• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Zapasman, you have shoes made from lifeless leather. Corrected grain is lifeless, impotent, and plastic-like. If you truly need pub shoes, any pair made from waxed or oiled leather will serve you better. Even shell cordovan will be the horse's ass.

Not always.

Pin/scotch/whatever grain leathers are all corrected grain leathers.

The plastic like feeling is from leathers' top coat finish or shoe's finishing.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not always.

Pin/scotch/whatever grain leathers are all corrected grain leathers.

The plastic like feeling is from leathers' top coat finish or shoe's finishing.

hmm, that is what box calf means right? calf with no coat is called crust calf?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's some distinction between box calf and regular calf. I believe it has to do with the grain, or something, and traditionally it only came in black, but in general leathers have topcoats of some sort. Crust calf is just naked and the only topcoat is whatever wax polish you apply.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a few stories about why box is box, most of them are variations on black calfskin being boarded (which leaves a series of creases) twice at 90 degrees (giving you "boxes" of creases). Similar to the story of so called willow calf being boarded once, imparting a grain reminiscent of a willow tree.

Quite why black box calf was boarded twice, and brown willow only once, I have no idea. Perhaps it helped the dyes set, or something; maybe it showed that the tannery took an extra step in quality, and "box calf" became a shorthand term for the gold standard.

Or perhaps the bloke in the tannery who ran the black calf was just really short, and needed to stand on a box to reach the bench.

Last edited:

The Craftsman

Reaction score
The boarding of the skin makes the leather more supple and more pliable. Box calf also has a different tanning recipe and all tanneries that produce box calf have their own recipe for Box. The willow pattern, in theory, should give the skin more rigidity compared with box calf.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's a few stories about why box is box, most of them are variations on black calfskin being boarded (which leaves a series of creases) twice at 90 degrees (giving you "boxes" of creases). Similar to the story of so called willow calf being boarded once, imparting a grain reminiscent of a willow tree.

Quite why black box calf was boarded twice, and brown willow only once, I have no idea. Perhaps it helped the dyes set, or something; maybe it showed that the tannery took an extra step in quality, and "box calf" became a shorthand term for the gold standard.

Or perhaps the bloke in the tannery who ran the black calf was just really short, and needed to stand on a box to reach the bench.

Yeah, this has always been a puzzle to me. When I first got in the Trade I was shown "box" calf that had those creases...faint but definitely there.

But if you look at the Weinheimer box calf, for instance, I don't see any "boxing."

Doesn't seem much different to me than a good French calf except it only comes in black.

I sometimes wonder if anyone knows what box calf is and/or whether it isn't just a catch-all term.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is just a high quality chrome tan. I'm pretty sure it's truly lost its original meaning and now it is basically just "high quality calf".

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably safe to assume that there was a difference at some point, and the terms just carried on after the methods changed. Hermès will call any smooth calf box, while over here it's specifically black calf that the term is reserved for. Weinheimer/Freudenberg has never had any "boxing" as far as I'm aware - I think the term predates the use of German leather in the UK by a long, long way.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It is just a high quality chrome tan. I'm pretty sure it's truly lost its original meaning and now it is basically just "high quality calf".

Although usually ...from what I've seen...with an opaque finish.

shoefan

Reaction score
As DWF notes, the Weinheimer/Freudenberg box calf is certainly smooth.

This pair was made from the Weinheimer 'box calf.'

I have a small hide that I got from A&A Crack that Tony (?) Crack said was from the old Freudenberg tannery. It is a brown leather and has a decided grain. If/when I can remember, I'll take a pic of it and post it. Not certain whether it would have been sold as box, since it isn't black.

I also recall some story that said the Box leather was referring to leather tanned by a company called Box. However, see here (p.27) for a 1922 letter claiming to have the true background for box leather.
https://books.google.com/books?id=h...9QCZ#v=onepage&q="box leather" origin&f=false

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Nice looking shoes...

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As DWF notes, the Weinheimer/Freudenberg box calf is certainly smooth.

This pair was made from the Weisenheimer 'box calf.'

I have a small hide that I got from A&A Crack that Tony (?) Crack said was from the old Freudenberg tannery. It is a brown leather and has a decided grain. If/when I can remember, I'll take a pic of it and post it. Not certain whether it would have been sold as box, since it isn't black.

I also recall some story that said the Box leather was referring to leather tanned by a company called Box. However, see here (p.27) for a 1922 letter claiming to have the true background for box leather.
https://books.google.com/books?id=h...9QCZ#v=onepage&q="box leather" origin&f=false

Always interesting looking at those old articles - we don't have much of that left in this business.

I had always heard that Haas created Box calf...quick look shows a similar article, dateline 1912, also crediting the Haas Tannery. Interestingly, they also claimed credit for a tannage called 'White Calf'. Perhaps they were all cousins.

One thing I do know is that it is very difficult - has been for quite a few years - to get good deliveries of black calf......except from - yup, Haas. Have to pay up for it, but it's the most reliable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads