• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Yesterday,I heard "Ballroom Blitz"by the Sweet and it got me thinking about later days of the Movement(`72/`73).We have all said,the Originals,that we got into T Rex and other Glam Rock Groups-alongside Rock Groups.But how long did that actual last for.Myself,I would put it to about 6 months.I was again getting back into Soul and Funk with Jazz mixed in.Reggae was still dominated by "Roots" so absolutely no liking there.

I soon got rather tired of it. My girlfriend(s) and I went to see concerts by such diverse acts as The Carpenters at one end and Pink Floyd at the other, meanwhile I was listening to John Peel and Charlie Gillett on the radio and therefore to more difficult and obscure stuff. I think by the mid seventies I had re-kindled a love for jazz and folk music, and by the end of the seventies I was enjoying punk and dub. I don't know how typical this was - I suspect not very - nor how relevant it really is.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Such a lot to catch up on since my return from Rome. I am still reading through all the contributions over the last couple of weeks. Some excellent themes for the book emerging. I like the idea of how did you first get into skinhead style and what sparked your initial interest in clothes.

Also liked Roy's point about skinheads being "˜self regarding, self serving'.

The regional thing too is bigger than I had appreciated - that is to say I had previously assumed "˜real' skinheads had lived in and around London and the rest (if there were any) were not really relevant to my world.

Once I have finished catching up I shall endeavour to get back to making some contributions.....

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
Such a lot to catch up on since my return from Rome. I am still reading through all the contributions over the last couple of weeks. Some excellent themes for the book emerging. I like the idea of how did you first get into skinhead style and what sparked your initial interest in clothes.

The regional thing too is bigger than I had appreciated - that is to say I had previously assumed "˜real' skinheads had lived in and around London and the rest (if there were any) were not really relevant to my world.

Once I have finished catching up I shall endeavour to get back to making some contributions.....

No problem,read away!
smile.gif

buttons

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Bunty again good reference. That's a good analysis. I remember thinking at the time "The bloody press are just looking for this year's 'mods-and-rockers'."

The term "˜skinhead' is appearing to be a lot less meaningful than many thought, as it only caught on as a name when the media pushed it, at which point it loses all its coolness and fashion-credibility. We've all seen this through many fashions - when the media feels its time it told you how to be fashionable, by then it (or that interpretation of it) is not. (ref also punks, new romantics, acid house, shell suits etc etc).
"˜Cool by Daily Mirror' just isn't cool. And from a slightly older lad's point of view, when there's thousands of 14 year old kids wearing what you were wearing a few moths ago, the time has already passed to give up that look / move on / adapt / improve.

In hindsight, there was a look (of "˜what became skinhead') that has gone through various connotations from the mid 60's to '69 (and way beyond in many areas). Whilst for much of that, it didn't have an overall defining name, did it need one?

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by buttons
In hindsight, there was a look (of ‘what became skinhead’) that has gone through various connotations from the mid 60’s to ’69 (and way beyond in many areas). Whilst for much of that, it didn’t have an overall defining name, did it need one?

Good post. Definitions pretty much destroy anything style-related (and most things way beyond that, too, as it happens) although in this particular case I think KR's definition of The Great Lost Look wasn't so bad as it still leaves plenty of room for one's imagination. Basically my answer would still be no, however.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Most of the Original Skinhead clothes are classics, Brogues, Harringtons, BD shirts, Crombies, these clothes have been around long before Skinheads, I have always said on other sites the influence Ivy League Style had on Skinhead clothing. Most of my clothes are Ivy league and have been for years. Even during the Originals a couple of my mates was more Ivy League than Skinhead,
Like most original skinheads we did all the fashions of the 70s, Once the Punk scene came along in 76, I just went back to wearing Ivy League clothes, and have not changed since.

Originally Posted by browniecj
Must admit, have now got back to that Style. Always liked the Ivy League Look.

Those statements were/are rather relevant I find...

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead

Hello, nice to have you back. Did you enjoy Rome?

Despot

Reaction score
Okay then we'd wear short sleeves.

Having said that, when is it ever 'super hot' in Britain?

I guess that's the stupid part of my question. After all the photos and descriptions I read I was wondering what a skinhead would do if he was stuck in Arizona or someplace humid like Texas he would probably die. but just as a hypothetical I was curious how the style would be translated.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot
I guess that's the stupid part of my question. After all the photos and descriptions I read I was wondering what a skinhead would do if he was stuck in Arizona or someplace humid like Texas he would probably die. but just as a hypothetical I was curious how the style would be translated.

Okay I know this is a bit 'left field' but just think about a group of people with a religious dress code - the Amish - you would see them going to church on a hot summer day in the US and they would have not only long sleeves but also waistcoats. My point is it is possible to endure long strides and a shirt in hot weather.

Anyhow, it's just speculation...
smile.gif

Con Seanery

Reaction score
^^^LOL.
My point is it is possible to endure long strides and a shirt in hot weather.
@Despot: Speaking from the 80's perspective, it's exactly what MoM said. I lived in L.A. and San Diego where its 75 degrees or hotter most of the year. When you are young & into that scene, really the only clothes you own or care about are the things discussed in these threads. As a young skin you want to be identified as such, so you wear the clothes no matter what. If its day time & you're at the beach, that may translate to a bd with square bottom not tucked in with sta-press & smoothes instead of boots. It wasn't the most fuctional for hot/humid weather, but you didn't care. The same could be said about going to gigs in the "uniform". It's hotter than hell, humans all crammed up against each other, and you don't care as long as you are looking the part.

Despot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Seanery
^^^LOL. @Despot: Speaking from the 80's perspective, it's exactly what MoM said. I lived in L.A. and San Diego where its 75 degrees or hotter most of the year. When you are young & into that scene, really the only clothes you own or care about are the things discussed in these threads. As a young skin you want to be identified as such, so you wear the clothes no matter what. If its day time & you're at the beach, that may translate to a bd with square bottom not tucked in with sta-press & smoothes instead of boots. It wasn't the most fuctional for hot/humid weather, but you didn't care. The same could be said about going to gigs in the "uniform". It's hotter than hell, humans all crammed up against each other, and you don't care as long as you are looking the part.

That's kinda what I figured. I did door to door in TX in a suit in the summer I got used to being dripping with sweat all the time. Much respect for the skinheads!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads