• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I highly recommend, for mail order, House Of Coffee Beans in Houston. They are very inexpensive, relatively speaking, and their roast is not too dark but they do NOT go the acidic route. I hate overly acidic coffees and actually prefer Blue Bottle over the other roasters here in the Bay Area. That being said, House of Coffee Beans hits that perfect sweet spot of highlighting the specific coffee and not letting it be too acidic.

Their Charlie's Blend, for a blended coffee, is excellent.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I highly recommend, for mail order, House Of Coffee Beans in Houston. They are very inexpensive, relatively speaking, and their roast is not too dark but they do NOT go the acidic route. I hate overly acidic coffees and actually prefer Blue Bottle over the other roasters here in the Bay Area. That being said, House of Coffee Beans hits that perfect sweet spot of highlighting the specific coffee and not letting it be too acidic.

Those prices are good, especially considering they are for full pound bags. What do they charge to ship?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those prices are good, especially considering they are for full pound bags. What do they charge to ship?

Add something to your cart. Go to Paypal checkout. Get delivery fee quote. Don't submit the order. ... Profit. :)

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know it's not much.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Aeropress showed up in the mail today.

What have I been missing!?! That first cup was tasty, and I barely skimmed the directions. So simple, so cheap, and so delicious!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My Aeropress showed up in the mail today.

What have I been missing!?! That first cup was tasty, and I barely skimmed the directions. So simple, so cheap, and so delicious!

What had you used previously?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What had you used previously?

I normally use either pour over drip or French press. I like the flavor better with the Aeropress. I've tried light and dark roasts so far.

mendenhall21

Reaction score
To have a delicious coffee, it is absolutely necessary to have a good grinder but recently, my husband bought a Gaggia Evolution espresso machine from Daily Cuppa Coffee. It is pod compatible and to my surprise it produces some amazing coffee.. Did not expect it.. but definitely worth it for the price it is for :)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made my first iced coffee of the year today: my usual method of steeping in a preheated insulated container for 3 minutes, and then pouring it through a paper filter onto ice. 25 g of coffee (Peet's Sidamo), 200 g boiling water to steep, poured over 130 g of ice.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made my first iced coffee of the year today: my usual method of steeping in a preheated insulated container for 3 minutes, and then pouring it through a paper filter onto ice. 25 g of coffee (Peet's Sidamo), 200 g boiling water to steep, poured over 130 g of ice.

lol. I've actually thought about cold brew a few hours ago. I've never had iced coffee. Thanks for the recipe. Medium roast?

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol. I've actually thought about cold brew a few hours ago. I've never had iced coffee. Thanks for the recipe. Medium roast?

Dark roast actually. There are two main methods for iced coffee: what I just did, which some people call Japanese-style iced coffee, and the cold-brew method where you steep in a fridge overnight with some really high brew ratio and cold water throughout. In either case, you should account for the water in the ice, and I like a 60/40 hot water:ice ratio, so the brew ratio still comes out right. Since you're extracting with less water, you may have to experiment to find the right timing and grind size.

The argument for brewing hot (like mine) is that you extract all of the normal coffee flavors. One disadvantage is that most of the ice melts during the filtering, so you don't get a really cold drink.

Barismo has a good survey of all the different methods:

http://blog.barismo.com/2011/08/iced-coffee.html

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads