• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Micky saw those jackets, not Cass. He is a few years older. In the late 60s, Micky was a young Mile End Mob skinhead wearing the full kit, fighting on the terraces, etc.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned the Mile End mob (wasn't it so that Leather usaaf flight jackets could only be bought in Brixton around '68?), Bunty, they got mentioned recently in the article about the South London Mods and on the same site but an older article (that was more focused on the gang side of Mods) also mentioned a few other mod crews including Somers Town, also got mentioned here, interesting to see them still going strong into the skinhead era.

Anyone knows if the other mod crews mentioned where still around back then? The Highbury mob, The Mars (Blackstock Road), Elephant and Castle and The Archway mob on which the author himself was part off?

Hello mate, the story goes that in 67 or 68 some lads from Waltham Cross knew lads from East London and invited them down to a club in Cheshunt What happened next went down in local mod history.These geezers (The Mile End Crew/Mob) came in, dressed identically in THOSE jackets (which they never took off all night !) levis with a small turn up , and very short parted hair with sidies. They all danced the same in a different style (in a line) that nobody was doing yet and of course the girls descended on them....Local boys were not at all impressed but were in awe.
[/QUOTE]

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question, and one that I've puzzled over. That's why I said 'mis-transcription' - could this have been something wrongly quoted by whoever compiled the book. Could it have meant an MA-1 and the editor has interpolated 'leather'?

We were often subject to misquotation, or simply being misheard. I'll just mention the words "spy kids." :colgate:

The way he says leather jacket maybe he meant the sheepskin/shearling B3 types. They would have been hard to get hold of but maybe showed up on rare occasion. Could have been an early indicator of skins wearing sheepskins which did become popular, or maybe one or two lads got lucky with a find in the surplus store and tried them out to be different? Just speculating here of course.

flyfronted

Reaction score
The book was officially authored by "Cass Pennant & Micky Smith". It's written in the first person from Micky Smith's POV, although it seems that Cass was heavily involved in researching and co-writing it. Cass is a famous West Ham/ICF hooligan who spent much of his life around skinheads, of course, but I'm not sure how familiar he is with the dress codes of the 'originals' (he was 11 in 1969). There are no hints at any other ghostwriters ("with the help of..." or suchlike), so I'm guessing it's just those two in close collaboration.

It's an entry in the 'hoolie lit' genre, and 99.9% of it focuses on battles between different football firms. The bit that I quoted is the only one where he can't help himself and starts talking about clothes.

2 rules when reading football hooligan books 1. they only write about the victories 2. west ham ones are utter fantasy

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
WnlbtAW.jpg

UU4UICr.jpg

elokt3j.jpg

UZqoiCW.jpg

5gVVZOp.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads