• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
To quote KRS 1, "Where Im from if your soft you lost, to stay on course means to roll with force". Im down for a peaceful existance, but it would be very difficult to function in my neighborhood or others in my city and state, if I wasnt willing to throwdown if needed. I can tell there is a huge cultural differance between Chicano and British folks but thats just how it goes.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stated on the Sunderland message board a few times that I’ve lived lots of places and through my job visited many more. Sometimes having to visit the less than savoury neighbourhoods. In Houston I walked daily through the Third Ward which is a notorious low income neighbourhood and home to lots of gang and drug activity. But I’ve never felt edge like I have back home standing in the Park Lane taxi queue at 3 am.

Usually I’d get comments of understanding and agreement but once I posted that and got a few comments of dissent and derision. Maybe the place had changed in the years since I’d lived there?

Then several months later I saw in the news a lad had got stabbed to death in that same spot - over nothing.

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
To quote KRS 1, "Where Im from if your soft you lost, to stay on course means to roll with force". Im down for a peaceful existance, but it would be very difficult to function in my neighborhood or others in my city and state, if I wasnt willing to throwdown if needed. I can tell there is a huge cultural differance between Chicano and British folks but thats just how it goes.
Just curious. Where do you live in San Diego? I'm asian. I used to hang out in Logan. Two of my closest friend's families were there for decades before it was "barrio" Logan, so no one ever bothered us. Never thought it was that scary.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
there is a huge cultural differance between Chicano and British folks but thats just how it goes.
Yep, British people are generally quiet, at least adults. The most trouble comes from teenagers who have watched too many American gangster movies or shows and listen to gangster rap or something(now i'm starting to sound like a complaining old man), it's these ones i am wary of because they generally don't think in a rational manner.
Where Im from if your soft you lost, to stay on course means to roll with force
I don't know, not having to potentially deal with a broken nose or jaw or not being in hospital with a stab wound sounds like a win to me, i think displaying some intelligence by not being bothered by what people say and walking away is actually more masculine.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Just curious. Where do you live in San Diego? I'm asian. I used to hang out in Logan. Two of my closest friend's families were there for decades before it was "barrio" Logan, so no one ever bothered us. Never thought it was that scary.
I live in Linda Vista right now, but Ive lived in all parts of SD( just moved from IB). Almost all the people I knew were gangsters. I dont know what you was into but I deffo have PTSD from things Ive been through. My Dad was born and raised here too, he used to tell me my Uncle had to fight with Italians all the time when they were kids in the 40s.

Last edited:

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
I live in Linda Vista right now, but Ive lived in all parts of SD( just moved from IB). Almost all the people I knew were gangsters. I dont know what you was into but I deffo have PTSD from things Ive been through. My Dad was born and raised here too, he used to tell me my Uncle had to fight with Italians all the time when they were kids in the 40s.
Everyone has different experiences and I'm sure you went through some ****. I wasn't born and raised in SD, but it's home. Dad was navy. I lived in South bay when I first moved there. Jr. high was kinda rough with Del Sol kids always effen with you, but we were all eventually cool with each other.

Speaking of IB, I used to practice in a Ska/Reggae band down there. You wouldn't happen to know Veto from chicken farm?

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Everyone has different experiences and I'm sure you went through some ****. I wasn't born and raised in SD, but it's home. Dad was navy. I lived in South bay when I first moved there. Jr. high was kinda rough with Del Sol kids always effen with you, but we were all eventually cool with each other.

Speaking of IB, I used to practice in a Ska/Reggae band down there. You wouldn't happen to know Veto from chicken farm?
No, I only lived there 4 yrs. Id love it if there was more Ska bands to go see.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Yep, British people are generally quiet, at least adults. The most trouble comes from teenagers who have watched too many American gangster movies or shows and listen to gangster rap or something(now i'm starting to sound like a complaining old man), it's these ones i am wary of because they generally don't think in a rational manner.

I don't know, not having to potentially deal with a broken nose or jaw or not being in hospital with a stab wound sounds like a win to me, i think displaying some intelligence by not being bothered by what people say and walking away is actually more masculine.
I think what KRS was getting at is, there are some places if you dont stand up for yourself you will get robbed and beat buy predators who know you wont retaliate.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Less violent, but everyone seems angry still. At least here. To me a little street violence has its place. Today folks run they mouth off way too much. In the 80s I remember watching how I behaved in order not to catch a quick beat down.
Round our way we used to call that 'prison manners'.

northernbloke12345

Reaction score
I think what KRS was getting at is, there are some places if you dont stand up for yourself you will get robbed and beat buy predators who know you wont retaliate.
Seems you are damned if you don't and damned if you do, if you fight it may well escalate into far worse and if you don't you become a target for mugging or something similar. A reason why i don't carry much money on me is because of potentially being mugged, the most beneficial option is to always get the hell out of there as quick as you can if you have the means to escape.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think these behaviors are a sympyom of being institutionalized.
Maybe, it seemed to get me through anyway.

In other news I just found this, an interesting appearance of the look among members of the British jazz-funk band Freeez in 1981. The bloke on the bongos has the edge I think, in his untipped Fred Perry and Adidas. A nice hint of proto-Casual about them.

Southern Freeez by Freeez is one of my favourite tunes from back then. Check it out @Reggae Mike

Last edited:

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
That bongo guy is killing it, en espanol tambien. They all sound great though, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of these local guys.https://youtu.be/7fLxTJsSLeg?si=zGM7ojRaaHyyZw_1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads