• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

andyf

Reaction score
This is scooterboy

Scooterboys from different points of the 80s

EDDD351B-8C65-422E-A8B6-F7CECC35364D.jpeg

E141BA8F-FEE5-4414-BC39-7300F2CD5E57.jpeg

C4D4EE7C-7D86-4D95-A97F-4BFCE38603D1.jpeg

pressuredrop

Reaction score
Well back then it was usually rubberised over trousers and jackets. Any colour ( mine wer bright yellow!). The odd leather jacket even. But as I say it was totally horrible rubberised cotton and usually 2 piece. So you felt wet from the sweat and the rain that had seeped through. Very impractical.
If you mean what pants (trousers) it was nearly always German army moleskins in olive green or jeans underneath.

Yeah, pants = trousers over here.

Bela Kun

Reaction score

Great pics. Have I not been paying attention, or is scooterboy a somewhat under-documented subculture?

I know a couple of 80s scooterboys and have been asking them to write up a history for our blog, but they both seemed reluctant and unsure if they knew enough. There's no shortage of detail you can ask them about Vespas, Scootering magazine, maybe even historical scooter runs... but when it comes to the subculture itself (the origins, the clothes, the music, etc) it all gets a bit patchy.

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one , Andy . Look very typical from what l can remember ,there was always congregating at some damn good bar and you can even see a guy with one of those flying jaikets l mentioned earlier (in the second photo ) , l think they had been popularised by someone in U2 or maybe it was Teardrop Explodes not sure now , it was a while ago. .

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There will come a point, friends, when the 'punk-to-scooterboy' discussion will lose its connection to 'mod to suedehead'. I'm not saying stop, because you're keeping the thread alive. I'm just saying be aware.

andyf

Reaction score
Great pics. Have I not been paying attention, or is scooterboy a somewhat under-documented subculture?

I know a couple of 80s scooterboys and have been asking them to write up a history for our blog, but they both seemed reluctant and unsure if they knew enough. There's no shortage of detail you can ask them about Vespas, Scootering magazine, maybe even historical scooter runs... but when it comes to the subculture itself (the origins, the clothes, the music, etc) it all gets a bit patchy.
They can’t remember because it was generally a mass piss up :cheers::-D

andyf

Reaction score
Did some of the fellas in the first pic double as skins, or were they strictly scooterboys not skins?
Photo said 79-80. Lot of of mixed up youth then hadn’t quite the difference between mod, skin and or they had been originally. Most scooterists started life as one or the other or both like moi.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
They can’t remember because it was generally a mass piss up :cheers::-D

Yeah, maybe it was more of an 'action-oriented' rather than style-oriented subculture. Then again, casuals were also 'action-oriented' but tend to remember every detail.

Scooterboy also strikes me as not that self-conscious - unlike skinhead, which is extremely self-conscious. Maybe that's one reason for lack of documentation.

Last edited:

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Photo said 79-80. Lot of of mixed up youth then hadn’t quite the difference between mod, skin and or they had been originally. Most scooterists started life as one or the other or both like moi.

So if you asked the guy with the parka or the one wearing the flight jacket in the background "are you a skin", would they have said yes or no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads