• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Nick Fouquet.

Doesn't get much of a run. Understandably because it is more trend than style.

But I have fallen in love with one of his hats - The Floridian Shamen:

https://www.nickfouquet.com/collections/mens-spring-summer-2017/products/the-floridian-shaman

I won't get it, though, for two reasons:

1. Not being a rock superstar I don't think I could carry it off; and

2. It costs $1850.00

I have, however, gone for the much cheaper and more wearable The Tobacco Thief:

https://www.nickfouquet.com/collections/mens-spring-summer-2017/products/the-tobacco-thief

I will put up photos when I receive it.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
that Tobacco Thief hat is far more versatile than the other. looking forward to the pics.

I honestly don't know when I would wear the other one but it's such a work of art I would buy it to put on the wall if it wasn't so expensive. I really love it.

I have asked them to "distress" the Tobacco Thief.

Takes them three months to make. Due late April.

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score

Thanks! I'm very interested to see how you wear that Tobacco Thief hat. There's been lots of talk about Nick's hats here but I think yours will be the first one we actually get to see in the wild.

When I spoke to them I said it was too casual for me. I am a suit guy and I said it won't go with my look. They said that's exactly the look they want. I am looking forward to it.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still new to hats. I live in part of the world that doesn't get a lot of heat in the summer. Nor does it get all that sunny. My question is what sort of hat can I wear in the summer, given this climate? I can appreciate the value of a Panama, when it really does get sunny, but I don't feel I could wear them throughout the summer. I couldn't do some of riskier options such as the boater or the pork pie. Last summer (before my conversion to hats) I wore summer flat caps. I'm not so keen, anymore. I am no spring chicken and I need to cover my head and also to keep the sun out of my eyes.

I like fedoras and wonder what the view would be on my wearing a Christys light beige number. I already have some of their darker hats and would appreciate a steer on this. This is the hat I had in mind:

https://www.christys-hats.com/mens-hats/shop-by-style/fedora-hats/fedora-hat-handmade

Go to the option, 'light beige' to see the option I had in mind.

Finally, I am retired and never wear suits or formal clothes.

With all good wishes, Munky.

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

I am still new to hats. I live in part of the world that doesn't get a lot of heat in the summer. Nor does it get all that sunny. My question is what sort of hat can I wear in the summer, given this climate? I can appreciate the value of a Panama, when it really does get sunny, but I don't feel I could wear them throughout the summer. I couldn't do some of riskier options such as the boater or the pork pie. Last summer (before my conversion to hats) I wore summer flat caps. I'm not so keen, anymore. I am no spring chicken and I need to cover my head and also to keep the sun out of my eyes. 

I like fedoras and wonder what the view would be on my wearing a Christys light beige number.  I already have some of their darker hats and would appreciate a steer on this. This is the hat I had in mind:

https://www.christys-hats.com/mens-hats/shop-by-style/fedora-hats/fedora-hat-handmade

Go to the option, 'light beige' to see the option I had in mind. 

Finally, I am retired and never wear suits or formal clothes. 

With all good wishes, Munky.

In the US there used to be a straw hat day after which felt hats were to be put away. In those in between months when a straw seems wrong but a darker felt is out of place, I often where a hat in lightweight "silverbelly" a common felt color in America. Here's an example:

Also, if you can find a vintage Milan straw, they've often turned a lovely shade of brown. These come frequently with funky or garish ribbons but you can have these replaced. Dark navy or burgundy ribbons work particularly. Here's one that Art Fawcett re-blocked and re-ribboned for me. Ribbon is navy.

G9IxGMR.jpg

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for these pointers, Mr Pink. They are very helpful. Do you think that the Christys, light beige, felt fedora, would fit the bill, if I can't find the beautiful hats you show in your post? It has to be said that, in this - fairly remote - part of the UK, not many people wear hats, so availability is limited! As always, Munky.

konadog

Reaction score
Mr. Pink - that milan is insane. I own an Optimo milan which is my favorite summer hat. Only Optimo, and occasionally Art Fawcett, make milans they way they used to.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Mr. Pink - that milan is insane. I own an Optimo milan which is my favorite summer hat. Only Optimo, and occasionally Art Fawcett, make milans they way they used to.

I'm going to order one from Art soon. I really like his work.

Thank you for these pointers, Mr Pink. They are very helpful. Do you think that the Christys, light beige, felt fedora, would fit the bill, if I can't find the beautiful hats you show in your post? It has to be said that, in this  - fairly remote - part of the UK, not many people wear hats, so availability is limited! As always, Munky. 

I like the light colored felts better in the warmer weather so I would think so. But that said, once you know your size and style preferences, you can do very well on Ebay, so it won't really matter how remote you are.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to order one from Art soon. I really like his work.
I like the light colored felts better in the warmer weather so I would think so. But that said, once you know your size and style preferences, you can do very well on Ebay, so it won't really matter how remote you are.

Thank you, Mr Pink. I like the Christys beige one but I certainly take your point about looking around on Ebay. The problem I have experienced are the vagaries of hat sizes - similar to the same problems in shoe sizes. I will have a look!

Thanks, again. Best wishes, Munky

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads