• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manhattan stores carrying small sizes

AnotherBob

Reaction score
This is my first post, so please bear with me. I'm looking for a RTW blazer in a small size (36R) in Manhattan. I know there have been a couple of posts with similar requests in the past, but I couldn't find what I was looking for with search, so I decided to post this thread asking for advice.

I'm looking for a high quality navy blazer. I'm not that picky about the style as long as I can get a good fit ... which is difficult because I'm quite thin. I usually take a 36R and need quite a few alterations.

I've been looking into MTM and thanks to the information on the forum, and have decided to have a suit made at Mr. Ned. If that works out, I'll probably order a blazer and a couple of sport coats eventually.

But in the mean time, I need a blazer to wear. I also don't want to spend more than $1K on it.

Does anyone have suggestions about where to look?

I was thinking of Paul Stuart, but I don't believe they carry anything in 36R.
(I know they have 36s listed on the website, but I doubt they actually carry them. I wandered in looking for 30" trousers once and was told they do not actually have them, despite what the website indicates).

There is always Brooks, but I am not particularly enthusiastic about them.

My understanding is that Polo and Hickey Freeman only carry sizes down to 38.

I know nothing about the Italian brands or what is available at the finer Dept. stores (Bergdorf, etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AnotherBob

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I didn't know that BB had a full canvas GF line of blazers.

I'm thinking about buying it but I really hate to get clothes without trying them on. Of course, for a 1/3 of my target price its very tempting!

AnotherBob

Reaction score
Your best option may be MTM
Indeed. In the long run this is probably my only realistic option.

For some reason, I haven't had too many problems finding 36R suits; although, I've usually had to pay close to full retail. Jackets, however, are much harder. But even so, they've always required many alterations and I've never quite been satisfied.

For now I'm going with the 36R GF blazer that zbromer had on Buying and Selling. That should tide me over until I have a chance to pick one up from a MTMer.

Cassidy

Reaction score
I know these brands carry 36 from my own search in Manhattan yesterday and last weekend: Hickey Freeman, Ralph Lauren Black Label, Burberry, Hugo Boss, Dolce and Gabbana, Zegna, Brooks Brothers, Armani, Jil Sander, Kenneth Cole New York, and Paul Smith. I recommend starting off at a place like Barney's, where you can try on a ton of suits from different designers. Once you've narrowed it down to the designers that fit you well, you can shop around based on price or whatever other metric you might want to focus on.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bergdorf Goodman's sells 36R in Ralph Lauren Black Label. I am a 35R and had the RL salesmen show me some navy sportcoats when I was there.

Might try Jil Sander, also. The salesman there told me it was best to go in pre-season, because the small sizes sell out quickly, and they're often under-ordered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads