCloth's body measurement translater works really well for athletic guys if the B&M option is too costly for you. However, tweaking your own measurements has its pitfalls.

That said, you look pretty normal to me. While a 10" drop on a shorter gentleman would be cause for concern, on a guy who's 5'10" that's not that large. Even on the 5'6" guy, its not that large. Although such a person would definitely want all his shirts made to measure. Not saying you shouldn't order MTM. With the cost of dress shirts and limitations & costs of alterations, there's not much reason not to.

I don't agree withe B&M statement. I was doing this for years and never getting good results. Store bought shirts, altered to fit a 46" chest and a 32" waist never come out good. Much better results with custom shirts ordered online. I think it just depends on how much the shirt needs altered. Extreme alterations like mine...don't turn out a nice shirt.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cl3232
I don't agree withe B&M statement. I was doing this for years and never getting good results. Store bought shirts, altered to fit a 46" chest and a 32" waist never come out good. Much better results with custom shirts ordered online. I think it just depends on how much the shirt needs altered. Extreme alterations like mine...don't turn out a nice shirt.

You misunderstand. I said get measured by a tailor in person who makes custom shirts and has a good reputation. You should make sure the tailor makes a close fitting shirt if that is what you desire.

Never said alter RTW clothing.

NoStyle14

Reaction score
Hi All,

General question on MTM. If I get MTM shirts on the regular but this time want a french cuff instead of a normal one, do I have to change any measurements? Or does the tailor take care of that themselves

Thanks.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoStyle14
Hi All,

General question on MTM. If I get MTM shirts on the regular but this time want a french cuff instead of a normal one, do I have to change any measurements? Or does the tailor take care of that themselves

Thanks.

Same question here.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's how my Modern Tailor suit turned out. The only modification I had to do was take an inch off the trousers (I measured from an odd jacket and trouser combo). I'm the guy on the left. The short dude in the middle is actually in an Indochino (he didn't need any alterations). The crouching guy bought a Hugo Boss at retail and everyone else is in your standard JC Pennys stuff. This is also a testament to not renting tuxes/suits and not being matchy-matchy at a wedding.
vgh26w.jpg

NoStyle14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I received my first shirt today from MT and it's a near perfect fit.

Stephen,

Pics or it doesn't fit.
smile.gif

slurpy123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Here's how my Modern Tailor suit turned out. The only modification I had to do was take an inch off the trousers (I measured from an odd jacket and trouser combo). I'm the guy on the left. The short dude in the middle is actually in an Indochino (he didn't need any alterations). The crouching guy bought a Hugo Boss at retail and everyone else is in your standard JC Pennys stuff. This is also a testament to not renting tuxes/suits and not being matchy-matchy at a wedding.
vgh26w.jpg

JesseJB did you give all your measurements online or send your favourite suit in?

TheVM

Reaction score
Got my trial shirt today, and I like some of you ordered it a bit to tight. I also have a few other problems I was wondering if you guys can help me with for fitting.

1. When I lift up my arms, the shirt kind of lifts up with it. Wondering if there is any changes I can make this in the shoulders to make this go away.

2. The collar sags a down a bit and creates a small fold of clothes behind my neck. I guess I have really square shoulders, and so there is to much of a rise from the shoulders to the collar. How can I fix this?

3. I paid extra, like recommended here, for the pearl buttons. Yet they are still cheap and thin as hell. Did they just forget to put them on my shirt or are they really this cheap as well? (which makes me wonder how thin the free buttons are)

thanks!

najpie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheVM
Got my trial shirt today, and I like some of you ordered it a bit to tight. I also have a few other problems I was wondering if you guys can help me with for fitting.

1. When I lift up my arms, the shirt kind of lifts up with it. Wondering if there is any changes I can make this in the shoulders to make this go away.

2. The collar sags a down a bit and creates a small fold of clothes behind my neck. I guess I have really square shoulders, and so there is to much of a rise from the shoulders to the collar. How can I fix this?

3. I paid extra, like recommended here, for the pearl buttons. Yet they are still cheap and thin as hell. Did they just forget to put them on my shirt or are they really this cheap as well? (which makes me wonder how thin the free buttons are)

thanks!

1. pics will help diagnose this, but it's normal for the shirt to lift up a bit when you raise your arms. this might be affected by your shoulder measurements
2. did u indicate that you have straight shoulders on the page where you specify body type? I find this makes a difference even if you input custom measurements.
3. did you get the thick MOP buttons (+$5 or the thin MOP buttons (+$2)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads