• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mall Brands.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
While I like Kiton and Brioni as much as the next guy, I really have no use for a 6K suit. That said, I can afford and do want one (even if it is machine made) but haven't pulled the trigger, no matter how much my sales guy on the sixth floor of Barneys makes me come close every time I walk in the store, maybe on the next markdown in a few weeks. My suits are Polo Black/Blue or Burberry.

What I do wear for work and casual is Theory, DKNY, Burberry, Lindberg and a lot of - and I mean a lot - of Polo. Basically, what they sell at Bloomingdales and in the Polo store. Nice stuff, that fits me great after some tailoring, at a good price point that travels well and fits the industry I work in. It's not K or B, I know.

It seems that everyone has a different style and sense of taste. I would wear nothing but custom-made clothing and Hermes and Bottega if I could. That would be tight.

What I want to know is what brands do you guys wear mostly and what's your idea of luxury? I am just interested in the average sartorial style of people here and I know, with the exception of a few of you, it's not a K50 to the supermarket on a Sunday morning.
Thanks...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brands I buy mostly these days are: Margiela, Raf Simons, Branquinho, Dries van Noten, Patrik Ervell, Paul Smith, Jil Sander, and Marni mostly...

stuff that I dont buy that much off but buy at periodically and like : CCP, Ann Dem, Cdiem, Varvatos, Junya, CDG, NDG, dior, rag and bone, bless

Jeans: 5ep, 45 rpm, prps, kohzo, dior

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've become a pretty much thrift store centric shopper lately. When branding it up, though, in the past year I've pretty much only gone to Uniqlo, and a little H&M, when I can't find what I need/want at a thrift store.

That said, I'm 18 years old and in college; my non-parental income consists of a couple thousand a year from odd commissions. I also hate spending money.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound quite satisfied with RL Polo, so perhaps you should stick with your success.
It might be that if you stay with the forum, you'll find your style will evolve. The main concern on the forum with Polo is that at full retail it's expensive for the quality.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are buying a lot of Polo at your local store, that's a lot of money added up. Save some of that and get a suit from Thick as Thieves. made to your measurements for under $500.

One of my most regrettable purchases was a mall suit about 5 years ago, my first suit, for about $250. It's okay, and I still use it but when I think of how that could have been put to better use, it makes me cringe....

personally I either go really really cheap or go all out. nothing in between. that means thrift store sportcoats for $9, basic suits to round out my rotation for $30 - $50 on ebay. However I want my next suit from TaT for sure.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
I really have no use for a 6K suit. .

You could have a picture posted in the WAYWN thread or start a "critique my dubiously handmade suit" thread with that. That will serve its purpose.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
then what in god's name are you doing here? or in NY for that matter?
I meant more that I hate paying retail. Does anyone actually enjoy spending money when they know there is a point at which it will run out? Whenever I make a large purchase I see my bank account sag and don't know when I'll have another commission to make it rise again, and right now I am focusing more on school than acquiring work (though I suppose in theory I am going to school to get the work I already have...I need to think about this more...). I will eventually have consistent income and at that point it won't really bother me as long as it's manageable. I'm here because I like clothes and quality and I am in New York purely for educational reasons.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
I've become a pretty much thrift store centric shopper lately. When branding it up, though, in the past year I've pretty much only gone to Uniqlo, and a little H&M, when I can't find what I need/want at a thrift store.

That said, I'm 18 years old and in college; my non-parental income consists of a couple thousand a year from odd commissions. I also hate spending money.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 20 and starting college this year. Need to pay tuition and for credits, textbooks and all that other bullshit. Sooo....I work at a Salvation Army! I've gotten everything from Jil Sander, Ever and Whyred to Kiton, Hermes and Brioni. Plus everything inbetween....which consists of obscure European labels and lots of odd streetwear labels too. It's great clothing for an unbeatable price. Luxury for me would be brand spankin new Kiton, Borelli and the like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads