• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

andyf

Reaction score
My mate and I interviewed Saxby about his time with The Last Resort in some detail if you're interested. He also told us what he wore as a 'baby skin' in the early 70s...
https://creaseslikeknives.wordpress.com/2017/04/30/sometimes-good-guys-wear-white-sta-prest/

I understand 'Skinhead Anthems' was only supposed to be another demo, but Micky French of the Last Resort shop published it as a proper album after the band had split up - apparently w/o anyone's permission.

As for the Resort/C84 'Death or Glory' split, beside the Saxby tape it also contains a couple of Roi vocals (including 'Stormtroopers in Sta Prest', which they later toned down to 'Skinheads in Sta Prest'). Not sure if anyone heard these before 'Death or Glory' came out in 87 - was there another tape?

'Skinhead Anthems' has a few classics, but they could have been performed and recorded better. I find the 'Death or Glory' cuts vastly more powerful.
That’s a good interview cheers

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Do people still swap clothes, not retro or vintage or internet but coming home in different clothes than you went out in?

Not really, but when I haven't really worn something for a while (and it isn't likely to fetch loads on ebay) I'll write a note on FB and post it to whoever fancies it for P&P expenses only. The same has been done for me.

Last edited:

Bela Kun

Reaction score
I swapped a Union Jack t shirt I didn't wear much for a red harrington. The younger lot no doubt see politics written all over that but there really wasn't any.

Maybe it's because I'm a bloody foreigner, but even though I've lived in the UK for years now I still don't have any political connotations when I see the union jack. I tend to think punk (Sex Pistols), 'mod' (The Who, The Jam, Carnaby Street), and 80s Oi skins. Having grown up on the continent, those are the main contexts in which I've encountered the union jack: fashion, pop art and subculture rather than politics. And for whatever reason, the far right tends to use the St George's flag nowadays (probably to appeal to football lads).

Last edited:

andyf

Reaction score
I’ve just seen a pair of size 7 tredair oxblood Hawkins boots on eBay for £195. 1970s only worn a couple of times
They look mint and such a difference in quality and no yellow stitching round welt

Last edited:

Inkss

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the Channel 4 News segment about the 50th anniversary of Trojan Records the other day ?
I only caught the last few seconds of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads