• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen suit, outdoor wedding

bsinge50

Reaction score
Hi, I am getting married this June, and I am trying to find a suit. It will be an outdoor wedding at an arboretum, somewhat casual, and in a fairly hot climate.

I really like linen. Maybe a light gray or natural linen color, and I think this would be a classy look, maybe with a thinner knit tie with a plaid pattern ?

I am a little worried about wrinkling. I think it would be ok at the ceremony and for photographs right after the ceremony but after that, it will look wrinkly.

I don't mind this look, but it might be lost on the inlaw family--her mother has bad taste and has been fighting hard for the matching tuxedo look and all that.

The fiancee and I both like the look of linen, but would wrinkling be a problem? Would a linen blend help this, do you think? Should I go with a poplin or silk? I really like how linen looks.

Do you have any recommendations? My budget is somewhat limited, probably $500-600, but linen can be had somewhat cheaper than wool, right?

Thanks for any help, everyone.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think linen ought be fun and fine for an outdoor casual wedding. A few thoughts:

I think linen works best in natural or tan, the grays and blues work less well, IMHO, in grays or blues as suits

I have a linen/wool blend that captures the texture of linen, but wrinkles somewhat less. My is an older Italian suit, but I hope that others exist.

For photos, if you do the 100% linen, get the posed photos earlier in the day. By the time the dancing starts and the alcohol flows, the wrinkles will be in keeping.

If you want a compromise for the warm outdoor wedding, a fresco could meet all you needs, but will be much harder to find in your price range.

Please NOT matching black tie at an outdoor, day-time wedding.

Aluan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsinge50
I am a little worried about wrinkling. I think it would be ok at the ceremony and for photographs right after the ceremony but after that, it will look wrinkly. I don't mind this look, but it might be lost on the inlaw family--her mother has bad taste and has been fighting hard for the matching tuxedo look and all that. The fiancee and I both like the look of linen, but would wrinkling be a problem? Would a linen blend help this, do you think? Should I go with a poplin or silk? I really like how linen looks
Um, linen is supposed to wrinkle. Of course it'll look wrinkly. You might need to ask yourself if wrinkling is a problem for you. If wrinkling is a problem for you, you might try a linen blend. A cream linen suit would look quite nice, I think. I'm planning to get one soon myself.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I would like to go with linen, but I don't think I can swing it with the rest of the people. I know it's supposed to wrinkle, and I like it, but I can only begin to imagine the response from the two mothers.

Anyway, I'm now leaning towards this:

http://www.indochino.com/product/Lig...iece_Suit.html

I feel like it will be too hot with the vest, but the fiancee really likes them. Anyway, if it's hot that day, I will go without, it looks like it will work either way.

I know Indochino, and the cheaper MTM have mixed reviews. But there are no decent men's stores in my town, and I only have access to good ones with potential sales very rarely, so this seems like good value. I'm limited to pretty much only Mens Wearhouse here.

So, do you think I could pull off a three piece suit? Is it appropriate for this occasion, do you think?

thanks all.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsinge50
I don't mind this look, but it might be lost on the inlaw family--her mother has bad taste and has been fighting hard for the matching tuxedo look and all that.

The fiancee and I both like the look of linen, but would wrinkling be a problem? ...

Who's getting married? You, or her mother?
teacha.gif
devil.gif

If your fiancee was against the linen look then you'd be barking up anther tree altogether, but if you and she are on the same page about it, then the relatives are just going to have to like it or lump it.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, it's your wife's day. You're an accessory at best. So do whatever she wants.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
actually, it's your wife's day. You're an accessory at best. So do whatever she wants.

Don't listen to him, it's just as much your day as it is your fiances.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you aren't willing to tear asunder heaven and hell to make sure the wedding is the way you want it, then you it's going to be the way she wants it.

Dburr

Reaction score
If you go with that suit, I sure hope it fits you better than that model.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
Who's getting married? You, or her mother?
teacha.gif
devil.gif

If your fiancee was against the linen look then you'd be barking up anther tree altogether, but if you and she are on the same page about it, then the relatives are just going to have to like it or lump it.

Originally Posted by N.N.O.P
agree with doc4, it's your day.

I feel this way, but it's not worth it to me to cause all this trouble. I'm comfortable in a light gray suit, another thing I've always wanted but I've never worn. Her dad's footing the bill (traditional type guy) for the ceremony and reception, so I'll work with her family.

she trusts my judgment, so she'd be alright with most anything I picked.

Originally Posted by pdial
Don't listen to him, it's just as much your day as it is your fiances.

If you aren't willing to tear asunder heaven and hell to make sure the wedding is the way you want it, then you it's going to be the way she wants it.

Originally Posted by Dburr
If you go with that suit, I sure hope it fits you better than that model.

Yeah, I like their suits well enough, but they look like **** on the models.

thanks for all the input.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at a hot and humid wedding in June. I wore a navy linen/cotton blend suit. It was rather trim and well tailored. I think the color and the tailoring minimized the wrinkling. Had it been a baggy cut, it no doubt would have shown a lot more wrinkles.

The groom wore a natural colored suit in linen, wool and silk blend that didn't wrinkle at all. It was very fitted as well. I think the blend is the real key here. I have had silk and linen blend jackets that resisted wrinkles very well.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I think the color and the tailoring minimized the wrinkling. Had it been a baggy cut, it no doubt would have shown a lot more wrinkles.

That's the least logical post I've ever heard. A closer cut does not avoid wrinkling--to the contrary, it makes it more likely--and I can't imagine why navy dye would make linen wrinkle-resistant.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monsieurcharlemagne