• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for recommendations on Brogues

Dizzle77

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum. Only joined a few days ago

I'm in the market to buy my first pair of brogues. Two factors are important

- will only spend a maximum of around £120 ($185)
- must be wide rather than pointed

I only want them for smart/casual wear, so doesnt have to be really formal.

I have been looking at the Rafferty 2 by Hudson - http://www.hudsonshoes.com/rafferty2-tan.html

Would be great if you guys had any other suggestions or brands to look at. Preferably those that ship to UK

Thanks
C

AndyMG

Reaction score
Another vote for Loake. I know they're not universally loved here, but I think that for the money, they're pretty good.

Dizzle77

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Now I've given myself a bit of a headache. It's a nice headache to have though.
smile.gif

I like the Loake Buckingham, Savoy and the Beaufort. I'm leaning more towards the last two though as they seem to be slightly narrower.

On the product pages, they mention 'Fitting'. Both the Savoy and Beaufort are 'F'. What does this fitting size refer to? Is it the width of the shoe?

These shoes are more expensive than what I was looking for, but they sound like a good investment

Last edited:

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
There might be a few options in the sale at A Fine Pair of Shoes. I got a pair of Alfred Sargent semi-brogues for £128 (had to send them back in the end as they were too big). Limited range of sizes in the sale stock though. Might try Pediwear as well, but there's the same problem there.

Or you could try Kurt Geiger. I think they still had a few pairs of brogues left in the sale. Don't trust their in-store stock checking bit though as it tells lies.

What sort of colour are you looking at? Something brownish I assume?

Now I think of it, if you're a narrow size 11 I might have somehting for you myself. A pair of Church's that I bought of the B&S at AAAC a year or so ago that I've been meaning to put up for sale on here.

Dizzle77

Reaction score
There might be a few options in the sale at A Fine Pair of Shoes. I got a pair of Alfred Sargent semi-brogues for £128 (had to send them back in the end as they were too big). Limited range of sizes in the sale stock though. Might try Pediwear as well, but there's the same problem there.
Or you could try Kurt Geiger. I think they still had a few pairs of brogues left in the sale. Don't trust their in-store stock checking bit though as it tells lies.
What sort of colour are you looking at? Something brownish I assume?
Now I think of it, if you're a narrow size 11 I might have somehting for you myself. A pair of Church's that I bought of the B&S at AAAC a year or so ago that I've been meaning to put up for sale on here.

thanks for the suggestions. I've already had a look on KG site. I quite like the Randwick, but not too keen on the sole.

I've just had a quick look on A fine pair of Shoes. They have a nice pair of Alfred Sargent on sale, but once again I'm not keen on the sole. On this particular pair, I just don't like how the sole protrudes beyond the leather - if that makes sense.

I have big feet, so always had a problem with finding shoes I really like. I am a 12-12.5 depending on the shoe. Sometimes it's hard finding manufacturers who make shoes that big.
I also have quite wide feet too. , hence why I am after a slightly wider fit. I don't mind going narrower for shoes that I solely wearing for functions/events, but as I intend to wear these brogues more frequently then they need to be comfortable for me for long periods of time.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Herring shoes. Their own brand ones are classic in style and made by either Loake or Barker, giving you reasonable quality. I have 4 pairs of Herring brogues next to me as I type.

Dizzle77

Reaction score
Another vote for Herring shoes. Their own brand ones are classic in style and made by either Loake or Barker, giving you reasonable quality. I have 4 pairs of Herring brogues next to me as I type.

I really like the Herring Richmond Tan.

These fitting sizes. Does anyone know where I can find some kind of measurement for each fitting size?

Dizzle77

Reaction score
I ended up buying a pair of Loake Savoy from Herring shoes. Just got them today. The fit is good and they look great.

Thanks again for the helpful info guys
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads