• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Fruitbat

Reaction score
You had to have pretty straight hair to have a wedge.
Another popular haircut during the early 80s amongst working class Londoners was the short side parting- ' Bermondsey Bank Robber' look.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Steve McQueen in MA1.
A few posters have remarked that newer versions of flight jackets lack the ' puffiness' of the originals.

I think the modern ones go wrong in one of two ways - slim fit and unpadded so too formless or padded with thin outer so too bulbous. I remember the old ones as being padded but with curves flattened by a more rigid outer and with a more complex form in the construction, like the inner was cut a bit different to the outer giving it some shape and some 'slink'. 210 denier nylon feels about right for the outer

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the modern ones go wrong in one of two ways - slim fit and unpadded so too formless or padded with thin outer so too bulbous. I remember the old ones as being padded but with curves flattened by a more rigid outer and with a more complex form in the construction, like the inner was cut a bit different to the outer giving it some shape and some 'slink'. 210 denier nylon feels about right for the outer

I think the solution to this particular dilemma is to buy a vintage MA-1 , preferably a 6ts vintage as they have the wool batting in them which gives the jacket a better shape and will also keep you warm when you are languishing on the terraces on a cold Saturday afternoon ..

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the solution to this particular dilemma is to buy a vintage MA-1 , preferably a 6ts vintage as they have the wool batting in them which gives the jacket a better shape and will also keep you warm when you are languishing on the terraces on a cold Saturday afternoon ..

Precisely. The only problem is that they're TOO warm for many situations.

benj84

Reaction score

will languish on the terrace all winter long in a short sleeve Ben Sherman if we get promoted this season.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
In terms of never before seen photos of skins/ suedeheads, we could have hit the motherload boys.
Check out the shed end forum- Chelsea Vintage section- 70s Shed Boys.
Watch this space....

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
In terms of never before seen photos of skins/ suedeheads, we could have hit the motherload boys.
Check out the shed end forum- Chelsea Vintage section- 70s Shed Boys.
Watch this space....
Anyone might think you had an agenda Fruitbat.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I'm actually barred from that site-long story- however if anyone would care to join up and PM the fella, it could be interesting...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prob cos they were made to be worn at high altitude.

You don't say...
1f644.png

1f604.png

My point is that the authentic ones are less versatile than the Alpha Industries ones and the market stall knock-offs, as they are SO warm. I find myself wearing mine in only on VERY cold days.
Gotta say though, the old school ones teally do hold their shape whether it's due to the woolly or wool/cotton futter, the heavy nylon shell, or a combination of both. Defo have a certain "look" to them, and you can clock the difference from the reissues and knockoffs a mile away.

Last edited:

Harold Shand

Reaction score
A wedge was a short back and sides with side parting, kept short and undercut on one side of the parting and grown long and floppy with a fringe on the other side. There was a brief and very lamentable period when Weller tried this in the early Style Council days (check out the cover for 'Internationalists'). Usually worn by trendy disco boys, it looked absolutely shite!
Love the Irony of your user name & avatar.. as Bowie (Cover of Low) was as responsible as anyone for the popularity of the wedge ......

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Defo have a certain "look" to them, and you can clock the difference from the reissues and knockoffs a mile away.

Remember that when I got mine there was a rail of 5 or 10 and they all seemed slightly different, things like a different shade of green on the zip strip like they were made in different factories or different years (and all were green too). Of course you got the one you liked the look of back then, not checking the label to find the exact one that Steve McQueen wore (as if you would know anyway from seeing it once on tv)

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Remember that when I got mine there was a rail of 5 or 10 and they all seemed slightly different, things like a different shade of green on the zip strip like they were made in different factories or different years (and all were green too). Of course you got the one you liked the look of back then, not checking the label to find the exact one that Steve McQueen wore (as if you would know anyway from seeing it once on tv)

Of course not, I'm not saying that at all; and yes there were a good few different manufacturers and issues of MA-1 and similar jackets over the years. I'm by no means an expert or interested in the nuances of such. The only reason I know the difference is personal experience. Ever since I was 15 years old, I wore Alpha flight jackets. In my 30s I found a vintage one and was surprised at the superiority of shape, fit, and warmth. Checked the tags and noticed all the wool content and "light dawned on Marblehead" as to why they were better. I've since acquired a Real McCoy's one that replaced my beat-up old one. An excellent reproduction that I would never shell out the money for these days(back when I bought it I had more of a ca $h operation)
Cov, I assume that closer to the time they were made, there were probably more original MA-1's in circulation(back in your day). Now as we're all too well aware, anything vintage or original is priced accordingly... through the roof!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads