• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, assuming stockists have a representative sample, Addict makes as much stuff out of sheep as they do horse. And I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that there's a good reason for that, even if it's a different vibe than horse.

I was briefly tempted, but I think I'd never actually wear it. But for an Addict in any leather that's a solid price, better than most of the ones I've seen on the secondhand market.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
like lamb its a fragile leather thats fairly thin normally, at 1k+ i'd expect calf or better yet horse, my opinion of course

some of the most expensive leathers are made from lambskin. see fashion brands like slp or italian labels (cucinelli, loro, mandelli)

outside of schott and jackets made in lower-cost countries, you'd be hard pressed to find a good leather for under 1000

calf, horse, lamb, sheepskin, and goat are better thought of in terms of their character than quality/ price

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dieworkwear just because something is expensive does not make it good. From plenty of discussions that both you and I participated in there is an understanding that lamb/sheep is easier to work with and feels more delicate thus making it attractive for leather goods. I think we agree here.

I personally feel that a lot of the “large” fashion houses are selling “quality”. Meaning they market things as being luxury but in reality what they are selling isn’t that great any more. I may be wrong here of course but that’s the way gucci, Burberry, Louis V all feel to me.

But in regards to a sheep Addict leather jacket at 1k+ that feels overpriced to me. I’d rather put the money to James Grose which would be a tad cheaper and can be horse.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear just because something is expensive does not make it good. From plenty of discussions that both you and I participated in there is an understanding that lamb/sheep is easier to work with and feels more delicate thus making it attractive for leather goods. I think we agree here.

I personally feel that a lot of the “large” fashion houses are selling “quality”. Meaning they market things as being luxury but in reality what they are selling isn’t that great any more. I may be wrong here of course but that’s the way gucci, Burberry, Louis V all feel to me.

But in regards to a sheep Addict leather jacket at 1k+ that feels overpriced to me. I’d rather put the money to James Grose which would be a tad cheaper and can be horse.

I'm just saying good has no meaning outside of someone's taste and preferences. There are some things that are genuinely bad, like fast fashion. But most things are just about what you prefer. If you want a soft leather jacket, you'll probably want lamb. If you want something textured, you might want goatskin. If you want something thick and heavy, you'll want cow or horsehide.

I don't know why horsehide would be considered better than any other leather by default. Some guys aren't into that look.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some lambskin jackets are very well made.

That said, if you go to a hide house, lambskin is invariably less expensive than other skins like buffalo or horse, per square foot. That said, in the luxury range, material costs are not the limiting factor - this goes for suiting, shirting, etc.. as well as leather, unless you are using something truly special.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why does a leather jacket have to be heavy and uncomfortable? Do all jeans have to be 48 oz triple starched?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads