• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's crank out 100,000 pullups this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
33355 + 125 wide overhand lat grip ***** = 33480

Didn't max but did 40, 30, 30, 25. I think I was tired from yesterday. Just got my bcaa in too.

janky fish

Reaction score

Jesus jet, nice.
easy day for me yesterday, just 25 after a 5 mile run.

+500 (past few days) = 35005

What are the benefits of a wide grip?

I usually go shoulder width and pull all the way until my chest touches the bar. I find the longer ROM makes them more difficult, for me at lest, than going wide grip and just pulling until my chin passes the bar.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+ 25 = 35030

35030 + 101 = 35131

I find that the closer the arms are together, the more muscles you can get activated, especially in the chest, and they are, at least for me, a lot easier. The widegrips, which is what I do, are by far the toughest for me. Of course, bodies vary considerably, and what is easy for me, maybe hard for someone else, and vice versa.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
all of them are easy for me

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
35171 + 150 = 35321

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
30 for me today, mixed it up...

Wide grip gets my lats. Much harder for me than closer grip. But honestly they're all pretty hard as it put lots of pressure on my surgically repaired right forearm...2 plates and 12 screws hold it in place, and it kills sometimes.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

30 for me today, mixed it up...
Wide grip gets my lats. Much harder for me than closer grip. But honestly they're all pretty hard as it put lots of pressure on my surgically repaired right forearm...2 plates and 12 screws hold it in place, and it kills sometimes.

35351 + 105 = 35456

NYR = only one solution - 1 armed pullups. I used to be able to do them - well, 3 of them, when I weighed about 25 lbs less and was actually underweight. Only on my strong (right) arm though, so you could be screwed. Saw one of the fighters do a pullup workout today, and remember 1) how weak I am compared to the modern athlete - within the decade, fighters got about a full weight category stronger, at the same size. Pullup to muscle up x 15. Sets after each set of another explosive exercise. 1 hour workout. At the end, saw him doing some 450 lb deadlifts, pretty much as a warmdown. This was a guy who probably walks around at 180 lbs, tops. Ugh... I need to be younger and stronger and faster and less injured.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

35351 + 105 = 35456
NYR = only one solution - 1 armed pullups. I used to be able to do them - well, 3 of them, when I weighed about 25 lbs less and was actually underweight. Only on my strong (right) arm though, so you could be screwed. Saw one of the fighters do a pullup workout today, and remember 1) how weak I am compared to the modern athlete - within the decade, fighters got about a full weight category stronger, at the same size. Pullup to muscle up x 15. Sets after each set of another explosive exercise. 1 hour workout. At the end, saw him doing some 450 lb deadlifts, pretty much as a warmdown. This was a guy who probably walks around at 180 lbs, tops. Ugh... I need to be younger and stronger and faster and less injured.

Thats life innit? I see these kids doing muscle ups like its nothing at the park by me, one after the other after the other. My bad arm won't even let me do one. I will be trying the one arm pull up though (which I also saw at my gym once) but with my weaker arm (my left) because my strong arms wouldn't be able to take it. We'll see how this goes...lol.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thats life innit? I see these kids doing muscle ups like its nothing at the park by me, one after the other after the other. My bad arm won't even let me do one. I will be trying the one arm pull up though (which I also saw at my gym once) but with my weaker arm (my left) because my strong arms wouldn't be able to take it. We'll see how this goes...lol.

We can pretend to have that old man strength though, an that J-O-B strength, though, honestly, the strength gained from writing on a chalkboard all day, or sitting behind a computer would probably put us somewhere in the bottom quintile of the population (i.e. those making middle to UMC salaries in NYC are only stronger than those who eat cheetos in a depression all day, and end up on Biggest Loser (or Fat Chef, which had to be the worse reality show concept either).

FWIW, though, a guy originally from our little fight gym here in Moscow, ID, is on the newest Ultimate Fighter show. He is not the smartest guy in the world, but he is definitely among the more forward looking, business savvy, educated, fighters, I know, competing at the highest level while actually owning a business. Won his first fight on Friday - Bristol Marunde. Tons of heart. Disciplined fighter. Good learner and good listener. Not a trash-talker. So, this town, and the surrounding area (the last TUF winner trains out of Spokane, about 1.5 hours from here), is actually full of some legitimately tough guys. And not "mean mugging, lots of scary tats, and big muscles, tough, either. Disciplined, fighting tough, which is much harder to be.

Muscle ups are tough, but it's really in the movement. Gymnasts do them with absolutely zero issues. It's a lot of upper body strength + core. Like most things, you start doing them, and you can continue. It's just a matter of getting your muscles (especially the small, stabilizing ones) to cooperate at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members