• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for luxury watch i can beat up!

heyej

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Don't know if you consider a Sub a luxury watch, but they can take a beating (my no-date has for 20 years).

+1, Truth!

To the OP, don't know how "used" you're willing to go but vintage subs can be had around your price point.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
beater watches are min 10,000$

jaeger-lecoultre-master-compressor-.jpg

andrew96

Reaction score
Tag diver, my father got one in 1988 for $250 and wears it's everyday and all night, even in the shower. He often goes skiing,fishing,backpacking,swimming,kayaking,etc and it's running nicely. I think getting a non gold watch in that range is absurd.

ajw45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyej
+1, Truth!

To the OP, don't know how "used" you're willing to go but vintage subs can be had around your price point.

+2

Rolexs aren't the best deal in watches, the best finished, or the most innovative but the movements are reliable and the cases can take a beating. My seadweller has been my beater for 10 years and still going strong. I've had what should be durable manual wind movements die on me, tried bigger sport watches only to get snagged on stuff all the time, and seen the pvc/ceramic coating slowly scratch and chip off my last watch under regular abuse. The stainless seadweller has plenty of scratches but it still looks great. Someday when I buy a second one I'll take the first one in for servicing.

Additionally, I have a requirement that my beater watch not be massive and flashy. I'm not a fan of huge shiny sport watches or anything gold when I'm in third world countries...

jkw

Reaction score
Going along with the submariner theme, have you considered a nato strap? Comfortable, doesn't scratch and costs nothing to replace. Plus you can change colours etc easily. It just depends on taste - some say it makes a watch look cheap, and some are converted.

Here's the classic Bond strap from Goldfinger.
Rolex-Submariner-Nato-Strap.jpg

The Black carbon coated ones mentioned before are apparently extremely difficult to scratch but are overbudget

thunderthighs

Reaction score
OK, serious answer this time. There is only one "luxury watch" I can think of that is expressly designed to be beaten up and at the same time, won't look stupid on your wrist, or make you look like a lemming who just buys whatever appears on the big billboards and/or on celebrities' wrists.

The SINN U1.

I'm perfectly happy with my Seiko SKX007 as my every day beater but if I were looking to spend 1k+ then the Sinn U1 would be at or near the top of my list. Rolex and Omega can suck it.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Considered it but it isnt submersible... if its going to be that style then I want it to be

I know I am picky. Please bear with me

The Explorer II is submersible to 100m. Unless you plan on diving with it (in which case you don't require a diving watch anyway) the Explorer is a great choice, if you would prefer not to get a Sub.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have gone the beater route with most of the watches mentioned here. The Exp 2 and sea dweller are my true beaters. They take a beating and keep on ticking. One white and one is black.
The JLC, VC and P watch are too dressy. My IWC ingy I just sold, it is a well know scratchmagnet.
I am likely getting a TT sub blue face to add another beater. Rolex makes awesome beaters. Their datejust or DD are dressy beaters.

Regards.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
I use my Rolex Sub as my weekend beater watch. For what it's been through for about 20 years, it's a great value.

blofeld

Reaction score
I beat the ever living **** out of my Panerai and it holds up awesomely. Easily scored for less than 5K and with a rubber or kevlar strap on there, it can take whatever you throw at it.

danskidoo

Reaction score
I doubt anyone has heard of this but a Damasko DK10 is a very special watch that would more then likely survive being ran over.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads