• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while and am finally going to order my first shirt. I'm thinking of doing a lightweight chambray shirt with a cutaway collar - something I can throw on under a sportcoat during the hot summers here in DC. The blue denim slub chambray looks nice but does anyone with experience with the fabric know if it will work well for humid summers? If not does anyone have any other recommendations that will fit the bill?

In addition I'm thinking of order my first pair of trousers. Probably going to go with the gray wool flannel unless you all think that it's best to stick to the fit-test pants for my first pair.
Its too warm and thick, I would consider something thinner or lighter weight. I run hot though.

DL-

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Quote:
If waist measurement is provided, we make the shirt accordingly. Darts are added when requested and done to reduce the back of the waist. If the desired waist measurement is net after the darts, the same should be mentioned in the notes.

Well, crap.

If that's the case then I've just made the same mistake. I'll just take the darts out and specify on future orders, but yeah, I did assume that where I provided a waist measurement and requested darts, that the waist measurement I provided would be the final number, eg the net-after-darts measurement.

So, following up on this... I just received my shirt and it looks like you guys did what I wanted you to do actually. I had specified a waist measurement of 15.5" and also asked for darts. It looks like the shirt got made with the darts as requested and the waist measures 15.5" net after darts. That's what I wanted.

My question now is whether I can count on that to be the same in the future. If I copy the order exactly, will I be ok, or should I still specify "waist measurement is net after darts" from now on just to be sure? I don't want to provide confusing information where I'm trying to just duplicate a past order that came out perfectly.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
And here is the collar on my new shirt. I've added it to the google doc for anyone interested, under "Van Buren collar"

tumblr_nkyewhvUe61r8bgano1_540.jpg

As far as I can tell, there isn't anywhere that offers all of the dimensions of this collar as a stock option. I have a long neck, so I need a taller collar band, but I'm also very skinny, so long collar points look vastly out of proportion on me. For instance, the proper cloth Milano collar has the height I need, but the points reach damn near halfway to the ends of my shoulders. So this one has the height but with a much shorter collar point, only 3 inches.

I also had an extremely hard time finding any wide spread or cutaway collars that have any tie space. Luxire was able to put 3/8" tie space and still get the spread I wanted. I bought a lot of shirts from moderntailor in the past and they could do a tall collar with short points, but they way it was built caused it to overlap anytime I tightened my tie a little too much, thus creating "negative tie space" which is a really annoying look. You can sort of see what I am talking about here:

tumblr_nknek76zLk1r8bgano2_540.jpg

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Took you long enough to finally get here Chris, you and your swan neck!

My question now is whether I can count on that to be the same in the future. If I copy the order exactly, will I be ok, or should I still specify "waist measurement is net after darts" from now on just to be sure? I don't want to provide confusing information where I'm trying to just duplicate a past order that came out perfectly.

If you want to repeat or tweak your shirt pattern for future orders, simply order the fabric and respond to the confirmation email: "Shirt in style and measurements as #Ordernumber". Luxire stores a pattern as well as all instructions from your previous orders. If you want something changed simply refer to the previous order and let them know.

Personally, I suggest you opt for a thinner placket, or French placket on future orders.

Last edited:

monkk

Reaction score
Guys, after reading all this fuss about waist and back darts I have quite simple first timer question: when providing body measurements do I need add extra into size or provide pure body measurements?

Arion

Reaction score
The pants I received until now had a lot of fabric in the hem. You could just order pants to be hemmed. No extra cost if they turn out the right length. Otherwise you can easily remove the stitching and have them re-hemmed. Unless the length is off by too much, like a whole inch too short or so. Which seems unlikely to me if you provide good measurements.

Last edited:

inno

Reaction score
Guys, after reading all this fuss about waist and back darts I have quite simple first timer question: when providing body measurements do I need add extra into size or provide pure body measurements?

For body measurements you provide pure body measurements. However, the consensus is that body measurements can be troublesome: Luxire will make a shirt that fits those measurements, but you don't really know what it will fit like. Your idea of 'slim fit' could be different to theirs.

It's safer to provide shirt measurements based on shirts you already own. You don't need a perfect fitting shirt: just combine the best parts of each and make any adjustments you think would suit (chest width from shirt A, sleeve length from shirt B, yoke width from shirt C with an extra 0.5", etc).

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do Kevlar / Aramid lined jeans, shirts, trousers sound of interest?

We are looking at sourcing Aramid fiber fabrics and threads for making the ultimate slash / skid proof clothing for the outdoor enthusiast.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads