• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maison Bonnet

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Resurrect this thread because I love them.

I have now been back many times.

I have the Tortoise pair but now also a couple of pairs of sunglasses and some identical to the tortoise in acetate to have them in the house, car and office.

Very highly recommended.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about getting some tortoise glasses but the cost is probably pretty prohibitive for me right now unless I can use my HSA card for them. I’m actually going to London and Paris next week and decided to do an appointment with Cifonelli right on Wednesday next week.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review! I was there last summer but they couldn't fit me in for an appointment. I plan to visit them this summer. They told me sky's the limit regarding the price (i.e. 6 digits).

I'm afraid if I go directly to tortoise, I may not like the design.

@poorsod

@Texasmade @Dandy Wonka

Same advice I was given by Franck and Cecile at the 5 Rue de la Champs atelier. Try out the acetate first and make sure you're comfortable with the design and fit before converting (same design) to Tortoise.

Alan Bee

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread had been dormant for too long.

So I went to MB to get a pair of sunglasses and readers. They strongly discouraged me from initially jumping into the deep end of the pool where the tortoise play. As it’s such a big financial commitment, they suggested that I try the style in acetate or horn first to see whether I was ready to commit to the frame in tortoise.
We rummaged around their frame selection for a pair that would suit my face (nose fitting is critical). If none were found we would start from scratch. Luckily we found a pair in grey horn that was appropriate for their “ready to fit” service. I did not have to use their full-fledged bespoke (ready to measure) service. They really know their stuff and won’t even consider selling you a frame (no matter how much you like it) if it does not suit your face. This first stage took about an hour but could have been much longer or shorter as the options arose. The second step (fitting) comes shortly. More then.
C52022C0-3AD9-4BFC-B45D-CB9A5C83981D.jpeg
7716CABC-340D-4C8A-B7CA-41DA9B199779.jpeg

4986C393-05E3-4CE0-9EFD-8BD4FB52ECB9.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to Paris in March or May 2022 and definitely want to stop by here to get some bespoke glasses. I tried Tom Davies Bespoke at my eye doctor in Houston and wasn't too impressed with the fit and service of their "bespoke" glasses. My guy at Corthay has some MB acetate glasses and he recommended I go to MB if I want real bespoke glasses.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to Paris in March or May 2022 and definitely want to stop by here to get some bespoke glasses. I tried Tom Davies Bespoke at my eye doctor in Houston and wasn't too impressed with the fit and service of their "bespoke" glasses. My guy at Corthay has some MB acetate glasses and he recommended I go to MB if I want real bespoke glasses.
Great! But keep in mind that while bespoke is always an option (in any of their three materials) it will require multiple visits. Unless you have a unique design in mind, I’d go with an open mind to see if any of their “ready to fit” options work for you.
It is unlike the difference between MTM and bespoke in the suit world. The quality of the “ready to fit“ is exactly the same as the quality of the bespoke (ready to measure) product.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I wait, I bring you …
Charvet and their wall of white shirting.
A273F4C3-DE72-4082-AA58-547333BD3148.jpeg

348D1E82-3157-46A5-88D5-6FC8463B9A58.jpeg

and Hermès with the dumbest, coolest thing I have ever seen in menswear, a cashmere dickey with a security pocket. I almost bought it.
34CD8ACA-886D-48DE-9724-1177EE94A1F6.jpeg

B19DB953-5F20-41FD-BFDC-202C5C079E8A.jpeg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve got my tortoise shell frames waiting for a fitting in Paris or London. Trying to get there by end of October.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got my tortoise shell frames waiting for a fitting in Paris or London. Trying to get there by end of October.
Not sure what you mean by “waiting for a fitting?” Do you mean that you’re going in for some adjustments on the fit? I’d be very surprised if they let you walk outof there without a fitting in the atelier basement.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by “waiting for a fitting?” Do you mean that you’re going in for some adjustments on the fit? I’d be very surprised if they let you walk outof there without a fitting in the atelier basement.

Not sure how I can be clearer. I have a fitting waiting for me. Just as with a bespoke suit, you have to try on a working version of the physical thing so they can make fit adjustments. This is more critical with tortoise shell than acetate, due to both the expense of the material/labor and the unforgiving nature of shell—apparently it can give you bad headaches if the arms are too tight, or so they tell me. In contrast, my bespoke acetate frames from Bonnet were made straight to final and fine-tuned at pick-up.

Put another way, bespoke acetate frames from Maison Bonnet take only two visits. Tortoise shell takes at least three (maybe more). They don’t ship to the U.S.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whats their pricing for tortoise these days? They started at $8k euro a few years back. I have noticed their lenses are nicer than what I used to get from my regular optician in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads