• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Reyt BagoShyte fella. Somebody gi em ya out of a lucky bag? Not a patch on them 2nd hand ones I bought for £2 from early morning (6=30am or else best shoes were gone!) stall at Sheaf Market in early 70's wi mi paper round money!

I haven't got that opportunity unfortunately, no need for the aggro mate.

I like em, if someone else does not they can go ***************. I'm too old to give a **** what other people think.

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Yeh, I remember that. The undercover stall at sheaf market, then pop into harringtons to try some jeans on where you had to go up the stepladders to the changing rooms!

Where was sheaf market in shef? im not actually a sheffielder, im a mexbro lad.

benj84

Reaction score
Where was sheaf market in shef? im not actually a sheffielder, im a mexbro lad.
yeah just down near the parkway, if you know down there. Then after looking for shoes we used to go in the indoor market and my mam used to treat us to a big bag of broken biscuits for a quid. ( I think Jarvis mentioned those in one of pulps songs too)

pressuredrop

Reaction score
Photos are actually from a track day in San Diego significantly earlier than the filming of Lemans. Photo archive says 1959. If I was to guess I'd say they are probably an old pair of boxing boots he found comfortable to drive in. Ironically, there are photos of him training at boxing but he appears to be wearing plimsolls for that.

Muddied is right!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. These waters are already pretty muddy!

Those are probably driving boots, if that's from the 'Le Mans' film set.

Can't really see it from those photos, but the rubber soles would extend about an inch or two up the back of the heel.

They are driving boots. Jim Rockford wears the same style boots in the much superior racing film 'Grand Prix'. Before the Nomex gear they all wear now the drivers wore cotton overalls and leather lace-up boots.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of Moon and Townsend of The High Numbers wearing a similar boot, but in this case I'd say it's a bowling boot.

whomonkey.jpg

lynx69

Reaction score
Few weeks ago I ordered those WW2 monkey boots from Japanese seller mentioned earlier and today they arrived.
Monkey1_qfhp0c.jpg
Monkey2_eosnin.jpg

I was hoping they will have something stamped on them (production numbers, Czechoslovakia army logo or manufacturer logo), whoever there is nothing :-( There is only handwritten with marker something what looks like Czechoslovakia female surname. Whoever I don't know when, by which company and for who they were made. Btw when I unpacked them a took them in my hand they strongly reminded me Czechoslovakia partisan boots made by Svit, the leather is almost identical. I don't know why i never see the similarity.
Svit1_6_vjtcuq.jpg

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Few weeks ago I ordered those WW2 monkey boots from Japanese seller mentioned earlier and today they arrived.
Monkey1_qfhp0c.jpg
Monkey2_eosnin.jpg

I was hoping they will have something stamped on them (production numbers, Czechoslovakia army logo or manufacturer logo), whoever there is nothing :-( There is only handwritten with marker something what looks like Czechoslovakia female surname. Whoever I don't know when, by which company and for who they were made. Btw when I unpacked them a took them in my hand they strongly reminded me Czechoslovakia partisan boots made by Svit, the leather is almost identical. I don't know why i never see the similarity.
Svit1_6_vjtcuq.jpg

Look good them, the partisan boots are interesting too.

LeviStubbsTears

Reaction score
They are driving boots. Jim Rockford wears the same style boots in the much superior racing film 'Grand Prix'. Before the Nomex gear they all wear now the drivers wore cotton overalls and leather lace-up boots.

This lead me to a google search as I've never seen the film. Couldn't find any pictures of Garner in boots (although there were some of Yves Montand wearing them), but the driving loafers he's wearing are pretty sleek and attractive.

I'm going to track this movie down on your recommendation, looks like there is a good bit of style on display in it.

grand-prix-2.png

The Syllabus

Reaction score
I haven't got that opportunity unfortunately, no need for the aggro mate.

I like em, if someone else does not they can go ***************. I'm too old to give a **** what other people think.

If you don't give a ****, why are you whining like a little girl? Surely if I'd have wanted to be arsey I could have said something like "This what happens when soppy young kids who haven't got a clue are let loose" but I didn't, did I? What you need to remember is this, when you post on a public forum you're leaving yourself open to a whole range of opinions, good or bad? In future you need to grow thicker skin if you're posting. You obviously thought you were the dogs bollocks in the shoes. I think you look like a BagoShyte, because of the cheap nasty leather and construction of the shoe. There is a saying "You only get what you pay for" and if you've paid £200 for them, you've been had fella.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look pretty boss. I'd definitely get a pair if they weren't leather. I've actually got a vintage pair I hope to have reproduced in the microfiber.

If you're a size UK9, I'll sell mine to you, unused and tried on, not outside, for cheap. I definitely don't want them, as they looked sleeker on the computer than in real life. PM if interested, Nik.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
If you're a size UK9, I'll sell mine to you, unused and tried on, not outside, for cheap. I definitely don't want them, as they looked sleeker on the computer than in real life. PM if interested, Nik.
I appreciate the offer but I don't wear leather. I have a vintage pair that I'm saving for design purposes.
Thanks for thinking of me though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads