• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score
So those Disguisery strides are 700% more expensive in inflation-adjusted terms as a pair of '69 Levi Sta Prest.
They do look nice though.

flyfronted

Reaction score
So those Disguisery strides are 700% more expensive in inflation-adjusted terms as a pair of '69 Levi Sta Prest.
They do look nice though.

Levi Sta prest were mass made though . As with anything if you can afford it and want it enough your pay for it . I think Levi Sta prest in 69 were just under 4 sovs - £63.00 in todays money .

Newton heath

Reaction score
I didn't know anyone who put anything in their hair, but there was something called Vitalis used by some ,with longer hair, like our friend from Bermondsey on the left. I believe it was a non-greasy iliquid that dried to a no shine finish. Brylcreem was by then an old mans hair dressing.
If I remember correctly vitalis was advertised by Bobby Moore on tv , whenever West Ham Utd came to old Trafford , the great man would get “ you can stick your vitalis up your arse “ every time he touched the ball , also brylcream was definitely for dads and grandads.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Once upon a time, if you bought a Ben Sherman it came in a box like this

IMG_20190214_134820.jpg

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly vitalis was advertised by Bobby Moore on tv , whenever West Ham Utd came to old Trafford , the great man would get “ you can stick your vitalis up your arse “ every time he touched the ball , also brylcream was definitely for dads and grandads.
I recall going to some barbers back in the day and once the hair cut was complete they would reach for the Bryl*ream. They didn't ask and if you weren't quick they would be slapping it on yer hair. .I always thought the stuff was disgusting, not helped by the fact that you would still see the occasional Ted wannabe back then too and they were obviously the guys keeping Brylc*ream in business . .

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And it cost 65 shillings.This was the box that came with my Mint coloured Ben Sherman bought from Mintz shop Romford 69/70

View attachment 1126136
Nice box. .
I suppose 65/- was the £3.99 of its day , try and make it sound less expensive. .

I recall a company that would always advertise their suites at £999.99

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I don't want to imagine the amount of man sweat a 49 year old shirt has gone through, then again that could apply to vintage jeans too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads