• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Quesjac will report back this week. thanks

CDRiis

Reaction score

Bazsy

Reaction score
Anyone has experience with the madras fabrics? I'm considering this one:

https://luxire.com/collections/shirts/products/cotton-navy-grey-madras-checks-bh_ya_122#/

I would appreciate any recommendations if anyone has tried it or a similar madras fabric. It also looks lighter in color in one of the photos... How can I tell which color it truly is?
I just got one of these. It's a soft and vert airy fabric. While it's very thin it's not see trough. I like the feel of the fabric. After one wash it was almost wrinkle free as well so one could skip the iron if he is not a perfectionist like me. But it was also very easy to iron. Color is somewhat darker than the on the sample photo but lighter than on the shirt photo. The colors are also quite soft if you know what I mean.

Reaction score
On the topic of trousers: I'm putting together a trouser cloth guide, to go with the shirt guide.

View attachment 991617

I've PM'd a few of you, but I'll make one more general request: please tell me your favourites, especially if you think they are under-rated.

If you can share a photo too that would be amazing, but any opinions would be helpful. Especially interested in the more ususual cloths, eg. worsted wools in not-grey; patterned trousers; linen/canvas/jute; moleskin, etc., but any and all opinions are welcome, by reply on this thread or by PM.

I'd especially welcome thoughts from the Luxire 'power users' who are sometimes on this thread (@patliean1 @emptym @taxgenius @NOBD @SimonC @CruzAzul @DavidLane @sugarbutch etc ) but appreciate we're all busy people. Cheers!

Thank you for taking this on - a tricky proposition for all the reasons you have stated previously. I suspect I will not be the only one who awaits with some degree of anticipation. Thanks again.

AmirF27

Reaction score
I just got one of these. It's a soft and vert airy fabric. While it's very thin it's not see trough. I like the feel of the fabric. After one wash it was almost wrinkle free as well so one could skip the iron if he is not a perfectionist like me. But it was also very easy to iron. Color is somewhat darker than the on the sample photo but lighter than on the shirt photo. The colors are also quite soft if you know what I mean.
You got the exact same fabric I linked to, or another madras fabric? I'm curious to know how you designed it by the way. I'm trying to decide what type of collar it should have (either unlined or button down, most likely), and whether I should add any chest pockets.

angusangus

Reaction score
@luxire or anyone else who has figured it out, is there a way to sort fabrics by 'Newest added' so that us addicts can see which are the most recent and exciting additions?

CDRiis

Reaction score
That would be great! If you could include some photos too it would be much appreciated. Which fabric did you order?
They have two available, I got both. A blue/red and a yellow/green/something/something

Both styled as a classic BD - I added light fused collar though to make up for the thin shirting. Also I've found that unlined collars tend to collapse around a tie. And finally - unfused collars need ironing and I send all shirts to be cleaned - I get a much better results with fused collars.

AmirF27

Reaction score
They have two available, I got both. A blue/red and a yellow/green/something/something

Both styled as a classic BD - I added light fused collar though to make up for the thin shirting. Also I've found that unlined collars tend to collapse around a tie. And finally - unfused collars need ironing and I send all shirts to be cleaned - I get a much better results with fused collars.
The one I found is actually navy and grey:

https://luxire.com/collections/shirts/products/cotton-navy-grey-madras-checks-bh_ya_122#/

Which fabrics are you talking about? We might be talking about different fabrics as I don't think I found the ones you mentioned.

Also, I'm going to be wearing it casually by itself, without a tie (and untucked as it's casual). Would an unfused and unlined collar work in this case?

P.S.: I really apologize to anyone who might find my questions silly or annoying. I'm just not used to MTM and it's a bit overwhelming, and I just want to be sure I'm making the right decisions that would fit my needs when it comes to designing the shirts.

Bazsy

Reaction score
You got the exact same fabric I linked to, or another madras fabric? I'm curious to know how you designed it by the way. I'm trying to decide what type of collar it should have (either unlined or button down, most likely), and whether I should add any chest pockets.
Yes, the exact same fabric which I btw chose after looking at all options for about 2 days.
On recommendation from Luxire I chose an unfused soft english collar (which turned out perfect for the fabric and intended usage) and as this shirt will only be used for leasure activities I ordered a rollup sleeve and button tab (which means I have an extra button for the tab visible on the arms). This way I have more flexibility for the weather.
I never use pockets but this was actually an exception because I kinda liked the pocket type seen on the fabric page as well so I ordered a pocket with that design (which turned out very fine).
Otherwise I chose a split yoke, V-gusset, boat curve bottom, center box pleat, standard placket and one button rounded cuff (I have an own design for my left cuff with larger size and 2 buttons to accomodate for all the different watches I use.

Bazsy

Reaction score

Which fabrics are you talking about? We might be talking about different fabrics as I don't think I found the ones you mentioned.

Also, I'm going to be wearing it casually by itself, without a tie (and untucked as it's casual). Would an unfused and unlined collar work in this case?

P.S.: I really apologize to anyone who might find my questions silly or annoying. I'm just not used to MTM and it's a bit overwhelming, and I just want to be sure I'm making the right decisions that would fit my needs when it comes to designing the shirts.
You may ask as much you want to. I myself did the same until I came to some level of own perception. I still however ask Luxire all the time before I order something for a "new" purpose and also I ask here quite often but moslyt smaller details and not a general configuration, but it took me 3 years so you have a perspective :)

Thing is that if you have your pattern perfected you will probably look better than most people even if you make some bad design choices :)

CDRiis

Reaction score

I've bought the two "bleeding" madras as madras is sometimes used to describe a type of weave/dye and sometimes just a pattern. Bleeding madras is undoubtedly the former, whereas the options may be either or. I'm guessing it's "or" because of the description. That means you might just be looked at a checked cotton - could be any weave. I'd email Lux.

As for the collar: unlined/unfused is nice, though it'll obviously be very soft. It may collapse a bit under a sports coat and float around a bit. If that's ok, then go with it. :)
Also, you could ask Lux as they can actually feel the shirting and determine if it'll be super flimsy or just nice and soft.

Edit to insert link: Here are the "real" madras fabrics.

Last edited:

JIMB

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads