• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Logistics of wearing a suit every day

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'll be frank...how does something like suit trousers which are always near your asshole get away with not getting washed after each use?

Wash your asshole (along with the rest of your body), and wear underwear. Dude...come on. We're too old for this problem. If you have 6 suits, then you can get through the week without having to wear one suit twice in the week. Maybe stick with solid variations of grey and blue. Change your underwear daily.

Godot

Reaction score

Wash your asshole (along with the rest of your body), and wear underwear. Dude...come on. We're too old for this problem. If you have 6 suits, then you can get through the week without having to wear one suit twice in the week. Maybe stick with solid variations of grey and blue. Change your underwear daily.

VinnyMac, I couldn't agree more. Put a fork in it-this one is done!:teach:

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
Even with lining/sweat guards those part will get sweaty.I'm not saying the sweat goes through the suit to the outside, but that parts of the suit, such as the lining under the arms and around the butt get sweat into them, which can't be good w/o cleaning sometimes.

I walk and take subways to work and also walk around my neighborhood and work neighborhood. The subway is air-conditioned, but the platform is not. Even in a summer suit it can get sweaty - this is New York City. Not 100F but 85-95F. Or check this guy out around 1:45 in Northern Italian style, soaked under the arms of his shirt, which is probably going to affect his suit.

This summer I went to a funeral and it was in the high 80s and sunny. Wore a navy linen suit. Sweated into the suit jacket.

The good news is linen, cotton and other summer suits tend to be cheaper than the cashmere's and stuff in the winter. If you are in situations similar to how you describe or like in tropical areas where you can't escape being really sweaty, buy a rotation of summer stuff that will be dry cleaned more frequently and chalk it up to the cost of living :)

duggyald

Reaction score
LOL.
Suits date from a time when most well-dressed men could store all of their clothes in a closet three feet wide. And no homes had laundry machines.
A good-quality suit wears more like outerwear than underwear.
Brush it after each use. Google "kent clothes brush."
Change your boxers every day. Also, wash your ass if it gets nasty.
teacha.gif

Sounds about right..especially the part where you should wash your a**

Godot

Reaction score
I love the phrase in the description "you may or may not want to have it dry cleaned" :brick: Reading the rest of the description, I wouldn't want to touch it, as in have contact with my skin, or even be in my apartment unless soaked in rubbing alcohol & I love Zegna. And I thought this thread was dead and done,clearly we have new depths to reach. :D

OinkBoink

Reaction score
How does one manage to bang his secretary daily whilst wearing his suit, without the stench of her ill-kempt gina building up in the groin area over time?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Godot

Reaction score

"IT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION....HOWEVER,THERE IS A STAIN IN THE CROTCH AND IN ONE OF THE POCKETS ARE NOT PERFECTLY CLEANED EITHER...OTHERWISE,A WONDERFUL SUIT. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT WANT IT TO BE DRY CLEANED.."

...greatest description EVER!

She's a great girl. OK more of a woman than a girl. She's a little overweight but, only if you look at her head on. If you look at from a profile and kind of squint, she's more than or at least average. She does have an SDT, so consider it as kind of an adventure. The goiter is covered by an Hermes scarf so that's not an issue. Oh and I'm not sure if it's her perfume or a natural essence, but I find putting a little bit of Vick's Vapor Rub under my nose when around her works perfectly. So you two kids have a good time and no need to thank me for setting you up.:D

addedfuel

Reaction score
great metaphor GDot.

As for logistics, I find I just have to spend a 5 minutes after each day to brush my suit and trousers and hang them immediately so it doesn't wrinkle. A little more maintence than jeans and t.

Plus dry clean once or twice a year, depending on your use.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on the type of brush one uses I would imagine all but the toughest fabrics would get ruined by repeated [aggressive] brushing over time. No?

I have a garment brush but rarely use it on my suits. I'm just careful when I wear them.

Last edited:

addedfuel

Reaction score
brush like you comb your hair not like scrubbing the floor. I use kent brushes help to remove dust, dirt and stains that may ruin the suit if untouched for too long. Prevents moths and bugs too as they are drawn to food crumbs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads