• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men: Final Season

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Don was DB the whole time. :revolve:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So a question for you old fogeys... we're in the 70s now and drinking on the job still seems pretty regular. When did that start becoming unacceptable and was there a point where it finally became totally unacceptable? .

I graduated college in 1976 and began my publishing company in the SF Bay Area. I was working closely with one of the two largest printers on the West Coast and the majority of their volume came from advertising. As a result I would meet with them and have lunches with various management and often some of their advertising clients. I was in my early 20's everyone else was 40's to late 50's. It was all suit and tie. A typical meeting would be to arrive at 10AM, chat for 30 minutes to take care of business while smoking several cigarettes and then we would head off to lunch. So we get to a downtown restaurant and they are still setting up so the owner would have us sit at the bar. As soon as one was ordered, a second one would be waiting for you. We would then be shown to our seats and someone would say"lets get another round while we order". (not even thinking of asking if you wanted one). Then wine would be ordered along with our lunch order (the printers and advertisers did a ton of wine work at that time). After lunch we would have a "funny coffee or two" and then a stinger or other after meal drink before heading back to "work". And we were all smoking the entire time. Discussions were never about families or family life. It was hunting, bedding a girl (not their wives), deep sea fishing, war stories, etc.

2X a year these guys would have a party. Every middle aged male advertising executive in Northern California would attend. I was one of only two younger guys invited. And, every recent female college grad (early 20's) working in advertising in the city was there (but not their boyfriends or the young guys from their offices) . The booze flowed and there were tons of stories of action in closets, behind printing presses, etc... Talk about a stocked pond.

Around 1980, it all seemed to slow down. Meetings were more about work and lunches were brief. Guys began quitting smoking and only the real old account managers drank at lunch. More women began taking on important decision making roles and it became less of a boys club. I remember the owner saying around that time,"rather than go to lunch the young guys head to the gym".

I would say that unless you had something special to celebrate, a guy ordering cocktails at lunch by the mid 80's was looked at as "a serious drinker" although even my conservative bankers might suggest a nice glass of wine. Cocktails at lunch were beginning to be viewed as hard core but there was nothing wrong with a glass of wine.

Of course, there were always conservative companies where no one was allowed to drink during business hours. I think IBM was that way even in the late 70's. After work, no problem but never on the job.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there is a pool for last fade-to-black song, put me down for

Stevie Wonder, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^^^ that would be an awesome ending to the show if that were the case

I don't see how it would make sense. Don doesn't seem to care about money (he just threw away a million on Meghan), has essentially no possessions now and just sold his old apartment, so he's not hurting for cash. Why would he skyjack a plane and demand some relatively petty amount of money? The idea strikes me as goofy, especially considering the one thing it would achieve -- his disappearance -- could be accomplished by simply not returning to a New York he's already left.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hey, Doc, good to see you.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If there is a pool for last fade-to-black song, put me down for

Stevie Wonder, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"

No way they have always gone with tunes on the edge of obscurity.

I don't see how it would make sense. Don doesn't seem to care about money (he just threw away a million on Meghan), has essentially no possessions now and just sold his old apartment, so he's not hurting for cash. Why would he skyjack a plane and demand some relatively petty amount of money? The idea strikes me as goofy, especially considering the one thing it would achieve -- his disappearance -- could be accomplished by simply not returning to a New York he's already left.
yeah the premise doesn't make much sense and if don wanted to disappear in a big way i don't think he would do it anonymously. If dick wants to disappear he just leaves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads