• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Skin Care

breakdown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Can anyone rec. a good facial mask that can be purchased in most cities? I'd like something I can find locally and not have to purchase online...

I've been using Neutrogena Acne-Mark Fade Peel purchased from Rite Aid for the past 6 weeks. Clay masks tend to dry out my skin, so I switched to a peel. I only get occasional pimples that leave a slight brown mark for a couple weeks, and this seems to help reduce the time they take to heal, plus when you rinse it off with water it has little beads that exfoliate.

thebarber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kapay
I was just wondering what line of men's skin care do people prefer. I've searched and stumbled upon a few threads stating that people generally didn't like Lab Series moisturizers and did like Kiehl's moisutrizers. However, I was also thinking along the lines of face washes, exfoiliants/scrubs/masks, as well as moisturizers. I went to Macy's the other day and was looking at Clinique m-lotion and the employees seemed to push the entire line of Lab Series stuff more. I liked the Lab Series lip balm since it worked immediately and I have extremely dry lips even with the use of Carmex. Although people liked the Kiehl's moisturizer, I'm a little weary of it because the Kiehl's website seemed to focus their products on the shaving routine where I don't really need to worry about that so much (I use Art of Shaving stuff already). I just want a clean face and products that work.

Kiehl's products are great! However, keep in mind that almost all mens skincare lines are going to focus on the shaving routine. But that is ok, because you want something that will prepare your skin for your Art of Shaving products. I like quite a few lines for face washes and exfoliants. But, I seem to always come back to these two brands that I like very much - (1) Multi-Action Face Wash and Invigorating Face Scrub by Lab Series & (2) Glycolic Facial Cleanser and Facial Scrub by Anthony Logistics. Give them a try and stick with the one you like. And, yes it is ok to mix and match your products. Just keep in mind that the layering of different products (ex. eye gel by Kiehl's and Moisturizer by Anthony Logistics) won't be "as" effective.

elmore

Reaction score
i realise this is an old thread, but as it has some good posts already i thought it'd be better to resurrect it than start a new one.

i have slightly dry skin, brought on mostly by the winter, cold and central heating. currently i use E45 cream, which is cheap and seems pretty effective. i'm thinking of trying out a few of the more top-range moisturisers as i've noticed my skin seems to have dryed up in recent times. currently thinking of trying Kiehl's Facial Fuel, though have noticed some posts saying this is better for those with more oily skin.

any advice on this ?

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elmore
i realise this is an old thread, but as it has some good posts already i thought it'd be better to resurrect it than start a new one.

i have slightly dry skin, brought on mostly by the winter, cold and central heating. currently i use E45 cream, which is cheap and seems pretty effective. i'm thinking of trying out a few of the more top-range moisturisers as i've noticed my skin seems to have dryed up in recent times. currently thinking of trying Kiehl's Facial Fuel, though have noticed some posts saying this is better for those with more oily skin.

any advice on this ?

If you're looking for deep hydration I highly recommend Hydrance Optimale from Avene or Nutritic from La Roche Posay - slightly pricey but very effective, you can buy them both from Boots (i'm assuming you're from the UK..).

smithgerry

Reaction score
For many men, skin care is a mere afterthought. Beyond the world of shaving their faces, it is rare for a man to devote time to his skin, especially the skin on his face. However, proper skin care is essential for the present and the future. Skin is the body's first line of defense against sickness, germs, and diseases.Eating a balanced diet and staying active are obviously part of the equasion. Double up on the fruits and vegetables, which often contain many anti-oxidants that can marsupial skin damage. Take a multi-vitamin that is rich in anti-oxidants and vitamin E. Do your best to avoid greasy, fried food. Substitute olive oil in place of butter when you cook. It is healthier and, as some claim, will allow your skin to retain its elasticity longer.

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
youdee, have you tried any of the L'Oreal Men Expert line?

Yup, didn't like it. I thought it was over fragranced and didn't really do much - I remember the face scrub being decent though.

morganhowell

Reaction score
First, I need to disclose the fact that I am received free samples of this product from the company for participating in a "word-of-mouth" marketing campaign for Schick Hydro.

For the past 2 years or so, I haven't been shaving regularly. Clean-shaving would always irritate my skin, so when I do shave, I use the trimmer attachment on an electric razor to give myself that 5-o'clock shadow look. When I got free samples of Schick Hydro I felt like I had to at least try it out. In a time when it seems the only thing to do to a razor is to add a blade or two, Schick totally redesigned the razor to make it virtually an irritation-free shave. I got one pimple after the first time using it, but since then my face has been soft and clear of acne.

I don't want to sound too promotional, so I'll just give the link to Schick Hydro's Facebook page:

http://schickhydro.repnation.com/Log...2-abfe6137af6a

bapelolol

Reaction score
Any thoughts on:

Malin + Goetz
Baxsters of California
Anthony Logistics

for shampoo and body wash for sensitive/dry skin?

yahtzee

Reaction score
It may be in this thread or it may be located somewhere else, but there was a user not to long ago that was ragging on us for using skin care products and saying "just stick to water." At the time, I was going to reply back to him and tell him to F-off, but I may need to tell him that he may be onto something.

I had an accident that prohibited me from using my right hand. Therefore, I could only really wash my face with water using my left hand and even that was a weird ritual every morning and night. Before this I used to always use a face wash. The duration of this was about four weeks. In the four weeks using just warm water, nothing seemed to get worse. No breakouts, nothing.

Starting to wonder if that marketing is really getting to us. Right now, I just use a toner and moisturizer. I've been thinking about dropping the toner and just trying to moisturize to see what would happen.

I don't know.. maybe it's just me getting older. But I don't even touch the face wash anymore.

dalej

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kapay
I was just wondering what line of men's skin care do people prefer. I've searched and stumbled upon a few threads stating that people generally didn't like Lab Series moisturizers and did like Kiehl's moisutrizers. However, I was also thinking along the lines of face washes, exfoiliants/scrubs/masks, as well as moisturizers. I went to Macy's the other day and was looking at Clinique m-lotion and the employees seemed to push the entire line of Lab Series stuff more. I liked the Lab Series lip balm since it worked immediately and I have extremely dry lips even with the use of Carmex. Although people liked the Kiehl's moisturizer, I'm a little weary of it because the Kiehl's website seemed to focus their products on the shaving routine where I don't really need to worry about that so much (I use Art of Shaving stuff already). I just want a clean face and products that work.

Clinique products have been around for a long time and get great reviews.

Valenzuela

Reaction score
I'd drink it if I could. In all seriousness, it gets my face amazingly clean, leaves no residue, lasts a long time, and travels really well.
so i leave it smoking and some ganja seeds .because is harmfull for my skin .

lostinthought

Reaction score
i luv Nars Aqua gel.

Hydrating without blocking my pores.

Put it in the frig and use it at night after a sun burn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads