• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

harrysgame

Reaction score

I'm also curious what denim vest guy is wearing on his wrist, there's a gleam of metal but doesnt seem to be a watch..?

Looks to be an early 70s digital watch. One of the black face ones that light up in red with the numbers, if anyone remembers them. Adfain they were popular at the time.

albion

Reaction score

Nice find Bunty, there are also skinheads in the greaser picture in the page before it..

EDIT:

Found some more pictures in this photoset (buried under the 70s ted revival pictures):
http://www.artsbank.co.uk/shop/product/at-the-hop-bridge-hotel-darlington/

Boot Boys, Ulla Street Middlesbrough early 1970s

Spot of Bother, Ayesome Park Middlesbrough Vs Cardiff City March 1973

1973... not my thing :p Something peculiar I noticed is that one of the kids in the first picture looks like someone from the Indian/Pakistani region?

Some more boot boys here, again one of them has the second button done up
thing going on.

Alex Roest

Reaction score

Resistance Through Rituals -The Skinheads and the Magical Recovery of Community :)D)(1975)

Click on photo of two Skins 'Page 98'

I'd that pic scanned from a 'Skinzine' and sent it to Paul as I thought it was very rare, so now we know where it came from...nice one Bunty!

bunty

Reaction score
Wasn't the tartan thing started by Rod and The Faces, very early 70s, a bit before the glam thing?

Did any of you originals ever have a feather cut?:happy: Great barnet that.....

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rod Stewart , had a massive influence on the then out growing Skinheads in London, The tartan thing did come from him, he was a Londoner into football,..would wear tartan scarfs etc, so lads copied him, Some had the Rod stewart hair cut , which myself and me mates thought looked a bit stupid.

Last edited:

buttons

Reaction score
By the way MoM, how was the Stax night with Cropper and Duck-Dunn?
Would have loved to have gone but had no chance mid-week.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way MoM, how was the Stax night with Cropper and Duck-Dunn?
Would have loved to have gone but had no chance mid-week.

It was pretty good. 'Er indoors and the daughter loved it too. Eddie Floyd was great - a set of his own songs plus Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, and Otis Redding songs. Duck & the Colonel plus drums & organ played a string of Booker T hits.

PxC

Reaction score

that is a really odd and unique photo?? the guy with the sleeveless shirt, and even unbuttoned midriff down (??!!!)....his friend looks like he's wearing some kind of almost western shirt with turnups large enough to smuggle small children into the match. this has to be the single most bizarre "old days" photo I've ever seen

If you look close enough (click on the pic), you'll notice that this abomination the kid on the left is wearing is not a shirt, it's a denim jacket with a tartan thingy sewn on it. Underneath it, it looks like he's got a conventional checkered button down.
If it wasn't for the tartan crap and the huge turnups, he'd look more or less like a normal skin from 3 or 4 years before, I guess.
His friend though, looks like a biker ate a skinhead and threw it up. Actually, he reminds me of some early US hardcore skins. Imagine him with a Cause For Alarm backpatch and he wouldn't be out of place at an Agnostic Front gig at CBGB's circa 1984.

bunty

Reaction score

:D just for the 'ankle swinger' quote

Page 148

Resistance Through Rituals - Youth Subcultures in post-war Britain (1976)

Edited by Stuart Hall & Tony Jefferson.

Hutchinson University Library 17-21 Conway St W1P 6JD

There's loads of stuff in here, I'll post all the interesting bits as I find them.....

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:D just for the 'ankle swinger' quote

Yes - just another know-nothing commentator talking bollocks! NO ONE in the Mod/Skinhead era wanted a 'poverty' look or to look as though they were wearing hand-me-downs, and the origin of the ankle-swinger trouser leg was that it makes your strides hang better. End of. Sheesh!

Bunty you're a star for picking up all this stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads