• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had much better Sumatras than I have PNG to be honest. They all tend to do better as a Vienna roast. The Third wave joints don't like them that much because they tend to roast much lighter and they don't shine with their roast profiles also they tend not to show color changes while roasting so it isn't easy to dial them in by sight alone (I've only heard this anecdotally, I've never seen it done myself). I really like the aged sumatra that Peets puts out and Sulawesi actually. Kaladi makes an incredible Sumatra as well.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Want a better handgrinder and can't find an available Feldgrind. Any recommendations for an upgrade from a Hario Skerton? I don't particularly want an electric one

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why do you like hand grinders? I found that they take too long. Also, I was originally using one to keep the noise down in the office, but it actually bothered people more because of how long it took. Coworkers were happy when I brought in my virtuoso and the duration of grinding was shorter. I'm just a good open office mate :embar:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I do like about the Handground model is the vertical crank. Makes it so much easier to use.

Looking at that, the ergonomics don't seem so great. Holding onto the thing without it twisting around and getting your fingers jammed between the body and the handle seems like it could be a challenge, especially if you have big hands.

Much easier and more natural to just hold a simple non-bevel-gear design braced against your body at about a 45° angle. Plus ceramic burrs are pretty crappy in my experience compared to good steel ones.

Mind you, it's good to have options, and for 80 bux, it doesn't look too bad.

Why do you like hand grinders? I found that they take too long. Also, I was originally using one to keep the noise down in the office, but it actually bothered people more because of how long it took. Coworkers were happy when I brought in my virtuoso and the duration of grinding was shorter. I'm just a good open office mate :embar:

Zero grind retention, reliability, portability, sub-sleeping-Mrs.-B-bothering noise level and better-than-consumer-grade-electric grind quality are why I'm making my non-espresso brews on a manual mill these days.

The Lido 3 is fast enough that it negates the time issue for me. Right now, I also have the Feldgrind and MK3 Comandante in the house, both of which are much slower — I'm finding that they take over double or even triple the time to go through a given mass at the same fineness. The speed difference is dramatic.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The usual suspects have been mentioned already: OE, Feldgrind (best damn grinder I've ever used!), and Commandante. Speaking of ergonomics, Kinu is a new German brand, and mine is in the order queue for the next batch, has a small thumbrest that helps with the horizontal grinding motion. What I've found with hand grinders is that the first couple of times, it's difficult, then you get stronger, and it gets easier. The Feldgrind is also very quiet, but if you're brewing more than a cup, the OE is better as it grinds much faster (at least 2x, closer to 3x in my experience).

Another one if you feel spendy: http://lynweber.com/product/hg-1/

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that own both a Feldgrind and a LIDO 3, how do you set them for same grind size?

For example, I was quickly able to dial in the LIDO sweet spot as 8-8.5 (from zero) for Aeropress and 10-11 for Kone (Chemex). I can't for the life of me find equivalent settings on the Feldgrind. Thoughts?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use 9 on my Lido, and 1.11 on the Feldgrind, both on the Aeropress with Kaffeologie S filter. That's finer on the FG for sure, but I find that I can go much finer on the FG before the bad overextraction tastes come out. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess perhaps a more uniform grind size?

I also have an unproven theory on coffee that's not as fresh: you can get more life out of them if grind them even finer, basically causing more extraction. But you need a pretty uniform grinder so you don't get the bad overextraction notes.

BTW, does your Lido's handle and shaft have slight vertical play? That is, you can pull it up about maybe half a centimeter? I've disassembled mine, and it doesn't look like anything is out of whack, so I'm assuming this is normal. The concern is that the shaft is connected to the bottom burr, and this may cause that burr to move up and down during grinding?

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have some vertical play in the handle of my Lido. I never noticed until you asked.

I find +2 too find on my Feldgrind. I couldn't drink 1.11.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads