• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inks

Reaction score
Actually, taking another look at Moore, his sleeves are too short as well, the whole jacket looks like he squeezed into it! Just like this:

f4c9de20f3ab843593241907aa73b54c67caf241.jpg

I think the 'way too much shirt-cuff showing/short suit sleeves' might have been a thing in the very early 70s (71/72). Dave Allen, Charlie Endell in Budgie and Roger Moore were all wearing whistles that flashed near enough the whole blummin cuff at that time.
In the 1971 'Everybody Loves a Baby' episode of Budgie, Johnny Shannon is wearing a 2-button mohair suit with an identical sleeve to cuff ratio as the one Alexei Sayle is wearing above.

Sean Carlson

Reaction score
I've been mulling over doing a book for the years of 66-74 but then starting thinking about doing a webzine... Well, this has changed into being an online archive for the same years. I want to record everything from news, to stories, music, pictures, etc. Properly dating pictures and properly presenting them as I see a lot of images of mods being called "peanuts" or skins, "peanuts" being called suedeheads, skins being called suedeheads, suedeheads being called smoothies, and smoothies being called bootboys.

If anyone has any concerns, ideas, comments, contributions, or would like to be a contributor, please, let me know.

These years are the most important; especially 66 to 69 and I want to do right for it before the originals are not with us anymore.

Thanks!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a lighter note, here's ol' Gary Hodges in '81 sporting a 4-button??!! FP polo. Any info on these? Real-deal lost classic or market stall tat?

NEVER seen a four button before. Also that emblem looks suspiciously close to the placket when it ought to be out further on the chest.

Where would we be if Fred had taken up cricket? Probably wearing Lacoste's which IMO pound for pound are better quality anyway, although I do have a few FPs.

Look closely and you see Connery wearing a navy FP as Bond in Thunderball briefly. It's in the scene when he escapes from snooping around the disco volante and Fiona Volpe gives him a lift back to the hotel in her Mustang.

TomMc666

Reaction score
NEVER seen a four button before. Also that emblem looks suspiciously close to the placket when it ought to be out further on the chest.

Where would we be if Fred had taken up cricket? Probably wearing Lacoste's which IMO pound for pound are better quality anyway, although I do have a few FPs.

Look closely and you see Connery wearing a navy FP as Bond in Thunderball briefly. It's in the scene when he escapes from snooping around the disco volante and Fiona Volpe gives him a lift back to the hotel in her Mustang.
knowing Hodges dont think he'd have been wearing a snide, bjt you never know.... these look similar but the laurel seems to be missing in the first, will see if I have any others

Think this was possibly a 4 button....probably a three though! Prefer Lacoste myself, go a bit crazy in the Lacoste outlets on Black Friday....

Last edited:

SoCalBoy

Reaction score

On a lighter note, here's ol' Gary Hodges in '81 sporting a 4-button??!! FP polo. Any info on these? Real-deal lost classic or market stall tat?

At first glance I thought it might've been "market stall tat" because the laurel is very close to the chest placket, common on many counterfeit Fred Perry items, but who knows. I'm sure the sussed geezers that make up the 4-Skins and their roadies would not be caught dead in somethin' like that. haha

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's from before the time that 'branding' took off as a concept in the late 80s. Logos, fonts and the like were not always seen as having value in themselves so were not always tightly specified, the value was in the product itself. Now the other way around of course, leading to much more imitation. Oh how we have progressed...

Last edited:

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Back in 1969 we always wore our braces over Fred Perrys but never over a jumper or sleeveless jumpers

Was a thing done by the younger skins i think, plenty of pics showing that practice, tho this is 1970/71 i think.

I don't wear fred perrys anymore but i never wore them with braces when i did, looks better with a belt imo.

Last edited:

Stingy Brim

Reaction score
Was a thing done by the younger skins i think, plenty of pics showing that practice, tho this is 1970/71 i think.

I don't wear fred perrys anymore but i never wore them with braces when i did, looks better with a belt imo.

Great pic, the guy on the right esp. seems to be in a 'transitional' stage. Also highlights the more relaxed fit then, now there is so much of this 'slim fit' nonsense.

Stingy Brim

Reaction score
It's from before the time that 'branding' took off as a concept in the late 80s. Logos, fonts and the like were not always seen as having value in themselves so were not always tightly specified, the value was in the product itself. Now the other way around of course, leading to much more imitation. Oh how we have progressed...

Lonsdale seems to be a repeat offender in that regard.

Stingy Brim

Reaction score
Lonsdale seems to be a repeat offender in that regard.

Bizarre bit of trivia about Lonsdale from Wikipedia:

In the early 2000s, Lonsdale clothing became popular among some European neo-Nazis, allegedly because a carefully placed outer jacket leaves only the letters NSDA showing; one letter short of NSDAP, the acronym for Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, the German name of the Nazi Party.[2][3][4] Wearing a brand with no Nazi links in order to express Nazi sympathies helped bypass strict laws concerning the public display of Nazi symbolism.[5] In the Netherlands, Belgium, northern France, Spain and Germany, the term Lonsdale youth became widely used to describe teenagers with far right tendencies, and the brand was banned from certain schools in the Netherlands and Germany .[2][6]

Lonsdale reacted to this trend by sponsoring anti-racist events and campaigns, and by refusing to deliver products to known neo-Nazi retailers. In 2003, the "Lonsdale Loves All Colours" campaign was launched, emphasizing non-white fashion models, along with increased support for initiatives that combat racism.[6]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads