• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 078 is the turbo/ghost burr model.
Had a Smart Grinder Pro that stopped working and being replaced. Using a Mazzer Mini until the Timemore arrives.
Have a hand grinder but the burrs are locked and not sure how to deal with it.
Using a V60, Origami, OreaV3 and a Hario Switch.
Orea and Origami get used the most and learning to pair the brewing device to the bean. If I don't like what's in the cup I try another brewer. Brewer becomes one more variable to negotiate.
The bottomless rabbit hole!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the locked grinder, have you tried backing out the grind size, and removing the rotating burr? Sometimes if there's a stone in the beans (rare but not impossible), that could lock the burrs.

How does the Mazzer work for filter brew? It looks like it would be better for espresso.

Are you using good water as well? I've settled on Perfect Water, but 3rd Wave is good too though their mix tends to get clumpy which is annoying.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't committed any time/attention to fixing the locked grinder. Wondering if the alignment has been effected or changed.
The mini is just ok for brewing.
When I read about water my eyes glaze over and wish a had the scientific gene to sort it out.
I was adding minerals to RO water. Was out of water and had Costco purified water bottles here and used it.
No mineral residue building up in the kettle so kept using it.
Think it's worth looking into using other water and see the effect on taste.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RO is not bad, but I think the mineralization really helps bring out the coffee flavors more. The weird thing about mineralization is that you don't need it during brewing: it's just as effective added to the coffee after the brew! But you need different dispensers and concentrates for that instead of the Perfect Water/3rd wave packets which are designed for making 1 gallon of water at a time. I think it's worth trying one of the those two companies, and they make it really easy: just add the contents of the packet to 1 gallon of water.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the flair 58 plus lever machine. Pulling better shots in the first week than the last 20 years on pump machines (Currently have a Profitec dual boiler). Workflow is simple, water temp is surprisingly perfect using off the boil pours. Highly recommend it if you don't care about milk drinks.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Affogato means drowned, but that one looks more like an espresso hot tub. I'd still eat it though. A nice touch a local coffee shop adds is to sprinkle some espresso grounds over the ice cream of the affogato.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can find pizza too...

The only thing I want to see in Atlanta is the board saying my connecting flight is on time.

Since Georgia is one of the twelve states I haven’t been to yet, I at least want to see the state line sign before I make a u-turn.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here a user of the glorious Coffeemaster C30. I bought one several years ago and have never though of going back to a modern coffee maker.

s-l300.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone tried sous vide coffee to form cold brew concentrate?

I think I'll give it a try just for the hell of it next time I have the sous vide setup out--just toss the coffee in after dinner.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's what the freezer is for! :)
Thanks for giving me something else to explore.
20230529_110443.jpg

There is a legendary super market in atlanta. You can tell that gourmet means something different now than when they started. Anyway they roast their own beans and have absurd basically wholesale prices on things. But in the 80s it was great tk be able to buy this stuff. Now.....the Jamaican despite being a medium tasted like nothing except the roast. The Ethiopian was nice but a touch top roasty. Its funny because I've bought their kona and the roast is a good backbone to the floral notes.
20230528_070507.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads