• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Not as baggy as the us army trousers? i love the button belt loops, i think think they would look great as part of an early skinhead look, they are dirt cheap too, unlike reproduction and vintage og 107 trousers, maybe avoid the ones with the side cargo pocket thou

Well said DJ. Tend to avoid anything with a Cargo Pocket me'self.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Doubt, Fruitbat aside, there's anyone on here who recalls it but there was a fantastic shop for surplus services stuff down by Warren Street Station, called Lawerence Corner. It was a world unto itself that one.

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
I always like going into surplus shops me'self, always exciting to think what i will find, and that distinctive surplus smell, much more enjoyable then the shops on the high street.

And thigh cargo pockets are a bit too 80's skin to me, think trousers look better without em

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, was off by a generation
1f61d.png
Yeh , the Merovingian isn't that old. .
smile.gif

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Remember Laurence Corner well.

Think it was around 73 that I'd be in there all the time. There was a phase where a few football boys took to wandering around in blue, sort of wool, sailors trousers. I can't remember everything about them but they were wide legged and I think, high waisted. Was a funny old time. Bit later, it was back to Lawerence Corner for white canvas Sailor shoes. They were leather soled. Mmm, good old shop that...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of interesting clippings that came from a facebook group.

Now, to me the term 'suedehead' was one I only heard a couple of times in SE London in 1970, then never again. It was only ever jokingly used as a very brief transition in look, in 1970, between skinhead and arty. Honestly it was never a thing. So it always comes as a complete surprise to me when I hear that elsewhere it was made into a... thing.

Is it a thing? Well, the press thought so, to an extent, and I guess the blokes they interviewed did. I still shake my head in disbelief, though. I know, I know...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Here are a couple of interesting clippings that came from a facebook group.

Now, to me the term 'suedehead' was one I only heard a couple of times in SE London in 1970, then never again. It was only ever jokingly used as a very brief transition in look, in 1970, between skinhead and arty. Honestly it was never a thing. So it always comes as a complete surprise to me when I hear that elsewhere it was made into a... thing.

Is it a thing? Well, the press thought so, to an extent, and I guess the blokes they interviewed did. I still shake my head in disbelief, though. I know, I know...

To illustrate the 'suedehead' press-cuts :

'Wolverhampton lads the Temple Street Mafia 1970'

Last edited:

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
It was and wasn't a thing. If anyone used the term it always seemed to be in a jokey or self-conscious manner. Nonetheless, it was used and it was a different look/vibe from Skinheads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads