• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mens multivitamin

alex99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bohe
According to your link only a hand full are worth taking
confused.gif
that's incredible.

Yeah appendix A of that report pretty much blows the lid off of most vitamins claims of helping you in any way. Wow.

What's interesting is that the vitamins that did really well like Ultra Preventive X from Douglas Labs (rank #2) and Essentials from USANA (rank #1) also did extremely well in this study...

http://www.healthsupplementsnutritio...i-vitamin.html

which also breaks down the cost per day. Using both references together should give you a good idea of what is legit and what is bullshit. Sadly, most vitamins are in the second category. Essentials (US), seems to be the best deal at $1.60 per day considering its rank.

Bale Patton

Reaction score
After reading this thread I checked the back of my current vitamin (Trader Joes Mens Daily), and sure enough, a high dose of Folic Acid. Quite scary when you read the studies.

For now, throwing it away. My diet is balanced but I will still try and find a better replacement. Then again, I'm only now starting to carefully analyze what's in these things, Trader Joes may not even be considered subpar.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bale Patton
After reading this thread I checked the back of my current vitamin (Trader Joes Mens Daily), and sure enough, a high dose of Folic Acid. Quite scary when you read the studies. For now, throwing it away. My diet is balanced but I will still try and find a better replacement. Then again, I'm only now starting to carefully analyze what's in these things, Trader Joes may not even be considered subpar.
GAAAAAAAAH!!! It's ONE study. A SINGLE study. Not plural. The STUDIES (note, not singular) show that there are correlations between low folate intake and colonic cancer, and no significant correlation between folic acid intake and cancer incidence. By all means, read the studies, but go beyond the title and abstracts, and don't jump on MSM based hype.* Hell, it didn't even say that it was correlated or associated with high incidences of cancer, but instead accelerated cancer growth. I support fully analyzing anything that has to do with your health, but make sure that you're getting a well rounded view before you lay down judgement. *Not saying that the study is invalid. I'm just saying that it's silly to place so much emphasis on a single study while ignoring a multitude of others.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just went to vitamin shoppe and bought Alive once daily's for men. I opened it up and they smell like vegetables, I put one in my mouth and dammit, they even taste like vegetables. I'm almost finished with the whole bottle.

newbien

Reaction score
Apparently alive multivitamins are much better for your body to process because it is from whole foods.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is it good to take or not.

I am worried about my aging body. How about just taking calcium tablets?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Despite what marketing and packaging will claim, pretty much all multivitamins will do the same job for you. All that matters is whether you feel like paying $5 or $50 per bottle.

Not all vitamins are the same. You need to go with reputable brands that should be certified GMP. Chelated minerals are absorbed best and it also depends on the compound of the vitamins which can vary in quality. Some might be laced with heavy metals if you get a bad brand and some might not have the amount of the vitamin listed or even too much of it, which I think is more of a problem with multi vits.

I don't take any multivitamin anymore, just fish oil. I stopped after reading about the link between multivitamins and prostate cancer (the main culprit seems to be folic acid). I asked my doctor if he took a vitamin and he literally said "I take vitamins every day, they're called vegetables. Don't take pills, they're all a scam."

If your doctor finds that you have an actual vitamin deficiency, then you may need a specific supplement. If you don't live where there is a lot of sun or get much exposure, then you may need Vitamin D. Otherwise I would avoid and concentrate on a healthy diet.

The link is probably with multivitamins because people aren't understanding what they are taking and just buy whatever multivitamin they see first and think it's the same. SOME vitamins can increase cancer risk if taken in excess, like zinc and prostate cancer.

Pills aren't a scam and a hefty quantity of all vitamins and minerals can't be obtained through vegetables every day. Deficiencies aren't the only issue, certain vitamins in medicinal doses can be used to treat ailments. Food is not what it once was and many times people obtain very little of needed nutrients from diet.

So is it good to take or not.
I am worried about my aging body. How about just taking calcium tablets?

If that's all you think you need, but D3 is usually taken in combo if not in the sun a lot.

I've yet to find a multivitamin I'd take. Maybe a B complex vitamin but even then there's always too much B12. The multivitamins I've seen usually have at least one vitamin in a dose too high. I get individuals and break them if the dose is too much. Some vitamins have no upper limit, while others do. Some can be toxic at high levels, others are not. Having them individually gives you more control.

For example, B6 usually shouldn't go over 25mg in a day. I've read that (in Europe?) it's recommended to stay around 15mg a day or less. Zinc can cause adverse effects at doses going higher than 30-40mg. I keep mine at 10mg.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads