• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Hopefully more pics will be posted, i would've posted em here but dunno if the owner would of liked that, there all over facebook now anyway.

in the meantime ive made a gif of the skins from breaking of bumbo, its too big to upload on here.

http://imgur.com/a/VBuG1

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the Irony of your user name & avatar.. as Bowie (Cover of Low) was as responsible as anyone for the popularity of the wedge ......

Well I don't accept that Bowie's barnet is even a wedge in that pic. He grew it long on top and in front, and languidly pushed it back with varying results but you can't tell if it's asymmetric. That album came out in 77. I realize fashions took some time to arrive oop north but it was summer 1980, Lipps Inc was high on the chart with 'Funkytown' and 'disco boys' (many ex Mods and skins) started popping up in clubs wearing hooped t shirts, baggy arsed carpenter jeans by Jesus, navy canvas deck shoes and with that exact ridiculous barnet sported a few years later by Weller. I never associated it with Bowie.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Regarding haircuts many years later.......

http://www.mancky.co.uk/?p=2735

I've read bits of this book some time ago and from what I recall some of the styles worn and claims made as to when , rang dubious to me ?
Make of it what you will.
This really belongs in TLGO thread IMO.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
His ZIGGER ZAGGER chant became famous nationwide and is still sung at Chelsea home and aways . However none match Mickeys gusto .
Was hounded out of his job at BR by the tabloids because of alleged connections with the Shed mob and died a broken man. i found this tribute on a Chelsea site .

In a first for our growing Chelsea legends series, we take a look at someone who never played for the club, but was instrumental in creating Chelsea's famous terrace culture.

Micky Greenaway was a larger than life character, and every Shedite has a tale or two about the legendary leader of the Shed End.

Throughout the 60's. 70's and 80's, Greenaway was an awe inspiring figure, leading the Shed End in some magnificent chanting that puts some of our current atmospheres to shame!

Legend has it that after a trip to see the blues play Liverpool at Anfield, Micky was inspired by the Spion Kop and chose to recreate something similar at Stamford bridge, a center for all of the most passionate supporters.

The Shed End was chosen because of it's acoustics, the roof helping to direct the boisterous chanting towards the pitch, and despite the fact that the Shed was not the best place for singing and chanting due to it's uncovered nature, the fans still pumped out magnificent atmosphere's. Even West Ham's Cass Pennant ended up admitting that we had the best singers in London.

Chelsea can attribute some of our most famous chants to Greenaway, indeed he gained his fame at home and abroad for his chanting of the Zigger Zagger song, which is now a Chelsea classic. He was truly a leader in terms of singing and chanting, when others around him got a bit quiet he would simply sing louder, encouraging more fans to join in!

Despite many accusations that he was involved in some of the Shed End's infamous firms, the general consensus amongst those who actually knew him was far different.

'Micky liked people and he wasn't in the business of hurting anyone,' said a former acquaintance.

Indeed, there are even stories of Mick stopping fighting if there were children in the way. He often showed up at the bridge wearing a business suit and carrying a briefcase, hardly the dress of a hooligan leader the Mirror painted him as!

Like most Chelsea fans on the Shed, he did steam in when it was unavoidable, but usually left it to the likes of Danny 'Eccles' Arkins and Steve 'Icky' Hickmott.

In the 90's, Micky's life was ruined by the press, who spun stories of him being a leader of a Chelsea firm and organizing riots, despite much evidence to the contrary. Because of the baseless accusations from the press, Micky lost his job and sadly was banned from the ground.

Without Chelsea in his life, many say he took a turn for the worst, and the Shed simply was not quite the same without our inspiring leader.

Mick passed away in August of 1999, and was buried in Hither Green. He was a true leader of the Shed, a man responsible for Chelsea's famous terrace culture and if it was not for him our club would just not be the same.

Next time you sing Zigger Zagger or Ten Men Went to Mow, take a moment to remember Mick, a true terrace legend and a true Chelsea legend.

R.I.P. Micky Greenaway.

There was a face up there with surname Greenaway ??

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Remember that when I got mine there was a rail of 5 or 10 and they all seemed slightly different, things like a different shade of green on the zip strip like they were made in different factories or different years (and all were green too). Of course you got the one you liked the look of back then, not checking the label to find the exact one that Steve McQueen wore (as if you would know anyway from seeing it once on tv)

Flip of Holywood used to be great for MA-1's , they would tend to have some great vintage numbers as well as the odd Alpha ones as well . Sadly , Flip disappeared from these shores a while ago and most of the military surplus shops have gone too , perhaps another industry killed off by the online shop. .

Fruitbat

Reaction score
There used to be a Flip in Long Acre Covent Garden.
Re Greenaway he had an incredibly loud voice- you could hear his zigger zagger if you were in the opposite stand.
People used to stand up and give him a round of applause when he took his seat before the game.
In his own way he was one of the most famous/ unfamous people in London

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
There used to be a Flip in Long Acre Covent Garden.
Re Greenaway he had an incredibly loud voice- you could hear his zigger zagger if you were in the opposite stand.
People used to stand up and give him a round of applause when he took his seat before the game.
In his own way he was one of the most famous/ unfamous people in London

In another way- he wasn't.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
I think the modern ones go wrong in one of two ways - slim fit and unpadded so too formless or padded with thin outer so too bulbous. I remember the old ones as being padded but with curves flattened by a more rigid outer and with a more complex form in the construction, like the inner was cut a bit different to the outer giving it some shape and some 'slink'. 210 denier nylon feels about right for the outer

Judging from my limited experience with MA-1s (I still only wear them occassionally), I suspect there's a great deal of truth to Covskin's theory.

Here's my two MA-1s in direct comparison:

On top, a vintage 1961 USAF MA-1 by Skyline. Below, a modern Alpha MA-1 VF59 (based on a mid 50s model). As you can see, the vintage one definitely has more shape and rigidity to it - just as covskin suggested.

Perhaps counterintuitively, though, I prefer the VF59 as the slimmer fit looks better on me in real life (unlike in the pics, where I think the opposite is true). Also, the vintage Skyline has so many tiny holes and irremovable stains, it has entered a level of scruffiness that's no longer tolerable.

What I can't wear at all are regular modern Alpha MA-1s and similar, which are like huge shapeless balloons.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering what's happening on the wall behind me: that's Naomi Campbell being bummed by a cheetah. It can be difficult to convince girlfriends of the artistic value of this poster.

Last edited:

Harold Shand

Reaction score
Well I don't accept that Bowie's barnet is even a wedge in that pic. He grew it long on top and in front, and languidly pushed it back with varying results but you can't tell if it's asymmetric. That album came out in 77. I realize fashions took some time to arrive oop north but it was summer 1980, Lipps Inc was high on the chart with 'Funkytown' and 'disco boys' (many ex Mods and skins) started popping up in clubs wearing hooped t shirts, baggy arsed carpenter jeans by Jesus, navy canvas deck shoes and with that exact ridiculous barnet sported a few years later by Weller. I never associated it with Bowie.
You know I don't really consider it a wedge either, but it is considered the genesis of the wedge haircut in Liverpool. ( Doroth Hamill in the south).
There's many articles & testaments substantiating the fact, but Phil Thornton's (excellent) Casuals book probably covers it best.

Fruitbat

Reaction score

This is a good example of the short side parting that was popular circa 81, amongst lads whose hair wasn't straight enough for a wedge

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads