• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Late to this conversation, but can leather be also split via sanding the flesh side?

I go back to one of my early realizations: "anything can be done, the question is whether it should be done."

I think splitting leather significantly with an abrasive would generate too much heat to be good for the leather. Plus the abrasive would tend to clog up in a very short time. So lose/lose, IMO.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@VRaivio I gave this a shot last night ad discovered something. I don't think your breath has really any effect. I was able to just slightly pit the surface of the wax with my horn shoehorn and get rid of the spots. It almost seemed as if the spot "popped". After that there's obviously a scuff mark, but it polished over easily. Much easier a fix than stripping and rebuilding the finish, so thanks for this advice. It is interesting that it seems there's air or something in there that gets released almost like if you are putting an adhesive label on something and there's an air bubble that if you prick with a needle you can press it down. This brings a new theory to mind as to what these spots are on shell. Perhaps the water swells the shell and when it evaporates the wax finish remains in this swelled position and needs to be pressed back down.
This is when the burnishing bone series from Abbeyhorn comes to shine.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This brings a new theory to mind as to what these spots are on shell. Perhaps the water swells the shell and when it evaporates the wax finish remains in this swelled position and needs to be pressed back down.

I think that's correct. We can take leather outsoling and wet it and it will swell to a, probably, 25-30% increase in substance (thickness).

Then, after letting it "temper"...almost back to dry state, visually at least...we can "hammer jack" it and reduce the substance to about 25% less than the original. And in the process gain about 50% more density and hardness/rigidity.

But the downside is that if the leather is wet again, it will again swell back up and that density will be lost to some extent.

FWIW, I am not sure what effects water has on leather for good or ill. But most leather working processes rely on water at one point or another--Traditional and historic shoemaking, in particular; saddlemaking; harnessmaking...any Trade or venture that takes a flat piece of leather and transforms it into a three-dimensional artifact.

One particular process even boils it to make "Cuir Bouilli" for use as armour or water jugs (lined with pine pitch or tar).

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
traverscao, and that is why I bought a deerbone from them, gave it a try for that special vintage experiece, and found it poor. The bone managed to scratch several shell shoes, remove colour, and spoil my day. It had nil effect on shine. I'm all for metal spooning these days, but I guess horn spoons would be the romantic choice. It's all about pressure, friction, and seeing the effort.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

traverscao, and that is why I bought a deerbone from them, gave it a try for that special vintage experiece, and found it poor. The bone managed to scratch several shell shoes, remove colour, and spoil my day. It had nil effect on shine. I'm all for metal spooning these days, but I guess horn spoons would be the romantic choice. It's all about pressure, friction, and seeing the effort.

How the hell do you people always manage to screw up with the bone? I've been using it forever and nothing have ever haopened. If the raw shape bone doesn't work out, get a snake head narrow bone. It's not the romantic orgy bullshit. It's a lot safer to use horn anf bone than an aluminum spoon.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

traverscao, and that is why I bought a deerbone from them, gave it a try for that special vintage experiece, and found it poor. The bone managed to scratch several shell shoes, remove colour, and spoil my day. It had nil effect on shine.

How the hell do you people always manage to screw up with the bone? I've been using it forever and nothing have ever haopened. .

I found the Abbeyhorn bone pretty unusable as delivered. It seemed too long, too rough, and I have no idea what you are supposed to do with the joint end. I hacked off the ends, went through a progression of sandpaper up to a fairly high grit before using it, and it works fine. I can easily see how people are scratching their shoes if they are using it unaltered though.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found the Abbeyhorn bone pretty unusable as delivered. It seemed too long, too rough, and I have no idea what you are supposed to do with the joint end. I hacked off the ends, went through a progression of sandpaper up to a fairly high grit before using it, and it works fine. I can easily see how people are scratching their shoes if they are using it unaltered though.

I have the same bone and did nothing to it. I only use the two smooth long sides of it, not the rough middle part of the bone.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, bones are good for shining and compressing leather fibers that are unfinished with wax. I have found using a bone over wax just smears it around. My shoehorn was good for just pushing it and popping those water marks.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, bones are good for shining and compressing leather fibers that are unfinished with wax. I have found using a bone over wax just smears it around. My shoehorn was good for just pushing it and popping those water marks.
I tried rubbing the surface with a touch of water, then add more touches of water on the wax as I burnish the surface with the bone. Gotta admit, on shell cordovan the result is very intriguing, FWIW.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who uses an aluminum spoon? :confused:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Traditional and historic shoemaking

Do you make boots for people that will actually wear them on a ranch/riding, or are they almost exclusively fancy dress boots? If the former, what are the best leathers for a working boot? Is suede in the mix? Is thicker tougher leather from older animals more appropriate? Will calf or buffalo perform acceptably or are they too delicate for riding and work (will the leather rip on a snag, etc)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads