• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Jackets Thread

uninkco

Reaction score

The Olive MA-1 jacket from Topman arrived yesterday.

The fit is in fact very close to how it is in the photo. There's some slouch in the body, so it's not quite as slim-fitting as I'd imagined.

It also has a bit of quilted lining, so it's not quite the warmer weather jacket that I was looking for.

I'm still deciding whether or not I'll keep it.

Overall what are your impression? Decent quality? Worth the price?

Duncan Mak

Reaction score
Overall what are your impression? Decent quality? Worth the price?

I'd say the quality is decent. The zipper could be more hefty / sturdy, but it's not bad at all. If I didn't already have a jacket in a similar weight, I think I'd be more incline to keep it.

The cuffs seem well-made, they're quite snug around the wrist, so it keeps the body fairly warm.

It's listed in the description but not shown in any of the photos -- the inside lining of the jacket is bright orange, so if you want a jacket that mimics closely the original military styling (like a jacket from Alpha Industries), the Topman might not be a bad choice.

I tried on another olive bomber jacket from Zara the other week, and I'd say I like the Topman better because it's better made.

Here's a photo of the Zara jacket (Zara hires better photographers than Topman, though, I'd say)
http://www.zara.com/us/en/man/jackets/bomber-jacket-with-printed-lining-c564607p1667892.html

afranzheim

Reaction score
doubt that the SoC MA-1 has been posted here (no love for Stevenson on SF?). Quality of these is unreal.

A few more pics can be found in the Stevenson thread.

Last edited:

wanderedsouth

Reaction score
140 pounds, 5'9, what size should i get for Alpha Industries MA-1?

Alpha recommend going one up from your normal size and that's what worked for me. Be warned, the regular Alpha is more puffy looking than many of the jackets seen in this thread.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rick Owens.

Zeebo

Reaction score

ricesuit

Reaction score
if you say the large fits perfect, i'm sure it's fine. it's hard to judge when there's no pics lol

ricesuit

Reaction score

Our Legacy

i've seen this look a lot whiter on other sites, this is just a pic from oi polloi

would be really sick for s/s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads