• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loding Shoes

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Loding shoes.

They're a sleek shoe and that's sure. The welt is good and the leather is well chosen. I dont think they'll last forever, but they were relatively inexpensive and they are well made, and I see them surviving a few years if I take good care of them.

Roughly the same quality as allen edmonds.

martinsth

Reaction score
How do the Loding shoes measure up quality wise with Loake shoes, which are roughly in the same price range?

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
sorry to bring up an old thread but there are still many unanswered questions about loding shoes.

how do they compare to allen edmonds? are they worth the 150 euros they sell for?

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
Good quality for the price (approx. 150 euros), but with some caveats - very stiff leather, very painfull to break in!

I bought a pair about 6 years ago and I'll say +1 for the stiff leather (I probably had to wear my pair a dozen times or so before it started to soften), but they've been holding up nicely.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarcreamsoda
sorry to bring up an old thread but there are still many unanswered questions about loding shoes.

how do they compare to allen edmonds? are they worth the 150 euros they sell for?

You can definitely get some sleeker styles with Loding than AE, but I think the quality of the leather on the one pair I got was definitely inferior to the quality on my AE pairs. I'll also note that I bought my pair of Lodings when the euro was trading much closer to the dollar, so the price differential was greater.

Stavros

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarcreamsoda

I got a pair of Loding shoes during my last trip to Paris (last month). It is this pair:

http://www.loding.fr/fr_26_chaussure...oncegomme.html

Pros: last shape very pleasing to the eye, good balance, clean lines, sleek but sturdy at the same time; discreet antiquing, very well done; full grain leather that looks to be decent quality; leather gets a great shine with polishing; decent construction--would easily put them in par with Allen Edmonds; decent price point (150 euros)

Cons: not a big fan of the rubber soles they use (would prefer dainite)

I noticed that several of their models run big, i.e. I had to size down by 1/2.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in France this past week and picked up two pairs, these to be exact (in both cognac and black):

http://www.loding.fr/en_16_shoes_ri...c-patina-box__353nevisaarmagnacpatine_en.html

Obviously I haven't seen how well they've withstood the test of time, but they seem like fantastic shoes for the money. Sleek without being too sleek, Goodyear Welted and, I believe, full-grain. They seem like great shoes for the money (about $175 at full retail after accounting for currency conversion/VAT refund). I'd imagine you'd spend twice the price at least to get that type of construction in the States (if paying full retail). Will report back when I've had a chance to wear/break them in a bit; there are a few places they need to soften up/expand a tad to be perfect but so far among the most comfortable dress shoes I've tried.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you certain they are GW welted? I looked at the web site and it looks to me like they are glued?????

They look really good in photo however.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you certain they are GW welted? I looked at the web site and it looks to me like they are glued?????
They look really good in photo however.

Both the site and the shoes themselves say that they are Goodyear Welted; if you open my link and magnify the sole shot you'll see where. However, they have a few sportier rubber soled offerings that are most certainly glued and use less nice leathers. I think those go for E120 instead of E160. They also have a few models at the E160 price that are a blake sole, but it's really easy to tell which when you look at the sole.

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score

Was in France this past week and picked up two pairs, these to be exact (in both cognac and black):

can you comment on the sizing at all? would you describe them as narrow or wide? how do the sizes compare to some of the english shoe makers?

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I just came back from France. If it's not €300 above, its not made in France.

The majority of shoes found in France are sourced from Portugal or Spain. They should use superior French Boxcalf leather too. I love French shoes. So stylish and classy.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both the site and the shoes themselves say that they are Goodyear Welted; if you open my link and magnify the sole shot you'll see where. However, they have a few sportier rubber soled offerings that are most certainly glued and use less nice leathers. I think those go for E120 instead of E160. They also have a few models at the E160 price that are a blake sole, but it's really easy to tell which when you look at the sole.

Gotcha. Great price for a GW shoe. Be interested in hearing how they hold up.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can you comment on the sizing at all? would you describe them as narrow or wide? how do the sizes compare to some of the english shoe makers?

Don't own any English shoes so can't comment on comparison sizing. Some of the pairs I tried fit too wide in the heel and in fact that's how I ended up with the ones I did; they're a bit narrower so there's a range. What I can tell you is that I wear a 9 in Bruno Magli and Ferragamo and the two pairs I purchased are marked 8, though I believe that is a UK sizing.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just came back from France. If it's not €300 above, its not made in France.
The majority of shoes found in France are sourced from Portugal or Spain. They should use superior French Boxcalf leather too. I love French shoes. So stylish and classy.

I too seriously doubt these are made in France if for no other reason than I'm sure they would brag about that fact if it were so. I'm guessing Portugal or Spain as well but that's just because when looking at the factory pictures all of the craftsmen appear to be caucasian, which rules out Asia, India or Africa. Not sure about the type of leather, will have to go back and take another look at the site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads