• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light weight, reasonably powerful Mac alternative?

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I would think a ThinkPad X series would be sufficient for what you're doing.

+1

Bulletproof and fast, based on decent configuration

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Ti.../dp/B002QPY6IE it does not weigh 9lbs, by the way. That is it's shipping weight. It's a 3.5lb laptop.
aceraspiretimelineas381.jpg
Of course, it doesn't come with a dvd drive if you need one.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Asus

+1, though I imagine harder to service in US, best buy only carry very limited Asus model, everything else is online.

xhine23

Reaction score
I'd suggest not to buy asus from bestbuy unless you like the model they usually have in their stores. I've used newegg.com and excaliburpc.com successfully and asus covers their 2year warrant out the box.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
This sounds like a good fit for you: Samsung NC20 (rave review from Wired mag).]
Battery life is three hours, 40 minutes (22 percent longer than the S10) and weight is just 3.3 pounds, comparable to the Asus Eee PC 1000H. All that and you get a 12.1-inch LCD, too, instead of the usual 10.2-inch netbook display.
It's like the developmentally challenged little brother to the Acer I posted above. Disappointing battery life.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Thank you all yet again for the additional suggestions. I tried a Samsung NC20 with one of the programs I use a bit. It ran, but slower than I would like.

Tokyo Slim - I almost picked up the Acer Timeline, but I needed a new computer pre-Windows 7, hence ending up with the current MBP.

Asus - has a pretty good reputation in the area yet only a limited range is locally available at the moment.

The Thinkpad looks more and more tempting...

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Acer netbooks and find it unusable.

Your Mac sounds like it has 10.6, the sole purpose of that OS is to **** over long time Mac developers as hard as possible. If you can go back to 10.5 (or even better 10.4) your Mac will work properly.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I have one of the Acer netbooks and find it unusable.

Your Mac sounds like it has 10.6, the sole purpose of that OS is to **** over long time Mac developers as hard as possible. If you can go back to 10.5 (or even better 10.4) your Mac will work properly.

Expand on that please.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Expand on that please.

Apple are very abusive to developers, most of whom still line up to eat whatever **** Apple shovels to them. There is no actual rational reason for Apple's destruction of Carbon other than an ideology that attempts to prove that NeXT wasn't an utter failure.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
It's like the developmentally challenged little brother to the Acer I posted above. Disappointing battery life.

You forgot to mention that it's also $300 cheaper. Besides, I've never liked Acer products so it'd be a slim (no pun intended) chance for me to recommend one.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Apple are very abusive to developers, most of whom still line up to eat whatever **** Apple shovels to them. There is no actual rational reason for Apple's destruction of Carbon other than an ideology that attempts to prove that NeXT wasn't an utter failure.

I don't know what that means.
confused.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You forgot to mention that it's also $300 cheaper. Besides, I've never liked Acer products so it'd be a slim (no pun intended) chance for me to recommend one.

I also didn't mention that It's a netbook. Since when are they a "reasonably powerful macbook alternative"? Yes, most netbooks are cheaper than most laptops. This I will readily admit.

Your personal preferences aside, Acer, to the best of my knowledge, is fairly highly rated as far as quality and support goes. It's also currently one of the best price/performance ratio laptops out there.

I've seen it online for less than $700.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads