• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

flyfronted

Reaction score
Good pic there, but for those who disdain the revival skin look for being so reductive to the point of uniform (18 holer cherry reds, bleached half mast jeans, MA-1s) this pic shows that some original skins weren’t above dressing like clones too.

If there’s any reason why the original skin look faded / evolved / changed / disappeared it could be that it was quite narrow and didn’t have a huge scope for experimentation and change within the look.

that and the fact all working class lads fashions are built upon one upman ship so as soon as the provinces have nicked your look its time to move on ( for better or worse )

Bela Kun

Reaction score
I actually like the reductiveness to the point of near-uniformity, which is a welcome affront to the pseudo-individualism of most fashion and its victims. Not being contrarian here, it's just one of the main aspects that I'm into. Having said that, there's obviously room for variation within the grid - "freedom through limitation", as Billy Childish might put it. And as time passes, I guess I find myself seeking out items that echo the theme w/o necessarily being part of the kit - or add bits of 'my own style' (invariably someone else's, you're never the first).

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Makes me laugh how some people think everything started in london or everyone copied london, like places in the north never had there own styles and cultures, not forgetting the regional differences.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes me laugh how some people think everything started in london or everyone copied london, like places in the north never had there own styles and cultures, not forgetting the regional differences.

Well, having seen both sides of it and seen it happen, I can tell you that many things seem to do just that. It's not an inviolable rule, and other localities do adapt things and have their own individual spin-offs and even innovations around a theme, but so much actually does originate in London.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
"Dress of the day was Ben Sherman or Brutus shirts (the short-sleeved red check being a favourite), Levi Sta Prest trousers in white or off grey turned up to the top of the high leg Dr Marten's boots or American officer dress boots, sleeveless jumpers, thin red or black braces and a decent overcoat or sheepskin coat - or, if you could find it - an American leather flying jacket. On match days it was boots, either Dr Marten's or steel-capped cherry reds, Levi's jean and a decent sweatshirt, braces and a flying jacket or monkey jacket".

- Micky Smith describes the late 60s look of the Mile End mob in Cass Pennant/Micky Smith: "Want Some Aggro?"

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
I actually like the reductiveness to the point of near-uniformity, which is a welcome affront to the pseudo-individualism of most fashion and its victims. Not being contrarian here, it's just one of the main aspects that I'm into. Having said that, there's obviously room for variation within the grid - "freedom through limitation", as Billy Childish might put it. And as time passes, I guess I find myself seeking out items that echo the theme w/o necessarily being part of the kit - or add bits of 'my own style' (invariably someone else's, you're never the first).
Back in 69/70 as a young skinhead (12-13), we very much liked the specificity and uniformity of the look and were extremely happy when everyone was turned out near identical. Obviously I didn't analyze at the time, but I reckon it was before some of us had the confidence to take a few more risks with our appearance. Also keep in mind as kids we never had the money to get beyond the basics.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Dress of the day was Ben Sherman or Brutus shirts (the short-sleeved red check being a favourite), Levi Sta Prest trousers in white or off grey turned up to the top of the high leg Dr Marten's boots or American officer dress boots, sleeveless jumpers, thin red or black braces and a decent overcoat or sheepskin coat - or, if you could find it - an American leather flying jacket. On match days it was boots, either Dr Marten's or steel-capped cherry reds, Levi's jean and a decent sweatshirt, braces and a flying jacket or monkey jacket".

- Micky Smith describes the late 60s look of the Mile End mob in Cass Pennant/Micky Smith: "Want Some Aggro?"

I have often wondered about that, and whether it was some kind of mis-description or mis-transcription. I never saw anyone anywhere in an A2 back in the day. I did see MA-1s in S E London in early 1970 when a batch came into local surplus stores.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
I have often wondered about that, and whether it was some kind of mis-description or mis-transcription. I never saw anyone anywhere in an A2 back in the day. I did see MA-1s in S E London in early 1970 when a batch came into local surplus stores.

What else might he mean, though? He does say "if you could find it", implying they were probably very rarely seen.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Maybe worth considering the close proximity of Silvermans store in Mile End Road, which apparently stocked surplus items that were unavailable elsewhere (or before they went on general release) into the 80s.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question, and one that I've puzzled over. That's why I said 'mis-transcription' - could this have been something wrongly quoted by whoever compiled the book. Could it have meant an MA-1 and the editor has interpolated 'leather'?

We were often subject to misquotation, or simply being misheard. I'll just mention the words "spy kids." :colgate:

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Hmm... possible, but would the author not notice that when reading back the manuscript? Also, he mentions 'flying jacket' separately when listing match day gear in the next sentence.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know the book, so I don't know whether 'Micky Smith' actually wrote the section where he is quoted, or was interviewed by someone else. If the latter, then no, he would be unlikely to have read the manuscript before it went to publication. [Is he talking about a single garment or two distinct garments when he mentions the flying jacket the second time?]

As for being misquoted, it happened so many times to me that I just gave up!

Now, having said that, I am trying to remember where I heard/read of a bunch of blokes (late mod era?) turning up at a club all wearing Levis, white FPs, A2 jackets, and brown loafers, or whether I'm imagining it.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
The book was officially authored by "Cass Pennant & Micky Smith". It's written in the first person from Micky Smith's POV, although it seems that Cass was heavily involved in researching and co-writing it. Cass is a famous West Ham/ICF hooligan who spent much of his life around skinheads, of course, but I'm not sure how familiar he is with the dress codes of the 'originals' (he was 11 in 1969). There are no hints at any other ghostwriters ("with the help of..." or suchlike), so I'm guessing it's just those two in close collaboration.

It's an entry in the 'hoolie lit' genre, and 99.9% of it focuses on battles between different football firms. The bit that I quoted is the only one where he can't help himself and starts talking about clothes.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if he was 11 in 69, may I suggest he might have seen a suede or leather bomber jacket, or one of those plus an MA-1, rather than an A2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads