• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking For New Wallet

lookingforwallet31

Reaction score
A quick blurb about me....28 yrs old, Attorney in NYC. I am looking for a new wallet, and it's time...currently sporting a Ben Sherman from Nordstrom Rack I have had for years. The thread is fraying and stitching is torn. I think it's time for me to dig deep into the world of wallets but there are so many options. I am really interested in something designer that is sleek and looks good in a professional setting. So a few brands come to mind...LV, Tom ford, Prada, Givenchy, and some others...

LV you see everywhere obviously, and there are a lot of knock offs. But man I really do like some of the wallets. Tom Ford I like the money clip wallets aesthetically, but the money clip idea seems impractical, like your cash will not stay neat and tidy just being held by the clip in the middle of the wallet.

Anyway, here are some links to what I like so far, so you can get an idea of my taste, and I would love other suggestions. I like bi-fold and not just a card holder. As for price, I'd say I want to keep it $700 and below.

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/slender-wallet-epi-010131

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/multiple-wallet-taiga-000287#M42088

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/multiple-wallet-monogram-eclipse-014396

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/multiple-wallet-monogram-eclipse-flash-nvprod350100v

ThomGault

Reaction score
I am really interested in something designer that is sleek and looks good in a professional setting. So a few brands come to mind...LV, Tom ford, Prada, Givenchy, and some others...
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, because, to me, the wallets linked in your post are not particularly sleek or professional. In fact, with flashy logos and color patterns, they seem just the opposite. I find that nothing says 'class,' 'professional,' or 'elegance' like understated designs that don't show off couture logos and are built with quality materials for durability and will last for many years. In that mien, if I see fellow attorneys with wallets such as those which you linked, I would describe them as gauche. If, however, you're set upon a designer tag, I think that the second wallet which you linked looks better than the others.

lookingforwallet31

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, because, to me, the wallets linked in your post are not particularly sleek or professional. In fact, with flashy logos and color patterns, they seem just the opposite. I find that nothing says 'class,' 'professional,' or 'elegance' like understated designs that don't show off couture logos and are built with quality materials for durability and will last for many years. In that mien, if I see fellow attorneys with wallets such as those which you linked, I would describe them as gauche. If, however, you're set upon a designer tag, I think that the second wallet which you linked looks better than the others.
I see what you mean...I mean I am trying to avoid just a generic black/brown leather wallet that maybe has a small logo somewhere. I like a little flair to it but still being a bit subtle. I guess I find the black/dark gray monogrammed LV more subtle when compared to the same one but in the brown/tan color where the pattern stands out a lot.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I see what you mean...I mean I am trying to avoid just a generic black/brown leather wallet that maybe has a small logo somewhere. I like a little flair to it but still being a bit subtle. I guess I find the black/dark gray monogrammed LV more subtle when compared to the same one but in the brown/tan color where the pattern stands out a lot.
I understand. From my perspective, if I wanted a different style, I might try a different type of leather, perhaps gator or croc.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you plan on carying your wallet - jacket, front pocket or back pocket?

Friedmett

Reaction score
Used to carry wallet in back pocket too but lately the habit has changed to the right jacket pocket.

I agree with the Louis Vuitton are a tad generic for my taste and could be better designed for the style it presents.

SNERD

Reaction score
Goyard, Moynat, Faure Le Page, and Hermes may be other brands to consider if you are looking for something designer and quality. I've been using a Goyard St Pierre for a few years now and it still looks brand new with minimal wear.

I have a friend with a Tom Ford money clip wallet and he says it actually does a pretty good job at doing what it's supposed to.

lookingforwallet31

Reaction score
I have a wallet from Launer which I have had for years. It still look almost brand new.
If you don't like generic black/brown wallets, you can op for flashy internal leather color.
Something like the one below might work.
http://launer.com/raspberry-credit-card-wallet.html
i actually like these quite a bit:

http://launer.com/black-wallet-red-lizard-skin-en.html

http://launer.com/leather-billfold-wallet-en-2.html

It's just too bad when I change the internal color or anything, it doesn't allow you to preview what you're making. Also, do you have the gold plated corners? I feel like that may be a nice little bit of flair I'm looking for, but can't tell if it would look good or tacky without seeing it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where do you plan on carying your wallet - jacket, front pocket or back pocket?

If the OP wears a suit, the wallet should always be carried in his jacket pocket.
If the OP is going out casually, he should purchase a money clip and just take cash, license and CC.
If the OP carries his wallet in his front pocket, he will look foolish.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think the presence of a wallet should be at all visible in a suit. I think a slim profile wallet or moneyclip in inner breast pocket has the least visibility. Very few people see the actual wallet, but no matter how nice the wallet itself is, nothing looks worse than the bulk of one in any pocket.
If the OP wears a suit, the wallet should always be carried in his jacket pocket.
If the OP is going out casually, he should purchase a money clip and just take cash, license and CC.
If the OP carries his wallet in his front pocket, he will look foolish.
Agree on the suit.
As for carying a wallet in front pocket looking foolish - it depends on the wallet. What looks bad on anyone is wearing pants with the outline of a wallet in their back pocket. There are slim fit wallets and wallet/moneyclip combos that are designed for front pocket wear and that looks infinitely better than the outline of a fat wallet in the back pocket.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I don't think the presence of a wallet should be at all visible in a suit. I think a slim profile wallet or moneyclip in inner breast pocket has the least visibility. Very few people see the actual wallet, but no matter how nice the wallet itself is, nothing looks worse than the bulk of one in any pocket.

Agree on the suit.
As for carying a wallet in front pocket looking foolish - it depends on the wallet. What looks bad on anyone is wearing pants with the outline of a wallet in their back pocket. There are slim fit wallets and wallet/moneyclip combos that are designed for front pocket wear and that looks infinitely better than the outline of a fat wallet in the back pocket.

Sorry.....I should have added that the OP needs a slim wallet and practice carrying the very minimal in it:
CC/Bank card/license/etc.

Agree 100% on wallets showing through front/back pockets look horrible. I never carry mine in my back/front pocket. It't either in my jacket pocket or when I am out casually, I use my money clip usually in my front pocket.

iVoRy

Reaction score
i actually like these quite a bit:

http://launer.com/black-wallet-red-lizard-skin-en.html

http://launer.com/leather-billfold-wallet-en-2.html

It's just too bad when I change the internal color or anything, it doesn't allow you to preview what you're making. Also, do you have the gold plated corners? I feel like that may be a nice little bit of flair I'm looking for, but can't tell if it would look good or tacky without seeing it.
I didn't get the gold plated corners so can't comment on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads