• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

guccihomme

Reaction score
Gentlemen, what's a good $20/lbs coffee that has sweetness from the roast but isn't highly acidic or powerful. Is sweetness related to darkness of roast? I've picked French for sweetness. Italian roast turns bitter. I have an acidic stomach which may be why I don't gel with some who love ultra strong coffee.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, what's a good $20/lbs coffee that has sweetness from the roast but isn't highly acidic or powerful. Is sweetness related to darkness of roast? I've picked French for sweetness. Italian roast turns bitter. I have an acidic stomach which may be why I don't gel with some who love ultra strong coffee.

If you are near the city just go check out Intelligentsia, Wormhole, Gaslight, Bow Truss, Dark Matter, or Asado.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It depends on a few factors, sweetness could be from roast, but it could be terroir as well. African coffees have a sweetness to them, and generally medium acidity. Beans grown in Indonesia have very little amounts of acidity and are generally earthier, but with the right roast can have a sweetness coming from the caramelized sugars.

I have an overly acidic stomach as well, but I like strong coffee. Again, it depends on what your definition of strong is. Lighter roasts have more acidity and caffeine than darker roasts in general. I prefer medium to dark roasts for both their taste and effect on my stomach.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a look at this Counter Culture Baroida from Papua New Guinea. It is very light, especially for a coffee from this region. It has good qualities for sure, but imo would be better if it was roasted to Full City, even City+. This isn't even City, probably a bit before it.

guccihomme

Reaction score
^ I've never had coffee that light in roast. It looks lighter than a breakfast light roast. I'm interested in sweetness sans additives. My rule was darker roasts are sweater, minus the acidic brews. I thought acidity may indicate cheaper beans.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Acidity has to do with where the beans are from and level of roast. Acidity diminishes with darker roasts. Also, Latin American beans are generally the brightest in terms of acidity.

guccihomme

Reaction score

Acidity has to do with where the beans are from and level of roast. Acidity diminishes with darker roasts. Also, Latin American beans are generally the brightest in terms of acidity.

Thanks! I will try an African bean roasted to medium. I will avoid Latin America. I'm not into highly earthy fragrance. I like a sweet smell. I like caffeine. I hate acidity.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You'd probably like Peet's African coffees as they are the darkest Africans I have come across (the beans not the people). Try the hip third wave places too, you might like them, but I find little variety between many of them these days.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think an Indonesian coffee may suit guccihomme too. Peet's has their Sumatra Batak on sale right now. I enjoyed it the last time they offered that coffee. Stuff from the Toarco farm in that area is also excellent, and is offered by several roasters.

OmniscientCause, go with a manual grinder. The powered ones are pretty noisy. Any of the ones you name will be fine, though none are great at coarse sizes, except for the OE. I don't think that's particularly important given the kind of brewing coarse grinding normally goes with.

I have the Porlex and the Hario Mini, but be careful when you clean either, as the ceramic burrs are pretty fragile and will break if they drop out of the grinder. (Ask me how I know.)

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Somebody mentioned their Handybrew was clogging up. I just experienced this. I didn't change anything that I do, but the coffee I used was the lightest roast I have used in it thus far and it was definitely struggling to filter. Maybe because lighter beans are harder than has something to do with it? I suspect I am going to try to grind a bit coarser.

At any rate this Baroida is very good on the Handybrew, much better than standard drip at Everyman. They don't get much love, but I love Indo coffees.

I just emailed the guys at Sweet Maria's about returning mine and exchanging for a Bonavita immersion cone. Can't stand the clogging and messy cleanup with the Handybrew.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Bonavita is a no brainer. Not very fussy about grind size. Not demanding of your pouring technique.consistent brew

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Bonavita is a no brainer. Not very fussy about grind size. Not demanding of your pouring technique.consistent brew

Yeah, I like my Clever, but not crazy about the coffee being brewed on hot plastic. Plus, the thing leaks the more you use it.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I'm getting one instead of another Clever.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a sweet Maria's YouTube video comparing the bonavita, hario and clever, I think.

They preferred the bonavita

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads