• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mall-brand or other cheap-ish suits

BtA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
Try eBay.

I actually have been scouting eBay quite a bit in general to upgrade my wardrobe, but as far as time goes, the funeral's Saturday, so eBay would be a no-go .... Plus, since I don't own a single suit, I'd like to try my first one on so I have a better feel for what my measurements are.

Nonk

Reaction score
How about borrowing a suit from a friend, or hiring one if such a thing is possible.

I have myself had to resort to such measures in the past.

Better that than a rushed, ill-advised purchase.

Any members near this chap available to help out?

ed1066

Reaction score
I would try the thrift store/consignment store route. I just found a pretty decent suit there for $12. It is a Hart Schaffner Marx SB 2 button gray pinstripe. It fit me very well and only required slight tailoring of the sleeves. The suit had virtually no wear (pockets still shut) and looked to be only a few years old at most. I thought it was a score.

PS - Bonus, it had a silk RL pocket square in the inside pocket, too, which I didn't find until I got home!

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BtA
I actually have been scouting eBay quite a bit in general to upgrade my wardrobe, but as far as time goes, the funeral's Saturday, so eBay would be a no-go .... Plus, since I don't own a single suit, I'd like to try my first one on so I have a better feel for what my measurements are.

That's the day after tomorrow ...
eh.gif
... I'd say hie the to a shop and get a suit. Make sure they can tailor it before your funeral (so it isn't YOUR funeral) and be done with it.

lwliang1

Reaction score
Well suprisingly you can find affordable suits from Amazon.com (yes i know, I thought they only sold books too) but they are probably last year's styles. But since you're looking for something affordable, then 2007 styles compared to 2008 styles shouldn't be much of a problem right?

Or you could check out my site below for a list of some affordable suits you can find online.

Good luck!

BtA

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your help...

went with:

- Alfani charcoal gray pinstripe suit (Macy's)
- Bachrach tie (Bachrach)
- Born Shoes (Macy's)

Probably would have spent more time looking for something a bit better, but I was in a serious time crunch and had to use the mall for one-stop shopping.

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BtA
Thanks guys for all your help...

went with:

- Alfani charcoal gray pinstripe suit (Macy's)
- Bachrach tie (Bachrach)
- Born Shoes (Macy's)

Probably would have spent more time looking for something a bit better, but I was in a serious time crunch and had to use the mall for one-stop shopping.

Good choice on the Alfani. I was about to recommend it as well when i read your post. Alfani is pretty fashion forward for a budget dept. store brand. It should serve you well for your situation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads