• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gorgous.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Serious question: I've always held that the only men who should wear formal hats today are those that were alive when their style and decorum were prevalent. Otherwise I feel like everyone ends up looking like they are either wearing a costume or are very affected.

I think there is a great deal of charm in an older man wearing a hat, but I feel that comes from years of knowing a society that wore hats at all times. They know how the hat should look, what looks compliment the accessory, etc. Younger guys almost always look like they found their grandfather's hat in an attic and found it a novelty.

I may be wrong here, but I've never seen a convincing argument to the contrary. Even guys like tibor, that clearly embrace the look fully, still don't sell me on the idea that it can be done well. It marks someone as eccentric rather than stylish or dashing, which goes directly against the decorum that it stands for.

You are wrong and the fact hats are coming back as seen in this thread proves it.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only recently noted the creation of this thread. I wear hats in winter with formal overcoats as a matter of course, out of necessity (I am bald, and New York winters are cold), and out of a sense of style (the look of a man wearing a suit, a proper overcoat, and a baseball cap is just stupid - and knit caps, as practical as they are, look horrible on me).

Is the look "retro" - yes, undoubtedly.

Do I care? Not very much

Do I look good? I believe that I do.

Is it "costume-y"? I own several fedoras, none of which, I believe, are so outside of the realm of current menswear to look "costume-y", IMHO. I do own a Homburg, which even on its best days (worn with a dark grey Chesterfield topcoat) is costume-y. I accept this, as I believe that, as out-of-touch with current menswear as it may be, I still like it.

Not everyone's face is suited to wear a fedora or other "proper" hat, nor does everyone's general mien work with the look, but for those of us who can wear a hat, there is no better frame for one's face, and it gives one an extra dose of "presence".

FYI - For those of you who are interested, women very much like seeing men in hats - I've been complimented by women on this fact many times.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

You are wrong and the fact hats are coming back as seen in this thread proves it.

Stated as opinion for the sake of conversation and discussion. We'll see if anyone here can right the ship for me...

FillW

Reaction score
In a pinch, yeah, but I try and put something under it - plastic bag, newspaper, whatever. I find that less awkward than trying to balance it on my knee. Usually, though, there's a spare chair or window ledge or _something_ you can use.

The problem I see with using a spare chair is that someone might come up and sit down without looking down at it.
lol8[1].gif

There's one guy who wears a freakin' baseball cap every day and all day to work here (this is inside a building). It seems to be part of his work costume and maybe he wears it when he goes home too. (Don't know him at all and he seems pretty weird anyway)

Another guy wears the Gatsby type hat all the time (usually a light grey one) but not inside- usually when he comes and goes. I used to wear one in the '70s because of Bruce Springsteen. My boss said I looked like Redford (I hadn't seen the movie at the time and kind of resented the comment cause I liked Springsteen). lol

I also saw another guy wear a hat that looked something like a cross between a cowboy hat and a fedora.

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
You certainly know how to instigate someone by spitting on their soul. I hope your latest insult makes you feel much better about yourself.

I don't think he means to insult you so don't let his comments bother you.

I think that most people let their own inhibitions stop them from wearing certain types of hats these days. Hence the negative comments...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This gentleman walked in to Cable Car in SF while I was shooting photos for my interview. He was wearing a very heavy tweed suit by Southwick that he has had for many years and a hat that appeared to be an old friend:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You certainly know how to instigate someone by spitting on their soul. I hope your latest insult makes you feel much better about yourself.

I knew from your post a few days ago that you would object to the word 'costumey' if you saw this thread.

It puzzles me why you are so sensitive about it. You have clearly stated your aim to dress in a manner not just influenced by but in direct parity to the style of 60 to 70 years ago. How is this not a costume, no matter how well you may hit the mark?

The other day you posted a picture of yourself in a perfectly executed formal morning rig, and when asked where you wore it, IIRC you replied 'breakfast'. That kind of outfit, while still seen at Royal Ascot, the Queen's garden parties and knighthood investitures, and the rare formal wedding, hasn't been worn to a breakfast diner in ... ever?

There was a bloke in my home town known as 'The Spectre' who was regularly seen in Victorian dress - frock coat, top hat, ruffled shirt with oversize bow tie, silver topped cane etc. like you, we'll executed but no one was in any doubt, least of all he, that this was costumey no matter how much he had enfolded his dress sense into his personal lifestyle. So you can rail against the word as much as you like but by any definition your clothing style is costumey. It's an adjective, and as far as I can tell, not used in a pejorative sense. You can whine about it or embrace it, but choosing the latter would suit you more.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never cared for hats, but my Dermatologist insisted that I use sunscreen and wear a hat. I regret not having done so as a younger man. I would have avoided having basal cells carved out of my scalp or pre-cancerous spots removed. According to my Dermo, most of these spots are a result of sun exposure in my early years.

Want to keep your face and scalp looking its best? Consider a hat.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jesus, slim, if that mild comment was "spitting on your soul" I'd hate to think about your reaction to an actual insult.

I think eventually you will lighten up on the details, keep the best aspects of what you wear and soften into a more lived in and natural approach to clothes.

Anyway, we're kind of screwing up PSG's worthwhile thread, so I'll step away and hope he makes it up to Paul's and see what they have to offer.

lefty

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members