• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crossland Coffee CC1 Espresso Machine and the Breville Dual Boiler get good reviews and priced better.

Get a separate, decent grinder that will produce a proper grind for your needs/likes. The grind quality has the most direct influence on the taste/quality of the coffee your machine will make.

Last edited:

joshuadowen

Reaction score
I'm with everyone on the "just get a Nespresso" here. Home espresso machines are terrible, expensive, and require a lot of maintenance. If you want to drink espresso drinks, I'd recommend finding a local cafe you like. If you absolutely must do it at home, Nespresso is the best option.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nespresso with a separate milk foamer thing will be cheaper and much better than any of the one-touch machines, but you have to do some extra work.

Thanks. Any problem with using Delonghi?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's kind of a trendy thing to process the same bean three different ways. Honey is a hybrid of wet and dry, said to give the best of both worlds. I've had good and bad examples of each of the processes, and which one you use depends on many other factors, many of which have nothing to do with taste. For example, wet-process is very water-intensive, and can't be used in places with little water. Same with drying processes --- some work better in areas with lots of rainfall and others in places with very little moisture. I suspect the 3rd wave hipsters are trying to use the milling process as another differentiation factor for no good reason.

I would honestly prefer more information over less. The processing does make a big difference in final flavor.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also from what I understand fermentation can be both wet and dry. Basically they introduce microbes to the coffee flesh which breaks down the pulp making it easier separate from the beans. You can use a lot of water or just the water in the cherries. There is also a wet processing you can do with machine that doesn't use fermentation to separate the pulp but instead the pulp is mechanically scrubbed.

Honey processing is when they remove the flesh mechanically but the mucilage is left on and then dried and then it's washed off

But there's not enough sugars left after removing the pulp for fermentation from what I understand

joshuadowen

Reaction score
I would honestly prefer more information over less. The processing does make a big difference in final flavor.

The reality is that the roaster may have given you as much information as they had. A lot of specialty coffee comes from very small farms, and goes through many, many hands before it ends up in a bag/cup at your local cafe. Sometimes a lot of information travels along with the coffee, and sometimes it doesn't. Most good specialty roasters will only buy coffee where they at least know country of origin, varietal, and process, but that's often as much information as they can get. Processing method is particularly complicated. AY is oversimplifying a bit when he says that honey processing is a hybrid of wet and dry processing. It's better to think of processing as a spectrum more than as one of a few different methods. To process coffee beans for roasting, they must be dried and the fruit flesh must be removed. At one end of the spectrum is dry or natural processing, where the whole fruit is dried and then the flesh is removed. At the other end of the spectrum is wet processing, where the flesh is fully removed and then the bean is dried. In between, one can remove some flesh and then dry and then remove the rest. This is obviously an imprecise classification. Some farmers will leave a lot of flesh on and dry, others will leave just a small amount on and dry. Western importers have attempted to classify the amounts of flesh left on during drying, and honey processing is one of these classifications, as are semi-washed, and semi-natural. All of these will have some of the characteristics of dry/natural processing, but probably less intensely so.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tried Bow Truss once and the shot was soooo bright and acidic, could barely drink it. Didn't go back

I think that was the problem I had with the coffees I didn't care for from them--but I also have tried more of their beans at home rather than in the shop.

If I am out of beans, their shop is a perfect distance for a morning jog, with a stop to pick up a half pound of whatever was roasted most recently and bring it home to my aeropress.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think they should try pouring honey all over the cherries, adding yeast and let the yeast eat the sugar and change it to alcohol, then wet process, then add the coffee cherry alcohol to a cup of coffee. That might be the best thing I have ever heard of.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm with everyone on the "just get a Nespresso" here. Home espresso machines are terrible, expensive, and require a lot of maintenance. If you want to drink espresso drinks, I'd recommend finding a local cafe you like. If you absolutely must do it at home, Nespresso is the best option. 

What type of equipment are you referring to by "home espresso machines"?

Surprised by this,
Nespresso is the best option.
. Have sampled a bunch, probably not all of the nespresso capsules and my personal conclusion is it tastes like instant coffee. I think, don't know for a fact, that they roast the same way as instant coffee is made. Use high pressure and extreme heat to bring the coffee back to life. This is just my perception from what I taste, no facts to back it up.

I think they should try pouring honey all over the cherries, adding yeast and let the yeast eat the sugar and change it to alcohol, then wet process, then add the coffee cherry alcohol to a cup of coffee. That might be the best thing I have ever heard of.

You might like Dark Matter coffees that are aged in Bourbon barrels. Bit heavy, overpowering bourbon tastes come out first, coffee flavors next

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I mean, really? Who'd use something like that?
I'm probably just having a hard time imagining that the result will be enjoyable. It also seems awfully complicated for something you carry when you go hiking, or stay in a hotel, or whatever. You need fresh espresso beans, a good grinder, access to a microwave/kettle, probably a scale, .. I'd rather go for a Handpresso or whatever it's called.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd rather grind the beans between rocks, make a fire, heat up some water and throw in the grinds and drink. The two of you go way too far with your "exact science" coffee making.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IuliaBartcovschi