• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis Vuitton Shirt

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Do you think someone who likes a classic American brand like Brooks Brothers is influenced by rappers and ghetto culture?? Are you kidding me?

Did anyone say that they were? Anyway, again, please bother actually to read what people are writing to you before responding with more nonsense.

Also, SocalNY, yep, that's the same collection I was thinking... a/w 05.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
Yes, there are no racial boundaries on who can live in the ghetto. Maybe using the word ghetto was too harsh. A lot of whites live in the ghetto. (I guess that's where white trash comes from) In my book, Staten Island and maybe Florida are the pinnacles of ghettoish.
--trajan

I don't think everyone in Florida is "ghettoish".

My mother lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

Tiger Woods lives near her in Palm Beach, Fl.

Neither are ghettoish!

ms244

Reaction score
Long Island is ghetto? Can you define that a bit more? Perhaps you should take a research trip across the river and visit Newark, NJ. Go down to, say, intersection of
MLK and Clinton.
teacha.gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A shirt with white LV monograms all over it has got to be the gayest thing I have heard of in quite some time. If that's your thing, more power to you.

Here's a tip: Get your boyfriend to **** all over a Van Heusan you bought at TJ Maxx for $14. Same effect, same quality, much less money.

ms244

Reaction score
A question:

If you are buying the LV stuff, and the above mentioned LVBlog is yours. What do you do for money?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own or participate in an LV blog. I'm a consultant and work 9-5 like anyone else.

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Long Island is ghetto? Can you define that a bit more? Perhaps you should take a research trip across the river and visit Newark, NJ. Go down to, say, intersection of
MLK and Clinton.
teacha.gif

Staten Island, you know that's the place where NYC used to dump its trash.
devil.gif

--trajan

SartorialKing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
Yes, there are no racial boundaries on who can live in the ghetto. Maybe using the word ghetto was too harsh. A lot of whites live in the ghetto. (I guess that's where white trash comes from) In my book, Staten Island and maybe Florida are the pinnacles of ghettoish. The requirements are: people who can't spell or pronounce words, people who are not educated and don't value education much, people who are isolated from the rest of the world, people who are culturally bankrupt. These people are poor because otherwise they would move out of that environment -- it's hard to raise kids there.

--trajan

Oh, so you mean like all of USA is a ghetto?

laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialKing

laugh.gif

+1

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialKing

laugh.gif

Hey, we're not culturally bankrupt, at least not in the south. Down here we have... ummm.. Nascar... and...umm... Mountain Dew and...umm... okay, maybe you're right.
wink.gif
j/k

Anyway, we've long since veered off topic from the LV shirt. Even though the basic argument stands that LV is only a mid-tier maker, I think that some members may be confusing the LV Monogram Canvas pattern (the famous, garish LV logo) with the RTW line, which in general is often quite subtle and rarely smattered with lots of logoing. Marc Jacobs' design teams at LV are quite clever and realize that the same consumer who will buy a $35,000 very slim-fitting ostrich coat or $12,000 carpetbag are not the same who would buy a loose-fitting sweatsuit with LV logos all over it. As such, the more garish items are generally those that are considered the more "accessible" parts of the collection, designed for the aforementioned ghettoish or chav types who want to show off. Again, "accessible" might mean $1000 sweatpants designed by Pharrell, but that still is cheaper than the top parts of the collection, whose leather goods and furs would rival Hermes, Valentino, or one's sacred Brioni, Kiton, or Borelli... and would cost just as much. In short, they're trying to appeal to a number of demographics, but the top items are not necessarily the demographic you might think.

Anyway, take a look at men.style.com or some of the other fashion sites and see the LV collections, they really aren't all that garish as you might think.

Now, again, the OP was talking about quality of shirts, which opened the can of worms because their shirts aren't really anything spectactular or rare. But, stylistically, often the collections are quite nice (as Socalny and I discussed earlier.)

lpwb32

Reaction score
The difference between you and I is that I understand your argument. Of course your going to argue you all like brands for XX reason, but I still see a lot of Group Think going on here. What your saying about my clothes is your opinion, and I understand that. What I'm saying, and what you don't understand, is that on niche forums like this (cars, clothes, fashion, movies, music) etc. is that most people are against mainstream brands. So this is a very trendy forum in a way that all its users grow to think alike about a niche segmet of the market.

I have an interest in many things, and I've been on niche forums like this on many different subjects and I see it ALL THE TIME. If you liked the movie the Lord of the Rings and went on a movie discussion forum you'd get flamed like I did here becasue you liked something main steam. Do you understand yet??? There are people just like you guys on every niche forum on the net, people don't like things becasue others do like it, and they feel superior to be the "only people to really understand (insert any of the following : true cinema, proper automobiles, proper fashion, real music, etc. etc.) A lot of people DON'T like main stream stuff for the same reason a lot of people DO like main stream stuff, becasue its main stream.

Your telling me to leave becasue I don't like the same brands as you? Get a life, friend. I came here to discuss fashion, I found a bunch of assholes who jumped on me becasue they diden't like my shirt, to which of course I'm going to retaliate. At the end of the day its all personal opinion anyway. If anyone here's opinion was worth more than mine they'd be selling it to a clothing company. Your all rehashing what others have told you. How many people on here are actually tailors or work front line in the fashion industry?

I came on looking for infromation, and no one volunteered anything, only smart-ass comments and insults. Maybe you need to rethink your forums strategy in dealing with new members. You all sound pretentious. Honestly, look at what you all wrote to me. If you were really interested in discussing fashion you would have taken the time to discuss it with me.

No one made a genuine effort as of yet.

LVoer, there is definitely a lot of group think here. there are favored brands but i think you misunderstand what everyone is trying to say. there are almost no brands that are completely off limits here save for squared-toe kenneth coles. there are plenty of members here who buy $500 dress shirts, as well as $50 mtm shirts from asia, and even down to $20 merona shirts from target. the underlying question for everyone is usually what is the price-quality ratio, not what is the absolute price alone. it seems the opinion you started the forum with -- "LV is mainstream, but SF only likes indie brands and therefore is bashing LV" is not the general opinion here and as members have tried to explain in every single response that its not a mainstream-indie issue but price-quality one, you seem to keep overlooking that and responding with the same original opinion.

some members have even come to the defense of LV, but with the same opinion that they like the styling but not the quality at retail prices. no one is bashing the brand for being too mainstream and not exclusive enough. in other words, you might want to rethink who is and isnt making genuine effort to understand.

prada and gucci are getting "too gotti for you"

i was about to give you some credit for that awesome line, but then thinking about it more carefully, i dont think you were suttle enough to intend that as a pun.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate everything those three kids wear. LOL. They ARE Gaudy.

You guys really need to stop critiquing what I type. When I get paid to type then I'll watch what I type. I don't take it too seriously from people who don't use capitals.

Your not following my argument. It was that people are defending indie brands under the guise of other arguments, like the one you pointed out. Get it now?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

You guys really need to stop critiquing what I type. When I get paid to type then I'll watch what I type. I don't take it too seriously from people who don't use capitals.

Your not following my argument. It was that people are defending indie brands under the guise of other arguments, like the one you pointed out. Get it now?

Maybe you need to stop worrying about whether they critique what you type.
smile.gif

Oh, and the contraction for "You are" is "You're", not "Your".
tounge.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about people who don't know "your" from "you're"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads