• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lexus Multi shield protection plan - Help!

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new 2008 RX400h. Thinking about one of the upsells they promoted in the finance manager office. Multi shield protection program for 5 years, around $800.

Includes application of paint sealant and protectant as well as interior leather protectant. Includes annual re-application.

Includes minor dent & ding repair - can be done any time for non paint dings.

Windshield replacement.

All work done by the lexus service department at the dealer I purchased.

Any thoughts?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm skeptical about all of those sealants and protectants. It just seems to me that you could accomplish the same thing with good wax and leather conditioner.

The minor dent and ding repair would be attractive to me, especially if it covers stuff lie dings from people who hit you with their doors in a parking lot. Is there a deductible or anything? This seems like an OK deal if there's no deductible and you actually use it for every little ding and dent.

Doesn't auto insurance cover a replacement windshield with no deductible? I've never had to do it, but my understanding is that they'll do it once a year for free (may vary by state as well).

It wouldn't be very attractive to me if I had to have the work done at the same dealership - what if you move?

Is the warranty transferable if you sell the car?

On the whole, it doesn't seem all that attractive to me. The only particular benefit seems to be the ding repair, and whether you'll use it enough to be worth $800 seems iffy to me.

PS I'm always skeptical about dealer add-ons, so I'm admittedly starting from a biased position

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks.... yes, the dent & ding protection is by far the most attractive feature. especially considering i will be driving mostly around nyc with some tight parking spots.

anyone have any idea what the dent & ding repair costs on a one-off basis?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Figure about $100 per ding from one of those paintless dent repair places.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Figure about $100 per ding from one of those paintless dent repair places.

That's a rip off/if you're paying top dollar retail

Join a car forum, and there will be group rates, etc. that will be more like $20-25 a ding for the same quality service

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than likely if they're offering it to you, that means it's in their best interest, and not yours.

The "paint sealant" is a joke. The dings would be the only appealing thing, but for $800 upfront I would not even consider it. I do not park near any other cars, it's not that hard to avoid dings.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the differing opinions really rely a lot on where people are driving. Having had my old car in the nyc metro area for the last 3 years, the small scratches & dings are inevitable - "road rash".

I guess I have pretty much talked myself into getting it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm a Lexus owner and experienced detailer. These programs are pure profit for the dealer. Don't do it.

The best sealant on the market is Zaino and it only lasts 6 months-there is no technology yet for a 5 year sealant. You are better off saving the money and having an experienced detailer clean you car every 4-6 months. Windshield replacement is often covered by your insurance carrier for a small deductible.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I'm a Lexus owner and experienced detailer. These programs are pure profit for the dealer. Don't do it.

The best sealant on the market is Zaino and it only lasts 6 months-there is no technology yet for a 5 year sealant. You are better off saving the money and having an experienced detailer clean you car every 4-6 months. Windshield replacement is often covered by your insurance carrier for a small deductible.

Thanks - any thoughts on how much use of the ding repair will make it worthwhile?

The paint sealant / interior conditioner will be re-applied each each year under the plan.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Thanks - any thoughts on how much use of the ding repair will make it worthwhile?

The paint sealant / interior conditioner will be re-applied each each year under the plan.

1. Annual sealant treatments is not frequent enough for proper paint maintenance. You need every 6 months minimum.

2. I park near end spots which cuts down on dings a lot but that is a fairly cheap repair anyway, figure $60-80 a visit.

turboman808

Reaction score
Thats a tough call. Me personally I wouldn't get it. I know dam good and well 90% of the so called professional detailers haven't got a clue.

I don't see how they could make this profitable without cutting corners. I charge about $300 when I detail one of my friends exotic cars. I treat it as I would my own cars.

I live right next to a so called professional shop. I just have to walk over with someone and point out all the flaws they have put into the paint and how flawless my cars come out and they are more then happy to pay the $300.

Most consumers don't know a good or bad job. Once you point out what they are looking at they get it right away. Next they tell you how they notice just how bad most peoples cars are after you point out what you are looking for.

There is a guy who owns some building near me with a bentley that his driver cleans for him. It looks so bad and the guy won't let me detail it. It hurt my eyes everytime I see just how bad his paint is damaged.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I was looking at a GS 350 awd demo yesterday and it had this feature. The salesman claimed it would avoid rocks and chips and is a necessity for any car. Being a demo, it would have been included at no cost; however, I would never go out of my way to purcahse this. It even looks stupid on the car. It is a clear film applied to the front end (above grille and lights), however it is noticable. IMO biggest waste of money...ever.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I was looking at a GS 350 awd demo yesterday and it had this feature. The salesman claimed it would avoid rocks and chips and is a necessity for any car. Being a demo, it would have been included at no cost; however, I would never go out of my way to purcahse this. It even looks stupid on the car. It is a clear film applied to the front end (above grille and lights), however it is noticable. IMO biggest waste of money...ever.

He was lying; only 3M clearbras and the like protect against stone chips.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
He was lying; only 3M clearbras and the like protect against stone chips.

It looked like a bra on the vehicle; it was hideous, but it was also transparent. I don't know if it was 3M or not, but I do know he claimed it was an 800 addition if I were to have it installed on a new model. I told him, in these exact words, "why the hell would I pay 800 for that??:confsued:".

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the clearbra either, for multiple reasons. Wax can build up around the edges, it can fade over time, it's fairly visible on darker colored paint, and for the price some people charge for the clearbra you could have the entire front bumper repainted if you really had that many stone chips.

It's really not hard...do not ride close to cars in front of you. This is how you get stone chips. Stay back from people on the highway. Don't park next to other cars, you will never have a door ding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads