• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

frei1689

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good casual khaki colored chino fabric in the $100 range? I see there are plenty of options, so if someone has experience with specific fabrics that would be great. I am having a hard time nailing down which one to order.

I am looking for something for casual wear, so no sheen, and I prefer the color to be on the darker/browner side instead of stone colored. Between the new copper chino, khaki twill chino, dark copper chino, and dark khaki twill chinos I am paralyzed by the number of choices.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching this request. I too am interested in chino fabrics.

As a side, I find the fabric selection to be one of the more frustrating things about Luxire. There is almost too many choices and the curation is non-existent. It would be great to less fabrics, better grouping, and reviews for top shirt and pant choices.

Thrifter

Reaction score
I ordered the new copper last fall and while I love the colour, I found they shrunk a tad more than usual in length and they are somewhat prone to wrinkles (moreso than Brisbane Moss fabrics anyways). Not dramatically but noticeably.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Watching this request. I too am interested in chino fabrics.

As a side, I find the fabric selection to be one of the more frustrating things about Luxire. There is almost too many choices and the curation is non-existent. It would be great to less fabrics, better grouping, and reviews for top shirt and pant choices.

We are hopeful that the new site will help in this. Do try this link and let us know your thoughts. We have loaded 2k+ fabrics so will be a real test scenario.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Tropical wool comparison: Smith Finmeresco, Minnis Fresco and Dugdale New-Fine-Worsted

When it comes to "business dressing", wool is often the only good option. Wool has always been associated with warmth. There have been attempts to find the right material for business dressing in summer. One such successful material has been "tropical wool" or "uptwist wool" or "porous wool". lot of mills makes such fbrics these days, the most popular being Minnis Fresco, Smith Finmeresco and Dugdale's New Fine Worsted (NFW).

A question often arises: Which of these do I choose? My standard answer has often been: All 3 are British, all 3 are good. Go with what you like best. Chose to do a comparison and went with the common weight category in the 3: 280-310 grams, 100% wool.
The shade chosen was a yarn dyed charcoal as it was a common item in all 3 collections.

Feel: The Minnis feels dry and distinct. It is also stiff in comparison to the other 2. The Dugdale feels softer in comparison to the Smith.

Appearance:From a step back, all 3 appear similar. Up-close, the weave of the Minnis stands out. The Smith does appear a bit dull in comparison.

Thickness: Minnis is the thickest, then the Dugdale and then the Smith.

Airiness: Minnis Fresco feels cooler than the other 2. The Dugdale is the least.

Opacity: The Dugdale is the most opaque. The Minnis the most see-through.

Pricing: As pricing can really vary for items depending on multiple factors, it may not be right to discuss the fabric price here. To give an idea, we sell pants in the Dugdale for $179.99, in Fresco for $299.99 and Finmeresco for $349.99

Conclusion: In a lot of ways, the Dugdale feels like a standard plain weave worsted fabric. The Minnis does feel and appear distinct, for what it is. The Smith is a good balance between the two. I would still say the same: All 3 are British, all 3 are good. Go with what you like best. If I were to choose one, I would probably go with the Minnis Fresco.

Contango

Reaction score

We are hopeful that the new site will help in this. Do try this link and let us know your thoughts.  We have loaded 2k+ fabrics so will be a real test scenario.

The prices are significantly higher on the beta site - are they real prices?

[edit: referring to the $99.95 that have become $134.95 for example, although I now see some shirts at $1,349.95 so I'd assume they're not real...]

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The prices are significantly higher on the beta site - are they real prices?

[edit: referring to the $99.95 that have become $134.95 for example, although I now see some shirts at $1,349.95 so I'd assume they're not real...]

They are not real. In the next cycle, we are doing error correction in the data and loading real prices. Once that is done, we may choose to go live with the new site in parallel.

Thrifter

Reaction score
@Luxire - are orders with more expensive fabrics handled by more experienced craftspeople? I've noticed a high degree of correlation between more expensive fabric choices and precise fit (even when ordering from the same pattern). I know some of it could be drape, etc, but it seems to be more than that.

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Luxire - are orders with more expensive fabrics handled by more experienced craftspeople? I've noticed a high degree of correlation between more expensive fabric choices and good fit (even when ordering from the same pattern). I know some of it could be drape, etc, but it seems to be more than that.

There is no such segregation in our studio. All tailors are of the same rank. The only segregation is by product skill: Shirt makers, trouser makers, jacket makers and so on. But, all shirt makers are of the same rank.

There is no compromise on quality, workmanship or anything else. All garments are made exactly the same.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire has multiple white pique's....

any1 here use a lux.pique to produce a white collared shirt.............

(I just tried on a kamakura pique BD.. and it was lovely.)

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one in process now, a duplication of a rtw shirt from a Neopolitan maker that needs a few adjustments to fit me well. I am having it made in the heavier white pique after reviewing several swatches. I think the weight is in the 9-10oz range. I am eager to get it in order to see the result and if good, to order more.

Quesjac

Reaction score
I have one in process now, a duplication of a rtw shirt from a Neopolitan maker that needs a few adjustments to fit me well. I am having it made in the heavier white pique after reviewing several swatches. I think the weight is in the 9-10oz range. I am eager to get it in order to see the result and if good, to order more.
Great, please post some photos / evaluations when you get it!

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes pls!...let us know...pics too!

so you made your choice after seeing a few of the pique swatches?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads