• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

catwood1

Reaction score
This might be heresy to some, but what do you use to sweeten your coffee? I can't drink coffee black. I use 5-6 grams of raw sugar or coconut sugar. I recently met with a nutritionist who wants me to cut sugars. I tried monk fruit, but it tasted like I watered down the coffee. Maple extract was also suggested.

Any other suggestions for low sugar sweeteners?

Get a better nutritionist. ;)

Although aside from that, I drink coffee in a number of ways. Pour overs black. Cold brew black. Espresso + Steamed milk in various amounts of milk, and cool milky sweet things. Some cool drinks include:

Low milk iced lattee + Citrus peel simple syrup shaken. (Stolen from intelligencia)

3oz cold brew + 2oz tonic water, over 1 big ice cube ideally made from cold brewed cascara, but I'm lazy and I just make mixed berry tea, then make the ice out of that. Still fabulous.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Any other suggestions for low sugar sweeteners?

Sounds like you're not looking for artificial sweeteners? I only use sweetener in iced coffee, but I just use Splenda. Works fine for me. Stevia tastes weird in coffee for me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on coffee from Nepal? Barrington Coffee has some but there doesn't seem to be much other info online, or many people roasting it which isn't that surprising considering it's a small/nascent industry.

Speaking of Barrington, I just had probably the greatest cup of coffee I've ever made with their Aricha Yirgacheffe.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on coffee from Nepal? Barrington Coffee has some but there doesn't seem to be much other info online, or many people roasting it which isn't that surprising considering it's a small/nascent industry.

Speaking of Barrington, I just had probably the greatest cup of coffee I've ever made with their Aricha Yirgacheffe.

This is the first I've seen a US specialty roaster sourcing coffee from Nepal. I can't speak in too much detail, but my gut is that like most Asian coffees, the quality probably isn't stellar. This is usually driven way more by farming practices than by inherent climate issues. On the one hand that means that quality can be improved, but on the other hand, tends to trap a region with a chicken/egg dilemma. If quality isn't great, specialty importers don't invest in a region. If specialty importers don't invest in a region, there's not a lot of incentive for producers to improve quality. It usually ends up taking a gutsy importer or roaster to break this cycle.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad you enjoyed their Aricha! If you have a chance, their Ethiopian Hachira was stellar this year as was their Nigusse Lemma and Hambela (both also Ethiopian). Their Kintamani from Bali this past season was also amazing, and I've had very good east Indian coffees from them. It's really hard to go wrong with them, and their Nepal is next on my list.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My setup at work including my new toy in the middle.

Also, man, I got the first grind waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong. It's absurdly bitter.
20170510_074544.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm at a 9 and it's still a bit too much. Unsure if that's just the product of my new beans though which are quite dark...much more so than I thought they'd be. Going with the Brazilian now. The Malabar is odd. It looks like there's a medium and a darker roast mixed together. The medium is also quite oily.
20170511_081112.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're tasting your new beans more than the grinder setting for the bitterness. I have mine on 12 for Aeropress, and I think it's not very bitter at all.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tried the coffee soda at Steadfast in nashville.

They take their flash chilled coffee (which itself is a pretty nice cold-brew equivalent), add some demerara and citric acid to stabilize the flavor, and then carbonate it.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Wouldn't be my go-to hot weather coffee order (I'd stick to something unsweetened like the plain flash chilled brew), but I'd totally take it over a Coke in many instances.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone in DC got any feedback on roasters? Going to try for Zeke's (a bit out the way).

Compass, Swing's and a few others whose names escape me are on my list. Filter is really good but I prefer roasters.

When I hit up Arlington (a rather inappropriate description for Memorial Day Weekend) I was thinking either Mayorga or Rappahannok.

marvin100

Reaction score
Anyone in or visiting Portland should try Tanager coffee. Served at Arbor Lodge and Cathedral. The Colombias are their main beans, but I had a Burundi that was amazing. Very strong roast game.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, so the Monticello Sunrise made the best cup of cold brew I've ever had. All those supposedly wonderful things that are supposed to happen with cold brew came true and more when I had it at the shop. Haven't decided if I will regular or cold brew that. Haven't tried the others for CJs but they were like $2.50 each so why not.

The Myanmar coffee: wow, man. It's just so damn good. It's got that sweetness from an Ethiopian with that syrupy thickness you get in Southeast Asian coffees but its also got a lot of delicate characteristics like a good Central American. I really can't quite describe it but it's like all three regions got together and decided to come together like this.

Maple syrup is the first aroma and it's a strong one. I was on the phone when I took the first sip and I **** you not my brain went "this French toast is going to be good". It's a sweet viscous cup, can't remember the flavors but holy **** I just want more and more of it. When I make my cup tomorrow I'll be sure to try and take note.

I have found what seems to be a full-proof inverted Aeropress brew: 16 grams of coffee on whatever my Encore is at. Thirty-two grams of water off the boil for 30 seconds so everything is like a sludge (I have to keep stirring it during that time). Over 60 seconds I fill up the chamber, stir 10 times then invert. Usually takes about 30 seconds to press out.

Ronald Mckim

Reaction score
Do you guys know that Coffee contains lots of antioxidants (it's the biggest source of antioxidants in an average Western diet!) that help the body fight chemicals called “free radicals.” As a result, coffee drinkers are at a lower risk of diseases such as Parkinson’s Disease, Type II Diabetes, and Heart Disease. Here’s the thing, though: coffee drinkers are also more likely to have unhealthy habits such as smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol heavily, and eating red meat, so the study shown above has been adjusted to show what could happen if these other factors weren’t in effect.
Thus, Coffee can help you live a longer and healthier life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads