• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men: Final Season

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One thing I enjoy about the inclusion of the Coke commercial is how perfect the timing was. Wonder how long MW had that planned.

I seem to recall Weiner saying he's always had the final shot written/directed in his mind.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking about Peggy for a moment, I liked that the show led us to believe that she would end up wedded to her career, but then, at the last second, pulled the rug and gave her a shot at happiness outside the workplace as well. Probably says something that Don's protege found all her forms of happiness in the office.

I can't say I cared about a happy ending for Don, but I like that Peggy got one.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Thinking about Peggy for a moment, I liked that the show led us to believe that she would end up wedded to her career, but then, at the last second, pulled the rug and gave her a shot at happiness outside the workplace as well. Probably says something that Don's protege found all her forms of happiness in the office.

I can't say I cared about a happy ending for Don, but I like that Peggy got one.

Elizabeth Moss knocked it out of the park during that phone conversation. She is a master of subtle facial expressions.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reflecting on what I liked best about the series, one thing stands out and that was how accurately , in each season, they visually showed the evolution of the 60's-early 70's in furnishings, clothing and overall style. No series has ever quite done that. They did such an excellent job having period correct food wrappers, cigarette packs, beer cans, dresses, furniture, etc.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another standout "like"....the theme song. The trance-like haunting sound against the irregular percussion was excellent. I read somewhere that it was a re-arrangement of a song by a rapper.

KenRose

Reaction score
Going back to Tony getting whacked; the tell was that with each person coming in to the diner the bell would chime at the door and you would see the person coming in, then the camera would switch to Tony's view of the person coming in. On that last time we see Tony look up and then from his view it went black.

Stitches, Tony was whacked. That scene really left no ambiguity in the least if you know anything about how scenes are constructed. Honest.

Don's ending. No one has summarized it properly yet. The man who could not change, could not catch up with the times, finally caught up with the times and created his crowning glory of achievement. The last 3-4 seasons one of the major themes has obviously been Don was stuck in time/not changing with the times. In the very last scene we see Don engage in the ultimate of trendiness for that moment in history, and out of that, he creates his masterpiece. The smile was him coming up with the Coke idea and nothing more.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish he would have thought up "have a Coke and a smile and shut the **** up!"

He found his enlightenment I guess.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Peggy didn't go with Joan, Peggy stayed with McCann. Joan's agency is called Halloway-Harris.

Just realized her company is Joan and Joan.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have been reflecting on the finale and the series for the better part of a day now, and while I am less perturbed than I was when I watched it, I am still left quite underwhelmed.

As far as the pros go, pretty much all of the characters have been given a reasonable end, or at least clear path as to where they are headed, and the final shot, which I totally misinterpreted when watching it, was quite excellent. I think. Im not sure if I actually think that or I just want to think that because people are saying it was, and if its not, then man what a huge waste that was.

Thats about it for the pros.

Cons. They dragged on bunch of character arches only to swiftly change them at the very end.

Joan finally finds love and a cool guy and retires on their combined millions to live a life of leisure? Nope. Last second change she opens a production company, a business she really nothing to do with, because she was asked to do a favor that required her rolodex. Sure thing!

Peggy becomes a stone cold exec swaggering into McCann with a smoke and an Octopus sex painting ready to crush everyone? Nope. She has a last minute epiphany and finds herself swooning for Stan, her long time obvious paramour and we last see them as he rubs her shoulders while she writes copy. Potentially interesting, but could have used more of a build up and not nearly as awesome as her cigarette walk. Kind of pandering really.

Pete ever the company man embraces McCanna and keeps on closing accounts making millions? Nope. Reconciles with Trudy with a magical offer of moving to the sticks for Leer Jet, hugs and kisses all around. Cute, and nice to see Pete stop being an ass, but again, an extremely sudden change with very minimal buildup. Not as minimal as the previous two, but essentially it amassed to a few meets with Trudy as he was having his turn with the kid and 2/3 meetings with the jet guy. Weak.

Then we have Roger. Basically the same guy as he was in Ep 1 of the series. Acceptable, but far from interesting.

Cooper dies. Thats old news.

Betties story arch was also rather abrupt, all of sudden she is dying, but that is kind of how those things are. I think that was probably the most excellently done arch, and her letter to Sally and conversation with Don were outstanding. Probably the best final scenes of the series for any character for me.

Don. Basically is staggering around everywhere doing nothing. His attempt to create SC&P West was probably his most interesting move all season and that was crushed in seconds. Back to swift change. Don leaves "Don" to die and rediscovers a new self in hippy land. Nope. Last second switch he has the best idea ever and somehow makes his way back to McCann, even though as suggested when he sat down for the Miller meeting he was one of no shortage of ad men. Just another guy in the room. But still, we are expected to assume he went back, did his magic, and made the best ad ever after a refrigerator monologue made him realize people do need and reply on him and he is not a waste and a sham. Yipee. Would have been much more interesting to have that kumbaya scene in episode 3 this season and watch him make his way back up to the top with effort and creativity and then a flashback to the kumbaya scene as the inspiration for Coke. That would have been much more interesting for me anyways.

The feeling I am left with is one of un-engagement. That essentially it was a final season that technically ended well and tied things up, but was almost completely devoid of any entertainment and was almost entirely un-engaging. They slowly dragged everyone around with very meh story lines that amounted to nothing really, only to 180 and change a bunch them all in the final seconds. Great job. You guys are super brilliant and so smart. What wit. But this is still TV and great TV shows should be entertaining and engaging, along with being smart. This was neither for me for the past long time.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:brick:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads