• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern/European Kitchen Cabinets

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What about these are dining room chairs?

23767.950F6CA9.jpg

I don't like the turning and they look really uncomfortable. I sat in 20 chairs before I bought the ones I did. They have a perfect arch in the lumbar region that makes them incredibly comfortable. Everyone comments on how comfortable they are to sit in. Unfortuntaley, even at $225/chair, some of which have hardly been sat on (cause i have 6), the legs are already getting wobbly. It pisses me off.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I don't like the turning and they look really uncomfortable. I sat in 20 chairs before I bought the ones I did. They have a perfect arch in the lumbar region that makes them incredibly comfortable. Everyone comments on how comfortable they are to sit in. Unfortuntaley, even at $225/chair, some of which have hardly been sat on (cause i have 6), the legs are already getting wobbly. It pisses me off.
I think that the traditional design in black makes for a nice coordination in a contemporary environment. What company are your chairs by?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
our designer chose all Christian Liaigre stuff

Wait, you used a designer? I'm surprised, seriously.

then were able to choose good looking stuff.
I really can't imagine someone who is into Cappellini and similar contemporary design having had a Liaigre-filled interior.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think that the traditional design in black makes for a nice coordination in a contemporary environment.

What company are your chairs by?

I'm not even sure.

If I could have my choice of interiors, it would be something along the lines of Al Pacino's office in the Devil's advocate. I loved that office. It had very little in it, had very high ceilings, exposed concrete, a fireplace in the concrete wall, and exquisitely "devilish" wooden chairs. It was really perfect for the movie imo.

I really love fireplaces that occupy a big part of a wall in modern interiors. The one that made the biggest impression on me was at a boutique hotel in montreal called hotel st-paul. The floors are dark stone, the ceilings are really high, and as soon as you walk in you see this long line of fire coming from a freestanding monolithic onyx fireplace on your left. And since onyx is translucent, the whole thing kinda glows from the inside because it's always kinda dark in there.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We went with maple cabinets in a light champagne finish from a pennsylvania-based mid-range cabinetmaker called Yorktowne. The drawers, doors and cabinet fronts are solid wood, the guts are MDF. I'm still not sure it was better than Ikea. The drawers are solid wood, rather than metal and plastic, and the hardware is full-extension, soft-close blum hardware. Hardwood drawers look pretty, but I don't know if they're more practical than the Ikea stuff.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
We went with maple cabinets in a light champagne finish from a pennsylvania-based mid-range cabinetmaker called Yorktowne. The drawers, doors and cabinet fronts are solid wood, the guts are MDF. I'm still not sure it was better than Ikea. The drawers are solid wood, rather than metal and plastic, and the hardware is full-extension, soft-close blum hardware. Hardwood drawers look pretty, but I don't know if they're more practical than the Ikea stuff.

Ikea stuff can look really good, even in a higher end kitchen. I remember zj posted a pic of his downtown pad. He had ikea cabinets and his kitchen looked fantastic. If I ever have to budget on a kitchen and can't afford high-end everything, it will be the cabinets i skimp on, and not the 60" Thermador range, nice fridge, granite counters, or wine cellar.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Wait, you used a designer? I'm surprised, seriously.
Originally, yes. A lesson learned. When we changed up, we did not. I have a good friend who worked for Cappellini for years, so he helped us a little, but not too much.
I really can't imagine someone who is into Cappellini and similar contemporary design having had a Liaigre-filled interior.
Hard for me to imagine too, but we were young and knew no better
frown.gif

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using a "cabinet-depth refrigerator?" Are they too small? Does the consistent profile across the space look good?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Originally, yes. A lesson learned. When we changed up, we did not. I have a good friend who worked for Cappellini for years, so he helped us a little, but not too much.

Hard for me to imagine too, but we were young and knew no better
frown.gif

Ah... so this was like 15 years ago?
boxing[1].gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Does anyone have experience using a "cabinet-depth refrigerator?" Are they too small? Does the consistent profile across the space look good?

Too small, IMHO. And you can do things, like make bump-outs, to address the depth differential if it bothers you.

Actually, bumping is now in, even if not for fridges. People bump their stoves, their sinks, etc. I went for a 30" deep, 36" wide fridge and I still sometimes wish it was bigger.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too small, IMHO. And you can do things, like make bump-outs, to address the depth differential if it bothers you.

Actually, bumping is now in, even if not for fridges. People bump their stoves, their sinks, etc. I went for a 30" deep, 36" wide fridge and I still sometimes wish it was bigger.

Personally, I want a massive built-in fridge that is flush with the cabines.

ccc123

Reaction score
SieMatic, Pedini, Snaidero, Boffi - all great also Smallbone in england.

check out www.woodweb.com - you can get lots of help inspiration and information there!

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, man.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the best "budget" examples I've seen of using stock Ikea cabinets to create a similar look to Boffi et al:

KitchenView2.jpg

(Kitchen is in a renovated midcentury modern Palmer & Krisel house in San Diego -- not mine.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads