• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've also never gotten hit with duties coming into the US, so would lean more towards an opt-out system here. Also I've been doing a lot of single-shirt orders, so a $20 flat fee would be a rather steep price increase.

cappedncollared

Reaction score
I think the duties initiative has the right intention (adding certainty to customers orders) but a 'one size fits all' approach won't be palatable for many.

The best implementation I have seen is from East Dane, a subsidiary of amazon.

East Dane gives the consumer the option to calculate and pay all duties at the online checkout as part of the single transaction. This adds certainty to the customer and presumably reduces any potential hold ups in customs.

I don't know if the system supporting the East Dane checkout is amazon proprietary, or if this platform is available off-the-shelf, but I think it would be worth exploring further.

Edit. - a company called DutyCalculator appears to offer this service through an API. (No affiliation).

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't been charged duties on any of the 4 orders I've made so far, so I would prefer this to be opt-in also, as I'd rather not subsidize any else's duties issues either.

Same here. I always order dress shirts priced at $70 and no extra taxes. This new process you guys are thinking about does not really benefit North American customers. I can see how charging extra shipping on pants that are over $100 where Fed Ex would probably charge you duty? But other than higher priced items it doesn't really make sense.

I for one won't pay extra 15 or 20 bucks for a shirt.

PiCcolocV

Reaction score
Like others, I tend to only order 1-2 items at a time, and never had an issue with duties in the U.S. Hate to say it, but adding $20/order would basically make Luxire a non-option for me.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also worth mentioning - with MTM stuff, people often buy one item at time, as they gradually tweak the fit to get it to where they want it to be. This would cost an extra $20 for each trial.

For example, only on my 4th shirt would I consider it to be perfect (the rest are pretty great). Adding a $20 charge regardless of the size of the order actually drastically increases the barrier to entry, because that would be an extra $80 for 4 orders, or in other words a whole extra shirt.

Was this a cost control measure, or a convenience measure? If the former, we'll just have to eat it (or not), if the second, many of us would like to opt out.

Over the long term, I have concerns about Luxire being able to provide the great service and customization options they offer at the current price levels. This is a really unique service that they offer.

Last edited:

sebastianwr

Reaction score
Like others, I tend to only order 1-2 items at a time, and never had an issue with duties in the U.S. Hate to say it, but adding $20/order would basically make Luxire a non-option for me.

Well, as a European, I'll pay $15 shipping under $100. So it's either take something more luxurious to get to $100 or to bite the bullet and pay $15 extra for a $60 Oxford shirt. Or order two shirts. I'd say US terms are pretty fair. ;)

Last edited:

easy_golfing

Reaction score
Just ordered my first shirts a few days ago but would like to echo what others have said about opting in. $20 extra per order would rule out Luxire for me.

Xtra

Reaction score
I've never had any duty charges to the US for any of my orders, so a $20 charge for this effectively means I'm paying an extra $20 to subsidize the duty costs for other people in regions that have to pay duties. Not sure I'd be on board for this...

+ 1. Only been hit with customs on one order (residing in Norway) out of a total of 9 orders, so I would prefer that it stays the same way.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Luxire,

I certainly hope this fee would be a choice and not forced upon every customer.

In Canada, I have been charged with duties twice and that was only on larger orders and the fees themselves only came to $18 dollars anyways. I have purchased over $1,500 of clothes with approximately a dozen orders and paid a grand total of $36 dollars of duties and fees. If this fee was assigned to every order then it would be a significant increase in price for me and can tell you a matter of factly that it would reduce the amount I would purchase from Luxire.

As long as Luxire communicates that duty and fees are not included very clearly in the invoice and through the checkout process then no one should be surprised if they do get hit with fees by the shipper.

If Luxire is looking to make more money and the costs of shipping are causing an issue, then I recommend increasing the price of each product by $5 dollars or something instead. For me, the great thing about Luxire is that I can order one shirt by the click of a button and can slowly accumulate a wardrobe. By making a $20 shipping charge per order would mean that you would need to purchase in larger orders instead, which isn't ideal for a MTM product in which you need to tweak on each version you receive.

Last edited:

Spurious

Reaction score

Well, as a European, I'll pay $15 shipping under $100. So it's either take something more luxurious to get to $100 or to bite the bullet and pay $15 extra for a $60 Oxford shirt. Or order two shirts. I'd say US terms are pretty fair. ;)

I've been reading this $100 thing quite a few times.
All of my orders are above $100 and I still have to pay for shipping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads