• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in Vancouver BC?

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
^Fairview isn't downtown. But the C-line actually makes it easier to live elsewhere because downtown is now closer by.

I actually pressed Reply before I had a chance to finish typing my thoughts... the Canada Line makes me feel like I pretty much live downtown. I never really even considered the Cambie Street bridge to be a real bridge for that matter. Like I said, 15 minutes to get from my bedroom to my office. It takes me friends who live in Yaletown longer to get from there to the financial district. And now that the Cambie renovations are totally done, I don't think I'd trade my locale for Yaletown.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I dunno man, I would still take yaletown if not for the priciness. But then it's Vantown, everywhere is pricey. There's a canada line stop at roundhouse anyway if you wanted to use the same method. It's just expensive there and becoming more so. The ideal place to live really depends on where you work obviously but for the core, Yaletown is still where it's at from my perspective.

I absolutely despise the Canada Line but that's because I'm living in Richmond until I leave B.C.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'd despise anything to do with public transportation if I was living in Richmond.

Like I said, I work in Yaletown and I'm really a big fan of living and working in the same area. I like Fairview because it's quiet, there's a ton of amenities near by, I have an awesome view, etc. And it's not really much cheaper than Yaletown. The place next door to mine just sold for $620k and my place is 70sqft bigger, corner unit, better view, additional parking spot, etc.

But don't get me wrong, I like Yaletown, but Mainland/Hamilton are WAY too loud, strata fees for the lofts are through the roof ($600 a month for a 700sqft place), and unless I was living on Marinaside or Homer, I wouldn't want to live there. Richards and Seymour make me sick to my stomach.

Gastown is another cool area, but I've also lived there (a loft on Water Street) and it is way too ******* loud. Also, after a while the bums and junkies get on your nerves.

ashpool

Reaction score
Depending on your situation, I highly advise you to avoid area west of Main St if you can. Coming from a rather spoiled lifestyle, I suppose I am a little biased when it comes to the definition of "sketchy." Nevertheless, I find there to be a sharp distinction in taste, style and general behavior of people as you move east of Main St. I lived most of my life in Victoria (secluded, beautiful, peaceful etc.) So when i was in Vancouver for a few months on work term, I found some parts of Vancouver to be rather sketchy, and I lived in possibly one of the nicest neighborhoods, Point Grey Kitsilano area). I thoroughly enjoyed Downtown however, and did not find it to be bad at all. However, it does get noticeably more ghetto as you get close to the skytrain stations. East Downtown is apparently really really sketchy. As I work in the health industry, I had access to a lot of summary records. The criminal rate and health of East DT is so different from rest of the city it seems as if it's a city of itself. 5-7 times the criminal rate and mental health and addiction cases. Regarding Richmond, I don't mind it, but it's a little *too asian (it's okay I'm Asian I can say that
biggrin.gif
) Perhaps it's because I lived in Victoria most of my life, but I can't stand the asianness of Richmond. The manners and general behavior of Richmond people are rather shocking. It's also really really crowded all the time (near major shopping centers.) Lastly, housing cost, like everyone said, is pretty expensive, and I doubt it is caused by the Olympics. How much does an ultra luxurious condo go for in Vancouver, say Coal Harbor or Yaletown? (Apparently Coal Harbor > Yaletown)...

SuSu

Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice everyone.

I found a place downtown on Hornby and will be moving up around the end of the month. It wasn't quite as close to the skytrain station as I had hoped, but was significantly cheaper than some of my other options. Apparently Vancouver has an insanely low vacancy rate right now, so I guess I was lucky to find a suitable place quickly.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashpool
Depending on your situation, I highly advise you to avoid area west of Main St if you can. Coming from a rather spoiled lifestyle, I suppose I am a little biased when it comes to the definition of "sketchy." Nevertheless, I find there to be a sharp distinction in taste, style and general behavior of people as you move east of Main St.

I lived most of my life in Victoria (secluded, beautiful, peaceful etc.) So when i was in Vancouver for a few months on work term, I found some parts of Vancouver to be rather sketchy, and I lived in possibly one of the nicest neighborhoods, Point Grey Kitsilano area). I thoroughly enjoyed Downtown however, and did not find it to be bad at all. However, it does get noticeably more ghetto as you get close to the skytrain stations. East Downtown is apparently really really sketchy. As I work in the health industry, I had access to a lot of summary records. The criminal rate and health of East DT is so different from rest of the city it seems as if it's a city of itself. 5-7 times the criminal rate and mental health and addiction cases.

Regarding Richmond, I don't mind it, but it's a little *too asian (it's okay I'm Asian I can say that
biggrin.gif
) Perhaps it's because I lived in Victoria most of my life, but I can't stand the asianness of Richmond. The manners and general behavior of Richmond people are rather shocking. It's also really really crowded all the time (near major shopping centers.)

Lastly, housing cost, like everyone said, is pretty expensive, and I doubt it is caused by the Olympics.

How much does an ultra luxurious condo go for in Vancouver, say Coal Harbor or Yaletown? (Apparently Coal Harbor > Yaletown)...

Sketchy? You want sketchy, try walking about downtown Los Angeles at night. The junkies in the Downtown Eastside are so beyond inebriated that they are completely harmless. Unless you're a complete fucktard, you shouldn't have any problems walking through that area.

Anyways, congrats on finding a place. Hornby sucks, but enjoy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads